Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Muscle cars . . .

First off, I always like old MV's.

My family had a 1965 Dart we used until the early 1980's - ran great with the /6 - just was rusting away. After watching all those Dukes Of hazzard shows - I wanted a 68' Charger. Being I lived on an island - there were slim pickings. I found a 1969 Baracuda fastback for $500. (BTW: It looked like a Ford Mustang and nothing like the later Cuda/Challenger). I rebuild the 318 w/ "J" heads, 3000 rpm stall converter, and 3.91 sure grip small bolt pattern 8.75 rear ended swapped in. It was the 2nd fastest car in HS. (A big $$$ 396 Chevelle was #1).

The Cuda was a bit tough to regularly drive so I got 1965 Coronet 500 and dropped a 1978 440 in it. The engine was kept stock and the gearing a relaxed 3.23. I sold it in post-grad school for a more practical car, which was soon stolen. Then I started driving Jeeps.

Then one day(~1997) I spotted an odd MV at NAPA just East of Gap PA on Rt 30. I later learned it was a M37. I really wanted a WW2 Jeep - but discovered that I was too tall for them. The Dodge came next - Daryl Bensinger was nearby and showed me a few WC51's he had for sale and I fell in love - but kept thinking I wanted doors for Winter use. The M37 is a much more practical truck. So I got one in 1998. I fixed it up and was regularly driving it. Then this guy, Larry Burke in Pittsburgh PA, offered a bit of $$ so I sold it. Regretting that decision and after debating a WC series or a M37 - I picked up another M37 a few years ago.

This M37 has disc brakes and will be getting a V8. Another thing that never changed, my wife hates ALL MV's. She used to like Jeeps - that is until I put a 401 engine, T18 and Dana 60 rear in her CJ which had a worn out 258/904/Model 20 rear with a bent housing that ate axle bearings. Its Dana 44 goes in once I finish narrowing it and setting up the diff.

So, when in central PA, look me up.
    -Drew M.
Working...
X