Oil brand and weight in 239 V6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil brand and weight in 239 V6

I was wondering what you guys use in your 239 V6 engines, in regards to brand but also what weight.

I would use what you used in your previous vehicle.
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

I always use Valvoline oil, and the 83 Dodge I used 10w-40, but the 2006 Chrysler Town and Country called for 5w-20. The reason I asked this question is that there was no owner's manual in the truck, and also because I had never owned a vehicle with this engine before. I enjoy the wisdom and knowledge of those who belong to this forum. Knowledge is power was my high school class motto.

Comment

The manual would probably have the same temperature range chart they've been using for years. Most older Dodge vehicles want 5W30 for most normal outside temps. If the average temp in your area is going to be on the high end or you run the engine hard then you can run a 10W30.

The shift to 5W20 in newer cars is mainly to try and reduce parasitic losses and improve fuel economy. If there are any engine design changes to support this I don't know. I do know that on the modern HEMI V8s using heavier oil does cause problems with the cylinder deactivation system since it is oil operated.

Comment

Originally posted by DB69 View Post
          I always use Valvoline oil, and the 83 Dodge I used 10w-40, but the 2006 Chrysler Town and Country called for 5w-20. The reason I asked this question is that there was no owner's manual in the truck, and also because I had never owned a vehicle with this engine before. I enjoy the wisdom and knowledge of those who belong to this forum. Knowledge is power was my high school class motto.
          OK, I did not anticipate the 5W-20. Don't run that.
          Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Working...
          X