Dreaming of a PW in Australia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dreaming of a PW in Australia

Hello from Australia.How did I catch the Dodge/PW disease?. Easy.I blame a mate here in Australia. He initially started collecting Internationals and Reo's after his significant other bought him his first classic truck.Humouring him I think.Well, it ballooned from there and he is busily collecting.I think it has become a rescue mission because we have city boys going from farm to farm buying scrap metal (including old trucks), crushing them in a mobile scruncher and sending it to Japan to become Toymotas etc.He has found himself collecting anything that needs saving.He then literally gives them away to anybody that loves that make or model.We are losing alot of history

He saved a civilian Dodge dual cab and a panel van (none PW).I was having a tour of his farm and saw them.That was IT.Everyone out here has their Chev or F100 with everything lowered or transplanted.So much so that I begin to wonder if it can now be regarded as a Chev or F100?.There is something about a Dodge that isn't trendy but is just basic hard working and long lasting toughness. My mate saw my drooling over the Dodges and gave me a book on the history of Dodge. From then on I read everything I could find in books or the net just soaking it all up.

Then he gave me a photo of a Power Wagon he saw at a country motor show in a nearby town.I was hooked. I have not been able to see or find another PW out here and it is very frustrating. We are right hand drive out here so PWs would not be a normal import.

I have had to settle for a civilian Dodge 1960 1 1/2 ton cab chassis.It has been partly restored by the previous owner so I can take a deep breath and use my unskilled hands and brain to restore her to her old glory.I will get a sticker on the back that says "When I grow up I want to be a Power Wagon". It will have to do until I can source a full PW or the wreck thereof.

I am so jealous of of you all.You have such full and ready/easy access to the most rugged and pleasing to the eye truck there is.I appreciate Gordon's forethought to establish the site and you guys for keeping it going and posting your stuff.The photos you post are a goldmine for the newbie enthusiast like me and I am in awe of what you have.

I dream of the day when word of mouth gets me my own Power Wagon.There has to be one out here with my name on it.Meanwhile I'll keep reading your posts and making restoration notes.

Regards to all
    Rob

Greetings Rob, and welcome to the forum! Can't say as there's a cure for this disease, 'cause you'd have to WANT to be cured and none of us do.

That's a fine model of truck you have, a real workhorse. You won't hear it often around here on the forum, but a 2WD Dodge with a limited slip rear is VERY capable, and a skilled 2WD driver so equipped can usually keep up with most amateurs in 4X4.

Driven my '67 2WD Dodge all over the place, backwoods, prospecting, deserts and only been stuck twice in 30 years. Both times a 4WD would have been thoroughly stuck too! Have had the opportunity to convert it to 4WD a couple of times and always decided I liked it better as 2WD.

Enjoy what you have and DRIVE IT! post some pics if you can...

JimmieD

Comment

Thanks

G'day JimmieD,
      Thanks for the welcome. I have (fingers crossed) attached a photo of the 1960 Dodge that I hope to have parked in my garage sooner rather than later. I hope that the Listowner doesn't mind a photo of a non Power Wagon on his site.She isn't much and I don't know much about her yet.Her tags were removed by someone when she was initially pulled down for restoration.They are, I suspect, loooong gone.I will have to wait until I get her here to go over and see what exactly I have. Could be a 1/2 ton, 1 ton who knows. A ute is a ute (or pickup).
      Nope, the file was too big.I'll find a way to zip the file and repost.
      Thanks again
      Rob
      Last edited by dodgetragic; 01-13-2007, 03:36 AM. Reason: Forgot name at end

Comment

Entry level Dodge

Hi Guys,
        I am trying yet again to post an attachment.Just keeps saying attachment in progress and then hangs.Operator error on this end I think.Enjoy my entry level Dodge.It will lead to better things I hope.Don't laugh too hard.
        Regards
        Tragic

Comment

Dodgetragic's entry level Dodge ute

Hi Guys,
          This time it worked.If all else fails go back to the beginning and start over.Sorry if my attempts have caused any admin problems for the Listowner.As I said before.Don't laugh to hard at my Dodge.
          Regards
          Tragic
          Attached Files

Comment

Well, brother, it's a DODGE! I would say as kindly as possible, you have your work cut out for you! It's a good looking truck and looks like complete drivetrain less engine and transmission is there?

What kind of Dodge parts sources are down under? I mean, it's a REALLY BIG place so there's gotta be many fellow Dodge nuts around? I've noticed that most Dodges were setup from the factory as potential export vehicles, allowing the steering gear to be swapped to the other side. My '67 Dodge Town Wagon is designed such that the dash cluster could have been intalled on right, with glove box on left, and frame is pre-bent and pre-drilled for right hand drive 'conversion'.

That truck has great potential. We have had many threads on this forum about conveting a 2WD to 4WD. If you could find a donor truck, even a much later model say from the '70's, it is not impossible to swap drivetrains. Yes, a LOT of work, but sometimes well worth it!

Comment

Welcome Rob!

I'm in constant amazment that any vehicle can stay firmly planted on the ground down under there.....= )
              One of our largest and best vendors up here is Vintage Power Wagons (VPW) they found a great many trucks in Thailand and other Southeast Asia countries, left over from both WWII and the Vietnam Era. I've seen a few examples from AUZ show up from time to time on the web.
              Good Luck!
              MN

Comment

Down Under Dodge

Thanks JimmieD and MN,
                Only the quality cars stay attached to the earth down here.Hence why Dodge is still around.My Civvy Dodge is pretty much all there.I don't know what the old fella did to the chassis but it looks pretty good.I didn't get that much time to give her a going over.The cabin was in such good nick that the panel beater declined to do anything to it other than want to prepare if for painting. The base of the back wall, the doors and the turret are all rust free.Not even a blemish and I put that down to the old fella having it garaged for years after he pulled her down.The window rubbers are shot but the glass is all there.I will probably stress about how easy those glass pane suckers are going to come away.In one piece or in pieces??. The owner did nothing himself and outsourced the reconditioning of the engine and gearbox.They are now sitting in crates ready to bolt back in.That is the theory anyways.It doesn't have the original ute back that seems unique to down here.He had one made up that looks like a step side off a F100 or Chev.Mind you it is all steel and cost about $800AUD.He didn't go the cheap way.

There are some Dodge suppliers down here but they seem to start later in the 65 and onwards.I will have to ask around for the 50 to 60 models.I can guarantee that there will not be one in my neighbourhood.I think there is a rubber supplier here but that is going to cost me my right arm I think but what do you do?. I am very lucky that included in the price was a donor truck of the same vintage.That cabin is rusted but all the fiddly bits are there.It is a tray back with duallys.I have seen the odd Fargo and Desote traybacks and utes turn up very rarely in a second hand car collectable magazine we have here.So they are around.

When I get more photos I'll post them
                Take care, Guys
                Regards
                Tragic

Comment

Hi Rob:

There are plenty of guys there with PW's but more so, WC's, the whole reason for the PW's. Maybe if ya check into some MV clubs locally, you'd get some better direction and imput for your area. I have a few friends in OZ, and if ya like, I'll pass your info along to them and maybe they can help.

Later
                  Ugg

Comment

Thanks Ugg

G'Day Ugg,
                    Thanks for the thought, mate.A contact made is a lead followed.I'll do as you suggest and start finding some of the clubs.In the meantime my contact details for your mates are :- Rob (02) 4393 5185. My email is rsforf (at) tpg (dot) com (dot)au. I am on the Central Coast of NSW about 1 hr drive north of Sydney.I appreciate your time and offer Ugg. I have seen the military WCs offered and ,whilst they looked good, I could never justify a six wheeled mammoth parked in the driveway and being used as a social driver.Some of our Moaning Myrtles are up in arms over bullbars on 4WD.They claim they are unnecessary and kill pedestrians.Hello!.Any pedestrian hit by a car is going to have serious helath issues regardless of the vehicle having a bullbar fitted or not.I think these guys would better spend their time making sure their pedestrians didn't jaywalk (as you call it) across 6 lanes of traffic.
                    Regards
                    Take care big fella
                    Tragic

Comment

Yo Tragic (Rob):

Only the 1.5 ton WC's are 6WD. there's a whole bunch of 4x's in either 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton. Mine is a 3/4 ton. The PW's are modeled after the WC's cause when the GI's returned home after the war, they wrote Dodge sayin how much they LOVED the WC's and wondered if Dodge made something in a civilian version. That's why the 1st PW's are from 1946, almost an exact copy of a WC. Go to the WW II scetion here as there are several WC's pictured is some posts. There's someone on another site that has this little bit on his signature. The reason is that there's so many pictures of Jeeps is that they sat around all day while the Dodge's were out, busy working. HA! I'll pass your info along, but be prepared, as I noticed you guys from OZ IS CRAA-ZZY! I like that in a person. HA!

Later
                      Ugg (Not related to the boots, I've had this name since 72)

Comment

Originally posted by Ugg013 View Post
                        Later
                        Ugg (Not related to the boots, I've had this name since 72)
                        I have heard that you are soft and cuddely.....= )
                        MN

Comment

Originally posted by MoparNorm View Post
                          I have heard that you are soft and cuddely.....= )
                          MN

It depends on with whom.......

BLUSH
                          Ugg

Comment

Hey, Tragic, here's a few links for rubber and restoration parts. I haven't done business with them but the first three have excellent reputations. The last posts miscellaneous links.

http://www.clestersauto.com/

http://www.robertsmotorparts.com/truck_parts.asp

http://www.restorationspecialties.com/

http://www.dodgeclassictrucks.com/newretroparts.html

You should be able to find much of what you'll need through these various links.

JimmieD

Comment

Thanks JimmieD

G'Day JimmieD,
                              Many

Comment

Working...
                              X