Why Dodges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Dodges

My 1st vehicle was a '38 Dodge 1/2 ton pu and my 2nd was a '53 Plymouth. My uncle worked for a Chrysler dealership and raced dragsters back in the 50's and 60's. So I was a MOPAR guy from the git go! Dodges were all my father ever owned (except for Jeeps).

My aunt worked at the Dealer and my Parents drove them. The only Chevy we had while I was growing up crapped out as soon as the warranty was over and until a year ago my parents never went back. My Pop's favorite Truck was a 71 Heavy Half in Super Banana Yellow with the Black Vinyl Top. The 68 with the Auto on the Dash was great also. His first PW was a 78.
    I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
    Will
    WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
    1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
    1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
    1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
    2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

Isn't the Heavy Half a...ahem..Chevy package?
      1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
      1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
      2001 Dodge 2500 (Dish...formerly Maney's Mopar)
      1978 Suzuki GS1000EC (fulfills the need...the need for speed)
      1954 Ford 860 tractor
      1966 Chrysler LS 16 sailboat (as yet un-named)
      UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FITS

Comment

I don't know, the Dodges my Pop always ordered were 1/2 ton's with extra GVW capacity, and he always called them heavy half. He wasn't into the 3/4 tons back then they way he is now, but out trucks always hauled more than other any other 1/2 tons in the area.
        I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
        Will
        WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
        1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
        1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
        1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
        2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

Ah..thats what confused me. Chevy used to have a decale on the box of their 70's (?) vintage 4x4 1/2 ton pickups..."Heavy Half".

DAB
          1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
          1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
          1954 Ford 860 tractor

Comment

Just to add....

Originally posted by Cheyenne Dave
            Isn't the Heavy Half a...ahem..Chevy package?
            gm never had an original idea, just as the Sunburban is copied from the early Plymouth Suburban Wagon, the "Heavy Half" is a term from the Sweptline Era, you will find Dodge half tons with more rating capacity than either ferd or gm 3/4 tons. You'll find 3/4 ton axles with 8 lugs and a frame and drive train identical to the 200 series Dodges on early 100series Dodges.
            MN

Comment

What year is the Suburban wagon you speak of? Guess I'm not familiar with it. I know the Chevy Suburban goes back to 1940.

As far as original ideas...you know the staggered rear axle shock system everyone uses now? GM introduced that one.

You know the Plymouth Voyager mini-van? That name plate was used on a Mercury station wagon before anyone heard of a min-van.

Toyaota's LandCuiser?...sorry, Studebaker had it first. Even the Power Wagon gets half it's name from REO.

So whats the point?

Exactly...there is none. I find it tiresome and small minded that there are those that are so one-brand loyal they can't see the good points of others. You can go on and on with all this but you'll be doing it alone.

Enjoy
              1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
              1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
              1954 Ford 860 tractor

Comment

Gee Dave.....

...since I was out all week, I guess you were going it alone...
                What put a burr under your saddle? Hope you're over what ever was bothering you.

The Plymouth and Dodge Westchester Suburban Station Wagon was introduced in 1933. However the Screenside Panel from which the Suburban came, was first introduced in 1918. The Suburban name plate was used from that time until Dodge discontinued it in the 40's. That is when gm jumped upon the name and started using it on their panel trucks.
                I wasn't denegrating gm, they can do that themselves, I am however rather irritated when gm claims something that is a lie such as their TV ad about the history of the Sunburban.
                I'll continue to set the record straight with factual knowledge whenever I see an error.
                I mistook your comment as a question and I was just trying to clarify the origin of the Heavy Half, if I decide to bash gm it will be a long and unmistakeable tirade in article format.
                I had no intentions of ruffling your feathers, just trying to inform. Brand loyalty, for me, is not a matter of blind allegiance, but a decision based upon 50+ years of experience, knowledge and information, real world application and real world pocket book repairs. Some people go through life with luck in their brand of vehicles, some have problems with every brand and some ignorantly pay too much for too little, without a care in the world.
                Some might take it personal that you just called them ignorant and small minded ..... but I'm just considering that you somehow misread my post......
                MN

Comment

Working...
                X