Longer Ago, but not so Far Away,...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Longer Ago, but not so Far Away,...

It must have been 1953, so this would be a fifty year old story. Dad had just bought his first work truck and called mom on the party line. (that's the original phone system, for you youngsters with surgically implanted cell phones) It took big news in those days in order to merit use of a telephone, not the mindless, I've got nothing else to do pap of most of todays phone calls.

Dad was coming home with his new truck!!! The truck was actually used, but it was still huge news in the days when buying anything new was an unheard of luxury. We waited eagerly as Dad drove down the road and into our driveway.

It was nearly dark as I ran up to the front of that massive Dodge Red, 5 window cab, Pilot House. I'm not even sure what year it was, from looking at the old faded pictures it was a '48 to '50, but I loved that old truck, it was the first truck I had ever seen up close, the noise and smells, the hard metal dash, the bouncy ride, all oozed power and strength.

Dad kept that truck for several years, until he was issued a company truck by his company. Once he had a company truck, a truck for personal use must have been calling to him from the Great Dodge beyond and in 1964 he drove home with a W200, another Dodge Red beauty. I know much, much more about that 39 year old truck, it sits in my shop today and is affectionately known now as the 'Parts Pile' due to the 3 year long restoration it is undergoing, "in my spare time". As I type this I realize that I'd better get it in gear if I want the truck to be on the road for it's 40th Birthday!

The '64 is awesome with many, many more memories than the Pilot House, and I have owed, many, many Dodges in the intervening years, but the one Dodge that still is vividly etched in my memory, is the first Dodge Red truck that I ever saw, that night many years ago, when Dad drove it pridefully home.

MoparNorm
    Last edited by MoparNorm; 04-04-2006, 10:25 AM. Reason: from my late Great Aunt Vera's picture collection...

Six cylinders, three speeds

The party line we were first on when I was a kid had eight phones on it. Consider that. It was pretty difficult at times to make a call.

I understand the unlikely possibility of buying something new. All of the cars my parents had when I was young were purchased used. There were, in this order, 1941, 1948, and 1956 Plymouth two door sedans with six cylinder engines and three speed transmissions. Then there was a 1960 Dodge Dart, a slant six and three speed. It was a four door, and none of us could really see the need for those extra doors. All of them great cars.

You wrote a really wonderful account of your history. Thank you. I can picture it from the eyes and mind of a little kid seeing that grand truck roll in the driveway.
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Gordon,
      I never saw much use in those extra rear doors either,... until CA required the little ones to be placed in car seats in the late 70's. What an abominable exercise to place babies into the rear seat of a two door! ha!ha!

MN

Comment

Added a photo today, but it didn't bump it to the top, so I am posting to bump the post up because I was such a cute kid! ha!ha!
        MN

Comment

Norm, Another well told story. I enjoy, and can relate to your accounts of childhood, people and Dodges. Keep them coming. When I was a kid my Granddad drove a 1948 Dodge Sedan and employed a 1950 something Power Wagon on the farm. Dad followed in his footsteps, owning a string of Dodges and Plymouths. I don't remember there being any Mopar or Dodge conversation between them, but neither of them ever owned anything but.

My first car was an affordable, used 1974 Chevy Vega. When I pulled in the driveway with my new used car, I was met by my dad, and his disapproval. After cursing the car awhile, he informed me that my Dodge ancestry was not coincidental. He allowed me to keep the car and helped me keep it in running condition for the next couple of years but cursed everytime we opened the hood.

Comment

Ha!Ha! It was an unspoken law, did he also look at you like"...I raised you better than that!" ha!ha!
            My Grandpa had a '29 Dodge, so it wore off on my Dad. I never heard any rah, rah talk about Dodges, just a simple "Dodges have the best engines and drivetrain"..in conversations with his friends, and they'd nod their heads in agreement, it was just always implied that if you were smart, you drove Mopars and if you weren't so smart, or had money to burn you drove the "others". Except for company work trucks that my Dad had, there was never anything but Jeeps and Dodge trucks in our household, and one very beautiful 1956 Chrysler Windsor that we bought used in 1958 or so, it was the newest thing we had ever bought until we bought our first new truck, an FC170 in 1959.

MN

Comment

Yes, a great memory there, Norm, and like Gordon said, thanks for letting us share it. I still like those old Pilot House era trucks, but for practical purposes the 'Parts Pile' is the real deal! My father had a '56 Chrysler Windsor too, with the 354 Hemi. Pretty much a luxo barge til about 4,000 rpm, then that monster within would awaken! I think they're still looking for me, or at least talking about it...being as a buddy worked for Keith Black Performance and did a little 'wrench twisting' here and there, with no complaints from my pop!

Kevin reminded me that the first vehicle of my dad's that I clearly remember was a 46-48 Dodge 4 door sedan that we kids named 'The Grey Ghost'. Enough steel for 3 cars. Somewhere in there he bought a Hudson Hornet with the hot 6, '3/4 cam' as he called it, dual carbs and dual exhaust. More like a 7/8 cam as it devoured anything with wheels anywhere around and ate rear ends almost monthly!

Thanks for the memories.....

Comment

My parents brush painted several cars, and they were really good at it. They painted a 1948 Plymouth, and my mother painted a car all by herself once. The kids I had as automotive students could not believe it was done with a brush.

Good memories.
                Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Interesting you mention that, Gordon. There are a couple of VERY long threads on other forums describing painting cars with a brush and Rustoleum Tremclad paint. Tremclad is a Canadian name but I have links to the stuff. They describe good prep, then brushing it on and after it's dry simply sand between coats, similar to the old 'hand rubbed lacquer' paintjobs. I saw a couple of car pics posted there and it looked very nice indeed, just a lot of labor is all.

JimmieD

Comment

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/...page=0#2348049

Link to the forum threads about brush painting. There were 2 different threads on different websites and one had some profanities so I hope nobody is offended if this is the one [but I don't think it is].

Comment

OK, now I've got to tell a story on myself! My first vehicle was a CJ5. Dad was a stickler for good grades and mine weren't, so no grades, no drivers license. I could buy the Jeep but I couldn't drive it, it was self inflicted torture, as I owned the Jeep for nearly a year before I could drive it, so it was a complete tear down with new trans, V-8, cut down Lincoln axles, chevy steering, etc. etc. The body was beat and I restored it to mint, over 600 hours of bodywork, sanding, primer, etc. I could not find a painter to paint it the color that I wanted, George Barris, Candy Apple Green, so I bought about 20 cans from the local speed shop and rattle can'd it! Lay down a coat and color sand, lay down another coat, until it was perfect and no one could tell that it wasn't a $200 paint job! (keep in mind that this was 1966 and $200 went a long way in those days! Earl Schieb was $19.95 ha!ha!) I sold the Jeep when I went into the Army (big mistake!) I saw it one day years later, the guy had painted it in yellow house paint with a brush, I didn't have a gun, so he lived........= )
                      The only color photo that I could find on short notice, something over the
                      lens!

MN
                      Last edited by MoparNorm; 04-05-2006, 10:05 PM. Reason: added photo.

Comment

Ha!Ha! It was an unspoken law, did he also look at you like"...I raised you better th

Norm, Although I can still see the look on his face, I can't describe it. He had a habit of just shaking his head and saying nothing when I had done something dumb, but this time he was very vocal. "What kind of dope smokin', pill poppin', hippie freak kinda car is that?" were his exact words.

Comment

Ha!Ha! Priceless!
                          MN

Comment

Old Mopars

Ok....my 2 cents. One good memory for me is riding in the back of my uncles 48 Chrysler 4 door. Black in color, cool vent windows on all four doors, lots of kids inside too. Cloth upholstery, big grab rope behind the front seat...just fun for me in the early 60's.
                            AND THEN........in the late 70's, my horror when my Dad tells me that they buried the car at the edge of the pasture near the far end of the farm. Yep, I said buried. I have a mental picture of the poor backhoe operator that came along when the subdivision was being built and hits 48 Mopar with the bucket..or is it still under the dirt in someone's yard??

Comment

"It was a dark and dreary night with a fierce wind howling as storms mercilessly beat out their fury on the earth below. None could remember a night quite like this as they cowered in their homes. Suddenly a gigantic bolt of lightning pierced the jet black sky and struck the earth, where once there was nothing but idylic fields where cattle roamed.

The ground smoldered form the violent charge and somewhere deep within a mournful groan was heard. Unknown to those around the ground slowly rose and swelled as nearby trees quaked in fear and the earth trembled from within. Higher and higher the land was lifted until suddenly, from far below, with a screaming and torturous growl, the cold steel ghost of days gone by reared it glistening hood. With headlights blazing and motor rumblin back to life it burst from its confines that all would see: The Dodge from Watt was alive, ALIVE!!!"

Comment

Working...
                              X