Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small farm turned me to PW's craziest fan in Saudi

Hello All,

Even though I spent 10 years of my life in my 2nd home, The Unites States of America, I have never seen a power wagon in US. I came back to Saudi and took some road trips, I came a cross small farm where I found this weird looking truck. Here are the pix I took for the truck before I got the PW disease.

After I did some research, I found out the truck is a dodge and called a power wagon. Locally they call it "BAAR WYGAN", and it was used by the military, National guards, cost guards, and the oil company.

I still think this one could be the oldest one exists in Saudi, because for two years now I am going around the country and went through 100's of junkyards but never seen anything like this one.

Now, I enjoy going around the country digging for power wagon parts and trucks in junkyards and farms. Finding a new find is like winning the lottorey since they are becoming hard to find in Saudi. One reason that making them hard to find is the STEEL factories in Saudi.....

Regards,

Ibrahim

More pix

Comment

Welcome!
      I don't know much about the WC52, but in all likely hood this is what your discovery started life as....

I have found several old Dodges abandon in the American Desert, but that was 4 decades ago and they are too rare and valuable to find like that these days.

Comment

Great Pictures

Hello Again Ibrahim,
        Thanks for more pics, be careful which pics you post, there are guys here that will come looking for lesser rigs to restore! lol
        Thanks Again,

Comment

Ibrahim:

Like Bruce said, I've seen ones in MUCH worse condition getting all fixed up. COOL!

Later
          Ugg

Comment

MoparNorm,

I really didn't think that the wc52 even exist in Saudi, this is great discovery to be honest with you. From the look of the truck it look like it has been there for over 40 years from the look of it. I have never seen one look like the one you posted in Saudi. I might go back to it and try to take it, it is lying there in the middle of no where except the farm next to it.

Bruce,

lol I don't think even the spy satellite can find this one.

Ugg013

You made me think of restoring this one, but it is missing so much and no resources for it here.

Thanks

Comment

Ibrahim:

But there ARE resources available. Midwest Military and Vintage Power Wagon to name a couple. Now shipping might be a killer. There are also MANY European resorces which would probably be less in shipping costs. Oh man, if I found that just layin there, it'da been grabbed a long time ago. HA!

Later
              Ugg

Comment

I Rest My CAse

There you have it, this truck wouldv'e been in UggVille so fast..........

Comment

Ugg013

I really didn't think of moving this truck till I got home and read your replies. True I can buy parts from the US, but shipping will be a nightmare. What European resources? Do they really exist? If you have any info please pass it to me.

Bruce

You think so? lol

Comment

Ugg's The

Kind of person, (no offense Uggy, I would too) if it didn't belong to someone & it wasn't nailed down, had been there 40 years, the sun was out, the moon was up. Well you get the picture.
                    Could've been to Stanford Hill Farm as well. ;~)
                    Last edited by Bruce; 02-24-2007, 04:50 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by PW in Saudi View Post
                      MoparNorm,

I really didn't think that the wc52 even exist in Saudi, this is great discovery to be honest with you. From the look of the truck it look like it has been there for over 40 years from the look of it. I have never seen one look like the one you posted in Saudi. I might go back to it and try to take it, it is lying there in the middle of no where except the farm next to it...
                      Thanks
                      It may be exactly 64 years lying there. Initially I thought that it may have been loaned to the British, but from a web search of WWII, I found the following information:
                      Althought Saudi Arabia never actively participated in the conflict, it did sever diplomatic relations with Germany on 11/09/1939. In October of 1941, it did likewise with Japan. During the war, United States elevated its own influence in the country, especially after the petroleum Aramco consortium was granted a licence from the royal government that permitted it to extract petroleum on two-thirds of the kingdom's territory. In 1943 U.S. officially established diplomatic relations with Saudi Arabia and subsequently began construction of an air base there, in vicinity of Zahran (Dhahran). On 28/02/1945 the kingdom formally declared war on Germany and Japan. Saudi Arabia is a co-founding member of the League of Arab Countries (on 22/03/1945), and it was admitted to the U.N. on 24/10/1945.

So , not to give away the trucks location, the American Army and Army Air Force were invited to come to Saudi, in 1943, so that WC52 is most likely a survivor of the effort between our countries to defeat Hitler.

Comment

MoparNorm,

Great info you have there, the problem here is that the truck is far away from Dhahran, and at that time road in Saudi is not there I guess. Also, no oil in that part of the country, and by the look of it you can tell it has been lying there for many years. So how the truck got there is a mystery. Now you really put to me to the test, knowing me, I have to go there and CAMP till I found out how it got there and how to move it.

Comment

Ha!Ha!
                          As for not being near the "correct" area, I'm sure that it was sold as surplus after the war, or "borrowed". Many USA vehicles were left in the countries we were stationed at. We shipped so many thousands of vehicles that it was sometimes more economical in the long run to leave them, either abandoned or as gifts.
                          Besides a Dodge in that condition could still travel a long ways...and doesn't NEED a road!

Comment

Working...
                          X