The WC53 Carryall thread .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WC53 Project

Got the body on. My boys were gone, so me and my 10 year girl put in on. It went on easy, with some help from the forklift. Also gave it a bath to wash the dust off. The paint matches perfect, considering it was three different batches.

James

Comment

• An other picture

Comment

• Front bumper

I see you have that custom front bumper just about finished . I like the hangers but I think you need some olive drab ones out of an ww2 airplane .

Comment

• Good job James.

You and your daughter did good.

Comment

• Really nice work. I only hope mine comes out 1/2 that nice.

does anyone have a pic and or dimension of a carryall gas tank.

Comment

• Gas Tank Dimensions

9.25" x 22" x 35.5 "

Comment

• Thank you Bruce

Comment

• FINALLY! The day I've been looking forward to for so long. I have wanted one of these trucks since the first time I ever saw a picture of one on the back of an OLD issue of an MVPA magazine I believe it was.

I had a friend that went to Groton Conn. for work, (Navy Nuke) and while he was there retrieved a WC56 frame and rolling gear. He brought that back to me in Chesapeake, Va. (Virginia Beach area). This past Thursday morning I loaded up my gooseneck trailer with the WC56 rolling frame, my wife, and two good buddies of mine. We made the trek from Chesapeake, Va, to Baton Rouge LA, and then back in less than 4 days. Total driving time was about 23 hours as we took a few scenic detours on our way home. Went down through LA, and hauled the Carryall back across the Lake Pontchartrain Causeway, which is the 2nd longest roadway bridge in the world, and longest in the United States.

The truck previously belonged to McInfantry, who I am sure many of you are familiar with. He had nearly completed his resto-mod and was frequently driving the truck when it was hit and greatly damaged. I purchased from him the damaged body and frame with a decent number of interior and exterior parts that are unique to the WC53 and can't be used on his WC56. I have found my own fenders, radiator shell and a few other items to get me started.

When we got to Baton Rouge, Lee was very welcoming and great through the whole transfer. We put the axles and springs from the WC56 under the WC53 as he was keeping his drivetrain for his next project. The spring swap went super fast on Friday afternoon, so after leaving the notary, Lee met my group at our hotel and we followed him into town for one of the best seafood meals I have ever had! It was amazing! Overall it was a great trip!

The plans are to also go with the 4bt, actually I really really want a QSB 4.5. 4l80E transmission, Dana 60 front, Eaton HO72 Rear, and a bunch of other neat little things.

Just got home with it and unloaded it 2 hours ago. Total length of the trip was 2,260 miles! Just for this truck! Thats how much I wanted it!

Here are some pictures...

In Alabama after the first day of driving... Truck, trailer, WC56 frame.

Loaded, and stopping for fuel off of I-55 before heading into New Orleans.

And lastly, at the end of the trip, the truck in my yard waiting for me to kick my old '65 Mustang out of the shop so it can have a new place to occupy for the duration of the build.

1942 WC53 Carryall in progress.

Comment

• AWESOME! You're a lucky guy! Hope to see your project pics here.

Comment

• Nice! 23 hours in the truck is a lot less than the time required to fix up something in much worse shape.

If you can find the engine you might be back on the road before me! Good luck!

Comment

• Too bad his isuszu diesel wasn't still in the frame! :)

Comment

• Sounds more like a 4bt to me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9iciC8t3rI

That does not sound like a izoozoo to me . Going back in the thread and I suspect there are some pictures of what motor was in the that Carryall.

Comment

• He had a mechanical pump 4bt in the truck with a 4L80E auto transmission. Dodge Dana 60 front and a 14 Bolt 10.5" RG rear with air lockers in both axles. He was running 38" Michelin XLs on Hutchinson Beadlocks. I am currently looking for a set of hutchinsons, and I already have a Ford D60 front, and an Eaton rear. I am leaving a good bit of the truck the way Lee had it before, but at the same time am making a fair number of changes and going back over a few little things. I'm looking forward to see his old driveline stuffed into his new WC56 project! That will be very unique!

I do, however, have my work cut out for me. For the lack of a better term, the rear is quite smooshed and needs a deal of attention. There is a guy local to me that has a fairly complete, but still unrestored carryall that I am hoping he will let me pull dimensions from his truck to make some templates so that I can build a reference point to start pushing sheetmetal back out to.

What do you guys think? Think this can be fixed?

1942 WC53 Carryall in progress.

Comment

• Tin work

Its all fixable. Looks like the steel floor help save this one from some major damage. Your tail gate is fixable, check out the pictures from Archie, back in this thread, very imformatied on the frame structure. You will definately need a new skin. I used a highlift jack to make things straight. If you have the money, John at MWM has a new repo tailgate....$1400 plus shipping.

James

Comment

• Yes it is fixable

Start with a 4 ton port a power . Use your brain . Jack a bit here and a little there . Watch how far it moves and how far it bounces back . if you can get a unit with a pressure guage it is a bit easier to know how much pressure you need to use . To start with leave the gates in place . At some point you will need to tap here and there on the metal with a dolly or a body hammer . Most of the outside sheet metal should come straight without any hammer work .
                                Just how available are parts for your eaton rear ?

Comment

Working...
                                X