The WC53 Carryall thread .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The WC53 Carryall thread .

Ok guys here we go with shots and commentary on all things carryall. Here is a shot of a custom running board for my Dodge carryall . I tried to get the look of the stock roll in the leading edge . The board is made from 1/8th checker plate , 1/8th band iron and schedule 40 pipe . I have yet to figure out if I am using the original supports or make stronger , jackable new supports .

Bruce

HSLATT....... custom license plate ?

LINKS
    http://imageevent.com/moparnorm/carryalls A gallery of carryall shots

http://imageevent.com/moosecreekmaple Pauls wonderful site

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXpC...&frags=pl%2Cwn a short video of a creek crossing on one of my first trips out, the creek is deeper than it looks.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Bruce in BC; 05-30-2019, 11:33 PM.

outside edge of running board

I need a way to clean up the outside welds between the checkerplate and schedule 40 . In the background you can just make out my rebuilt 205 and 1/2 finished sandblast cabinet .

Bruce
    Attached Files

Comment

Hey Bruce!
      Change that focus, the fender looks like I forgot my reading glasses and the background is sharp as a tack! ha!ha!
      Too much "cleaning" on the weld is going to ruin the seam, maybe one of those round 3M pads that attach to a drill motor? They'd work great on removing the rust around the diamonds also.
      As for jacking on the running boards...I don't think you can make a support of any strength that would allow that, at that location, you'll either dent the running board or the support, depending upon how you were stuck or the amount of weight in the truck at the time....It's a real problem with a hi-lift (is that what you are thinking?) to find a good lift point. I sometimes place the jack inside the 2" hitch receiver, but the hi-lift is so unstable that you have to be very careful about going too high.
      Now, if you could figure out an independent type of support that attached directly to the frame and was hidden by the running board, and didn't hang down too far to cause ground clearance issues, that just might work, but remember we can't weld on these frames so.....
      Can you take a picture (in focus) of the frame in that area, Ed keeps his Carryall locked up for some reason and I can't get a look at that section right now.
      MN

Comment

BC Bruce:

Neat! Glad your FINALLY getting some pictures posted. HA! Hey, how'd ya get those rounded on the sides of the RB's? I've got a custom drivers side RB, but want the original look with the dip for the spare and all, even though I won't install a spare there unless I figure a way to make it swing out like the M 37"s.

Ya know, maybe if ya installed nerf bars under the RB's, you'd be able to use em as jacking points? I mean true nerf bars, and not the show type ya see on most vehicles these days.

Later
        Ugg

Comment

Front view of a home made bumper

Building a front bumper is not all that onerous . Access to a brake that will bend 1/4" plate is an asset and if you wish to build a stock bumper access to a press will save you some time too . This bumper is made from three pieces of 1/4 inch . The ends are radiused in , much like the original bumpers . The top is a right angle bend the bottom has two 45 degree bends in it .
          The bumper is not attached to the frame because I have yet to get a winch . I want the bumper as close to the tire as possible in an effort to keep the aproach angle at its maximum.

HSLATT

Bruce

XZL on the drivers side , stock 89 Dodge 1 ton on the passenger.

I did not know I could focus a digital camera...........
          Attached Files

Comment

BC Bruce:

Sweet! So, I take it ya ain't gonna share the secret of how ya got the curves in the sides of the RB's, huh? HA!

Later
            Ugg

Comment

Radius edge on running board.

I have never liked the sharp edge created when a normal brake is used to bend the plate . There are 2 easy ways to get a radius .

(1) Open up the jaws on a brake and put a round piece of steel in , add the plate to be bent and then bend away . Practice on some junk first , but most shops can bend a radius this way .

(2) Use a real big press with a radius die in the top form and a standard right angle female die in the other . Many technical training institutes have equipment like this and you can give them a donation and let a student bend the plate for you . Keep in mind that if the student screws up you do not get to complain .

I paid a shop to bend them for 60 bucks - He had to set up the machine .
              I found a different shop that charges 5 bucks a bend or 60 an hour , whatever is cheapest . No set up charges . I now use them . Much nicer peoples too . The bumper cost 30 bucks to bend 9 fold . " I 'll charge you for 1/2 an hour ,how does that sound ? "

Bruce
              Last edited by Bruce in BC; 01-15-2007, 10:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce in BC View Post
                I did not know I could focus a digital camera...........
                You can if you get the proper distance and let the lens adjust before you snap the photo...or have 6 fewer beers....= )
                Do you have a manual setting?
                That's a great find on the shop rates, Canadian or USD?
                Nice work!
                MN

Comment

Hey Bruce,
                  Nice work on R B's. Did your daughter show you how to post the pics?
                  My kids are alot smarter on the computer than I am, for some reason.

Comment

Updates and outtakes.

I figured out how to machine the inside of my dana 70 housing. I will shoot some shots of what I did and publish them in the tech section or send them to PWA . In short it took 2 pieces of high density board made into pucks where the carrier bearing go . Tone puck is drilled through the center and used as a steady rest . Add a long rod to the other puck and glue some wet and dry to the flat surface . Sort of a sanding disc with a 4 foot long shaft . . Bath it in oil , and abrade away . Change the wet and dry often and clean out the saddles of any slurry so that the only thing that gets ground is the case sides.
                    Hey there Jake , my daughter showed me how to send the photos and she is still helping . It will take a few more times before I can go solo.
                    And Norm the shop rates are Canadian . Sometimes living away from a major city has benifits.
                    Hitting another slow period I think . I more or less stared at the truck for an hour tonite . Time for a break .
                    My second transfer case will be arriving in a few weeks and I am looking forward to that .
                    I am now 100% certain that I should have bought a late model roll over and rebodied the thing . A late model PW would be perfect . Except for the motor and that dumb front axle and....

take care

Bruce

Comment

I figured out how to machine the inside of my dana 70 housing. I will shoot some shots of what I did and publish them in the tech section or send them to PWA . In short it took 2 pieces of high density board made into pucks where the carrier bearing go . Tone puck is drilled through the center and used as a steady rest . Add a long rod to the other puck and glue some wet and dry to the flat surface . Sort of a sanding disc with a 4 foot long shaft . . Bath it in oil , and abrade away . Change the wet and dry often and clean out the saddles of any slurry so that the only thing that gets ground is the case sides.
                      Hey there Jake , my daughter showed me how to send the photos and she is still helping . It will take a few more times before I can go solo.
                      And Norm the shop rates are Canadian . Sometimes living away from a major city has benifits.
                      Hitting another slow period I think . I more or less stared at the truck for an hour tonite . Time for a break .
                      My second transfer case will be arriving in a few weeks and I am looking forward to that .
                      I am now 100% certain that I should have bought a late model roll over and rebodied the thing . A late model PW would be perfect . Except for the motor and that dumb front axle and....

take care

Bruce

Bruce, let's make that an article for the magazine, OK?

Thank you....

Gordon
                      Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Yo BC Bruce:

Why don't ya hop the next Artic Clipper and drop by and lend a hand on the Beast. You should be used to workin in the single digit cold outside under a collapsed tent. Then maybe we can get somewhere with it. HA! All kiddin aside, your comin along fine with your Carryall, and can't wait to see it done.

Later
                        Ugg

Comment

I figured out how to machine the inside of my dana 70 housing.... I am now 100% certain that I should have bought a late model roll over and rebodied the thing . A late model PW would be perfect . Except for the motor and that dumb front axle and....
                          take care

Bruce
                          Bruce,
                          A man with your talents should not be slowed down by the CAD axle. This axle started out as a CAD, I removed the tube and installed a one piece tube, no one can tell now...except when I say ..."look what I did!" ha!ha!

MN

Comment

I thought the cad axle was drivers side drop.

I was under the impression that the CAD axle started in 94 at the same time that Dodge went to the drivers side drop . The CAD axle uses air to engage a 2 piece axle on the long passenger side . This design was created in an effort to make it possible for some lazy smuck to engage 4 wheel drive without getting out and putting in the hubs . Because this axle has one wheel driving the differential gears at all times the gas milage drops and we pollute the world a little bit more .
                            Where am I wrong on this ?
                            I see the thread got moved . My original intention with this thread was to create area where anyone with a WC53 would post their ideas and pictures. The idea being if you typed in WC53 in a search engine you would end up here . I know there is alot of my stuff on this thread. but I was tossing off this and that in an effort to keep the thread active and encourage a few other WC53 owners to join in .
                            To be honest I am not sure this is the place to be . Yes I have a bunch of conversion stuff but it would be real nice for all owners of WC53 to have a site that has a focus on WC53 s in general . To be honest I figured it would be only a matter of time before Ugg , Lee . Paul or Dan started to toss in photos of their stuff.

Comment

im thinking about setting up a wc web page with a mini-forum, and pic and ideas.

im working on mine and i still think a dodge d60 external hub is the solution. it fits well on mine and lets me mount the cummins incredible incredibly low. 14 bolt is a real nice fit too.

Comment

Working...
                              X