• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Matthew Welcher PWA View Post
    "Promise to replace them, trust."
    I can hear his voice

Comment

Working with the front motor mount plate that is part of the Ugly Truckling kit, gave me a few issues. Getting the correct brackets pulleys and spacers to set up the power steering pump was something that was challenging but interesting. I researched several options and knowing that space under the hood would be limited I decided on an off road KRC Power steering system.

Space for a mechanical fuel pump is also limited with this plate and creates some issues with fuel line routing. CRF Pulleys also makes very good quality and reasonably priced pulley kits for the small block Mopar. Not having a donor engine made the need to outsource many of the accessories, and our scour the yard for organ donors.
      Attached Files
      1967 W200.aka.Hank
      1946 WDX.aka.Shorty
      2012 Ram 2500 PowerWagon.aka Ollie

Life is easier in a lower gear.

Comment

I will have to do some reading on that Ps pump set up as I need something like that for a project.

Tidy your doing

Comment

The pump ended up working very well, the pump itself is very small bodied and the fluid tank sits off to the side and is very small as well. It was easy to adjust and worked well beyond my expectations as far as a small pump moving 37 inch tires. While speaking to the company this pump as I recall was good for up to a 40 inch aggressive tire. Very easy to bleed the air from and the steering was smooth and no noise from the pump at all.
          1967 W200.aka.Hank
          1946 WDX.aka.Shorty

Comment

Matt - where have you or will you end up putting the battery tray. We put a 360 in a 1950, plus master cylinder and handing pedals. The engine compartment is getting pretty tight....which has led to a discussion on where to put the battery. Good to know about that PS Pump option. I have the pump from a 1985 W250 on mine. It mounts on the outside of the frame, so wheel and tire selection is going to be critical for tire clearance on that pump. Might end up moving to something like what you've done. All of your work looks really nice.

Comment

• Matthew Welcher PWA
              Matthew Welcher PWA commented
              Editing a comment
              That was a problem that I had as well, I ended up using a spring loaded drop down battery box and mounted it along side the out side of the frame on the drivers side under the cab, I will post a picture and if you look behind the front left tire and under the running board you can see it. The battery bok has a lever on the side you can pull and the battery and box dropped down easily to remove the battery and or get to the connections if need be.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 1 photos.
            1967 W200.aka.Hank
            1946 WDX.aka.Shorty

Comment

So, I'm guessing you built the battery box or did you have a starting point?

Thanks for the help.

Comment

This box, I purchased from Jegs motorsports.
                I will find the link and share it.
                1967 W200.aka.Hank
                1946 WDX.aka.Shorty

Comment

With the frame prepped, painted and done, the engine and transmission in place and rebuilt differentials with 4.89 gears, disc brakes on all four corners it was really starting to come together.

The Fuel tank was built by Chris Case and fit like a glove and gave it the extra capacity for cross country trips.

More phone calls and emails with the customer set in stone additional plans for what was to be done with the truck. Luckily the body of this truck was 99 percent rust free, faded from sitting in

the Nevada desert all it really needed was a few days of cutting and buffing the old faded paint out.

The truck needed to be able to pull a Bambi type air stream trailer so designing a hitch and making sure it had functional trailer brakes were a must.

The days were growing longer and the amount of time spent trying to figure out the best ways to attach things build brackets, and have it be as functional as possible at times had me scratching

my head more than building or wrenching.

Someone along the way had built a diamond plate wrap around rear bumper on the truck, It made an excellent step to get into the truck but made it hard to hook up to a trailer.

The rear bumper had to be modified and rear lights needed to be mounted for night time work.

All through the project keeping in mind it had to stay looking like a Power Wagon.

The 17 inch Budd tubeless wheels made for fantastic wheels wrapped in 37 12.50 17 BF Goodrich all terrains made a logical choice for being both a good Highway tire along with working some

off road.

​​​​​​​
                  1967 W200.aka.Hank
                  1946 WDX.aka.Shorty

Comment

Here are some pictures of it coming together.
                    This gallery has 8 photos.
                    1967 W200.aka.Hank
                    1946 WDX.aka.Shorty

Comment

Matt, I'd love to see some detail pictures of the battery box, I'm wrestling with a similar situation on the 6x6.
                      Nice job on the project.
                      Greg Coffin
                      Unrepentant Dodge Enthusiast

1951 Dodge M37 - Bone Stock
                      1958 Dodge M37 - Ex-Forest Service Brush Truck
                      1962 M37-B1 - Work in Progress
                      1962 Dodge WM300 Power Wagon - Factory 251, 4.89s
                      1944/1957 Dodge WM500T 6x6 Power Wagon - LA318-3, NP435, 5.83s, Power Steering, Undercab Power Brakes
                      1974 Dodge W200 - 360/727, Factory Sno-Fighter Package

Comment

Here is a link to the exact box that I used on this build, I wish i would have taken more pictures, there are a ton of small details and things that I designed and made that I do not have pictures of.

The time crunch was on, through the entire project. I did make a file with all of the part numbers I used for the project.

https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/10225/10002/-1
                        1967 W200.aka.Hank
                        1946 WDX.aka.Shorty

Comment

Thanks Matt, I think that box will solve a couple problems I'm wrestling with.
                          Greg Coffin
                          Unrepentant Dodge Enthusiast

1951 Dodge M37 - Bone Stock
                          1958 Dodge M37 - Ex-Forest Service Brush Truck
                          1962 M37-B1 - Work in Progress
                          1962 Dodge WM300 Power Wagon - Factory 251, 4.89s
                          1944/1957 Dodge WM500T 6x6 Power Wagon - LA318-3, NP435, 5.83s, Power Steering, Undercab Power Brakes
                          1974 Dodge W200 - 360/727, Factory Sno-Fighter Package

Comment

Prepping the cab for installation, all the extra holes had to be filled. And it had to be insulated and have sound deadening material installed for heat and to quiet the ride a bit.
                            Attached Files
                            1967 W200.aka.Hank
                            1946 WDX.aka.Shorty

Comment

Once the Cab was ready to set I felt the rest of the picture was all downhill from here. Boy was I wrong on all accounts. The drive train angles were off far enough that I knew I was going to have a problem. Again in the back of my mind I knew this truck was destined to spend its life at highway speeds and being worked on a continual basis.
                              This gallery has 2 photos.
                              1967 W200.aka.Hank
                              1946 WDX.aka.Shorty

Comment

Working...
                              X