Recommended tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommended tires

What would be a good choice of tire for the w300? Mine currently are Canadien tire that looks like something called the STA Super Traxion tires. The tire size I have now are 900-16. I want to keep the look of a vintage truck (1964). What does 900-16 equal out to in the LT series tires? Ideally I would like to find 6 tires used with 80% tread life.

You won't find a true metric equivalent size. The tires you have use a 100% aspect ratio (the 9 in 900-16 is the size of both the sidewall and width of the tire in inches). Modern tires don't usually go that high (the ratio is the second number of most metric sizes e.g. 235/75R16 would mean the sidewall is 75% of the 235mm width or 176mm tall). So you will end up going quite a bit wider to keep the same tire diameter with a metric size. I think Charles Talbert at M-series uses 300+ mm 75 series tires to get the right height (325 or 335 I think).

The other option will be the larger "offroad" tires (the ones that are listed as 35x12.5 for instance), you won't find anything quite so narrow, maybe a 10.5" wide, but most will be 12.5" wide (vice the original 9"). I'm running 35x12.5s (which are actually about 34" tall) which makes me just about the same as stock height, but more than 3" wider. I honestly want to go to 37x12.5s in the future though for both the look and the extra road speed.

Tire Rack and similar sites will show you overall tire diameter so that will help determine the size you would need.

Comment

Originally posted by Desoto61 View Post
      You won't find a true metric equivalent size. The tires you have use a 100% aspect ratio (the 9 in 900-16 is the size of both the sidewall and width of the tire in inches). Modern tires don't usually go that high (the ratio is the second number of most metric sizes e.g. 235/75R16 would mean the sidewall is 75% of the 235mm width or 176mm tall). So you will end up going quite a bit wider to keep the same tire diameter with a metric size. I think Charles Talbert at M-series uses 300+ mm 75 series tires to get the right height (325 or 335 I think).

The other option will be the larger "offroad" tires (the ones that are listed as 35x12.5 for instance), you won't find anything quite so narrow, maybe a 10.5" wide, but most will be 12.5" wide (vice the original 9"). I'm running 35x12.5s (which are actually about 34" tall) which makes me just about the same as stock height, but more than 3" wider. I honestly want to go to 37x12.5s in the future though for both the look and the extra road speed.

Tire Rack and similar sites will show you overall tire diameter so that will help determine the size you would need.
      Thank you as that was the best explaination of tire size I have ever read or heard. Here is the rub...I have a dually with the original Budd wheels so I may have to go with 900-16s which aren't cheap.

Comment

I run 235/85/R16 on my dually's.
        That is about as wide as you can safely go.
        They are 31" tall but work out ok.
        Tom
        WDX & Misc. Pics.
        http://www.t137.com/cpg/index.php?cat=10010
        "47" Dodge WDX WW
        "52" Dodge M-37 WW
        "54" Willys M38A1
        "65" Kaiser M35A1 WW
        "77" Chev. K-30 400T,205,4.56 "No-Spin"
        "84" Chev, K-30 Cummins 6-BTA 400,205,3.73Locker
        "86" Chev, M1028A2 (K30) 6.2,400.205,4.56 Locker
        "99" Dodge Durango "Limited Slip"
        "99" Dodge 3500 CTD 4x4"No-Spin"

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Petroff View Post
          I run 235/85/R16 on my dually's.
          That is about as wide as you can safely go.
          They are 31" tall but work out ok.
          Tom
          What brand/model tire?

Comment

I run these Hercules brand tires only because I get the best price from my
            Local dealer.
            We been using this brand for over 40 years.
            Decent economical tire brand.

You can run whatever brand you can afford.

https://www.herculestire.com/tire-de...A%20TRAC%20M/T

http://www.herculestire.com/

Tom
            WDX & Misc. Pics.
            http://www.t137.com/cpg/index.php?cat=10010
            "47" Dodge WDX WW
            "52" Dodge M-37 WW
            "54" Willys M38A1
            "65" Kaiser M35A1 WW
            "77" Chev. K-30 400T,205,4.56 "No-Spin"
            "84" Chev, K-30 Cummins 6-BTA 400,205,3.73Locker
            "86" Chev, M1028A2 (K30) 6.2,400.205,4.56 Locker
            "99" Dodge Durango "Limited Slip"
            "99" Dodge 3500 CTD 4x4"No-Spin"

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Petroff View Post
              I run these Hercules brand tires only because I get the best price from my
              Local dealer.
              We been using this brand for over 40 years.
              Decent economical tire brand.

You can run whatever brand you can afford.

https://www.herculestire.com/tire-de...A%20TRAC%20M/T

http://www.herculestire.com/

Tom
              These will work. I like them. THank you. Do you have a photo on one of your armada of vehicles that I could see? The tires are reasonable and I can get them at a good price. Also...I have the Budd split rims. So I'll need innertubes. Will these work with innertubes?

Comment

I also run 235's on my rig. I went with Baja ATZ. These mickey thompson tires have a tread pattern that is comparable to MTZ. They go great in the mud and aren't too noisy on the road.

Comment

I have the newer BF Goodrich TKO 2's they're really nice tires. Great traction, quiet, good load rating, long life and lots of different sizes.

Comment

both the MT and BFGs are great. Over the years I have used both. I am trying to get away from from my split rims and lock rings and go with a one piece steel wheel but they seem hard to find for a W300.

Comment

Working...
                    X