Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hauling a 1941 Dodge WC on a 16' car trailer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hauling a 1941 Dodge WC on a 16' car trailer?

Hello gents. I am looking to purchase a 1941 Dodge Carryall I just got a line on, but I am curious if it would be possible to trailer it on my 16" flat bed. I have hauled my wifes yukon xl on it, and can't imagine the Carryall being longer, but I am concerned about the width. Thoughts?

Barring any over-sized tires or an unusually narrow trailer, you should be fine.

Before I bought my 20' beaver tail trailer, I used to haul full-sized civilian 1 ton Power Wagons, 3/4 and 1/2 ton WC's, on my 16' trailer.

The bigger issues would be brake, bearing and tire condition of the trailer and the towing vehicle. Observe proper binding techniques. You want to avoid the "tail wagging the dog" syndrome...avoid towing with short wheel base vehicles, and do not exceed weight limits of the trailer.

cd
    1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
    1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
    2001 Dodge 2500 (Dish...formerly Maney's Mopar)
    1978 Suzuki GS1000EC (fulfills the need...the need for speed)
    1954 Ford 860 tractor
    1966 Chrysler LS 16 sailboat (as yet un-named)
    UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FITS

Comment

Originally posted by Cheyenne Dave View Post
      Barring any over-sized tires or an unusually narrow trailer, you should be fine.

Before I bought my 20' beaver tail trailer, I used to haul full-sized civilian 1 ton Power Wagons, 3/4 and 1/2 ton WC's, on my 16' trailer.

The bigger issues would be brake, bearing and tire condition of the trailer and the towing vehicle. Observe proper binding techniques. You want to avoid the "tail wagging the dog" syndrome...avoid towing with short wheel base vehicles, and do not exceed weight limits of the trailer.

cd
      Thank you! Great tips, and info. Cheers -Ben

Comment

Most welcome! All kinda basic stuff that is easily over-looked. Have a safe haul!

cd
        1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
        1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
        2001 Dodge 2500 (Dish...formerly Maney's Mopar)
        1978 Suzuki GS1000EC (fulfills the need...the need for speed)
        1954 Ford 860 tractor
        1966 Chrysler LS 16 sailboat (as yet un-named)
        UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FITS

Comment

and we want pictures of the Carryall

Please put up a few on the Carryall thread, you will make friends, some might have parts you need and advice you may or may not need.
          Drive slow and do not forget to use the trailer brakes if the truck starts to jack knife.
          I towed mine home in the snow and got to apply those trailer brakes quite a few times and not use the truck brakes - which straightened every thing out. The roads were a bit nasty that day.
          last week the carryall was the only vehicle to leave our yard..... it was the go to vehicle when the roads got shut down.

Comment

Working...
          X