Plasma cutter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plasma cutter

I recently bought a plasma cutter at an auction and today I really got to use it. I had to scrap a truck and it worked so well cutting the sheet metal away. I love this thing. I can hardly wait to use it to cut off rusted sheet metal that needs replaced for bodywork.

Hey, that's great, they are a neat tool1
    I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
    Will
    WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
    1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
    1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
    1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
    2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

They are one of those tools you don't know how you did without once you have one. Hardest part is keeping a steady hand if you're not following a guide. Mine is going to get a serious workout once it's time to start fixing the bed on my truck.

Comment

I agree it's a tool that saves a huge amount of time with little effort. I was rough cutting but will have to use a guide to get a cut good enough for fitting panels. My brother was impressed how much it would cut being a 120 volt unit and he's a welder by trade.

Comment

A drag cup helps a lot, you don't have to keep the gap over the metal. I was told and have been using wooden yard sticks as cutting edges. They don't affect the arc, you can't cut through them by accident, and they are cheap and thick.

For more complicated shapes I've cut templates from cardboard or wood a little under/oversized to compensate for the size of the tip and just trace around it.

Comment

I have to agree a plasma cutter is an invaluable tool. We have been using one in the shop for around three years now. I first used one years ago when I started working in the custom shop after high school. It was a monster 220 unit that would cut over 1 inch thick material. The one I use at work today is a small 110 unit that is perfect for sheet metal but struggles with material much over 3/16 of an inch.
            1967 W200.aka.Hank
            1946 WDX.aka.Shorty
            2012 Ram 2500 PowerWagon.aka Ollie

Life is easier in a lower gear.

Comment

I do like a plasma cutter a lot and you will find all kinds of uses for it. One tip is to drill a hole to start from. On thicker stuff the splash back on start up can sometimes damage your tips. It will save you $ in the long run. Becomes more of a problem on the thicker stuff.

Also remember the kerf is more pronounced than a regular cutting torch. If you want a straight edge you have to angle the PC torch head to compensate. Plasma will also leave the edge hardened sometimes. I leave enough stuck to angle grind just a little to overcome that.

Mine is a 1/2" from the edge of the drag cup to centerline of cut. Mark the line, use a 1/2" stock at both ends, clamp a straight edge and connect the dots.

Comment

Spotted this thread out of the corner of my eye.

I bought a plasma today as well.
                I actually got a great kit deal here in Western Australia:
                200amp Inverter MIG/TIG/MMA + a 50amp Plasma.
                I have been using a larger (15+yr old) mig running 0.9mm wire but the machine was a bit rough at lower amps sufficient for sheet/panel welding.. The new machine should be perfect and with 0.8mm wire, a bit more forgiving on the thinner stuff.

Happy cutting and welding to all.

Greg.

Comment

Working...
                X