Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1978 W150 "Southbounder" - new purchase barn find

Hi folks,

I'm new to the forum, new to Power Wagons and I just picked up a cherry old Power Wagon that's been in a barn for a number of years. I'm looking through threads for similar trucks and learning as much as I can, but figured I'd go ahead and post up with my setup and initial plans.

I'd appreciate any advice as I get started on getting it ready to be a reliable driver; I've never had a truck that sat up for so long and I'm not a professional wrencher, so any/all suggestions are appreciated, whether general or specific to these trucks.

Here's the summary:
    1978 w150 Power Wagon "Southbounder" edition. It's a 318 with a 3-spd auto, NP 203 full-time transfer case, and I'm not sure about the gearing.

It's a GA truck from 1978 with 106k on the odometer and everything is surprisingly clean. The owner cranked it up easily, idled, and drove in all gears with an auxiliary fuel can feeding it since the tank is surely full of gas varnish. All the electricals seem to be working including all lights, but there are a couple of jumper wires in the fuse box that will need to be sorted.

My draft to-do list so far:
    Drop and clean out the tank (it's original plastic!)
    clean fuel lines (blow out with air?), add new fuel filter(s)
    Oil change / radiator flush / check all radiator hoses
    disassemble and clean carb
    ignition upgrade? (rotor, coils, plugs, wires) and check timing
    Lube all grease points (including the hidden front wheel bearing zirk I've learned about)
    check brake lines / change brake fluid / shoes / pads
    change transmission fluid? gear oil?

Also: does anyone know anything about the "Southbounder" edition?

Thanks for any and all suggestions/advice/encouragement/help!
    Cheers,
    Jake

So you know - I cross-posted to a couple other dodge truck forums - I'm still trying to figure out which forum community is best for me.
    Last edited by 78w150Southbound; 08-18-2014, 05:36 PM. Reason: correcting picture links

Nice!

And haven't heard of that version.

Bucky

Comment

Wow!! That is a nice truck, bring it over to my house and I will take care of it for you. Joking, change all fluids, rebuild carb, change fuel filter. If the gas is old you better drain it out, then new fuel and a good fuel additive.

Comment

Wow, cool old truck. And no I've never heard of that edition either but somebody on here probably has.

Your to-do-list sounds spot on. Should be good to go after that. May need to add tires to that list if they are old though.

Welcome to the forum!
        1951 B-3 Delux Cab, Braden Winch, 9.00 Power Kings
        1976 M880, power steering, 7.50x16's, flat bed, lots of rust & dents
        1992 W250 CTD, too many mods to list...
        2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

The South Bounder is most probably from a conversion co which did a little of this & that, overcharged then they were sold to dealers who retailed them. Could be even a local dealer who made changes to increase sales with something a little different

Comment

Looks like a special package for an area of NC (The Appalachian Trail) in 77/78?
            http://www.newspapers.com/newspage/42121549/

http://www.mopartruckparts.com/gallery/g195.html
            I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
            Will
            WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
            1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
            1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
            1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
            2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

Hey, you're some detective. Nice to have that search feature. I could sit for hours and look though old newspapers...
              1951 B-3 Delux Cab, Braden Winch, 9.00 Power Kings
              1976 M880, power steering, 7.50x16's, flat bed, lots of rust & dents
              1992 W250 CTD, too many mods to list...
              2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

Thanks for all the encouragement, friends!

Originally posted by horace View Post
                The South Bounder is most probably from a conversion co which did a little of this & that, overcharged then they were sold to dealers who retailed them. Could be even a local dealer who made changes to increase sales with something a little different
                Interesting...

Originally posted by W_A_Watson_II View Post
                Looks like a special package for an area of NC (The Appalachian Trail) in 77/78?
                http://www.newspapers.com/newspage/42121549/

http://www.mopartruckparts.com/gallery/g195.html
                Nice find! Mine was sold new in Lafayette GA, didn't come from NC though. Some guy from Alabama told the PO that there were only 500 of these made.

I'm getting started on my to-do list this weekend. I need suggestions/recommendations from expereince on a few items:

-dropping and cleaning the tank. easy? difficult? pointers?
                -I picked up some Lucas 80W90 for the Diffs - agree?
                -Forgot to mention that the key is broke off in the ignition. I've got a new ignition to put in - any experience?
                -Suggestions on flushing the cooling system?

Thanks for everything - I'll keep you all updated!
                Cheers,
                Jake

Comment

About the ignition key/switch, I have done this.
                  If the column doesn't have tilt then its pretty straightforward, I think just a steering wheel puller & some normal tools are all that's needed.
                  But if it DOES have tilt then seems like there is a spring inside there that may need to be compressed, or at least it does to change out the turn signal switch. I cant recall if you can get to the ignition switch w/o disturbing that spring.
                  Go to ramchargercentral & read up on steering columns. They deal mainly with 70's trucks there. You don't have to register/log-in to read most of the threads but do if you want to use search feature or reply to posts/ask questions.

Cleaning cooling system & gas tank are good ideas. Nothing overly complicated about either, just make sure gas tank is as empty as possible before dropping it.

You will eventually wind up replacing most all of the rubber hoses on this truck. They are likely old/brittle & will begin to leak once you start using the truck. (Heater/radiator hoses, vacuum lines, brake lines, transmission cooling lines, fuel hoses,etc)

Bucky

Bucky

Comment

That is a really, really nice find. I would love to find one that clean.
                    1967 W200.aka.Hank
                    1946 WDX.aka.Shorty
                    2012 Ram 2500 PowerWagon.aka Ollie

Life is easier in a lower gear.

Comment

Originally posted by 712edf View Post
                      About the ignition key/switch, I have done this.
                      If the column doesn't have tilt then its pretty straightforward, I think just a steering wheel puller & some normal tools are all that's needed.
                      But if it DOES have tilt then seems like there is a spring inside there that may need to be compressed, or at least it does to change out the turn signal switch. I cant recall if you can get to the ignition switch w/o disturbing that spring.
                      Thanks for the advice, Bucky!!

Now a more general question:
                      What years and models should I have parts overlap with?

One thing I want to find is a jump seat (I've got one, but the other is missing). What trucks can I look for in the junk yards?

Comment

That depends on the parts. Engine parts may be the same from 67 til late 80's. Interior parts 72-80 (club cabs began in 73). Your transfer case was used 75-79. Some suspension parts used thru 93, so it just depends on what you specifically need. FWIW 72-80 were the "Power Wagon" yrs of the Lifestyle era, 81-93 were "Power Ram" yrs.

On the jump seats, I don't know if they remained the same after 1980. 73-80 are bolt-in.

Bucky

Comment

Originally posted by 712edf View Post
                          That depends on the parts. Engine parts may be the same from 67 til late 80's. Interior parts 72-80 (club cabs began in 73). Your transfer case was used 75-79. Some suspension parts used thru 93, so it just depends on what you specifically need. FWIW 72-80 were the "Power Wagon" yrs of the Lifestyle era, 81-93 were "Power Ram" yrs.

On the jump seats, I don't know if they remained the same after 1980. 73-80 are bolt-in.

Bucky
                          Thanks for the info. Good to know!

Comment

Got started with the fuel tank today....

It sure is a hassle getting the tank strap unbolted... the nuts are inside of the frame rail on one side (and just spin when you try to remove the bolts) and very difficult to get to on the other. I've got to buy a set of ratcheting wrenches. (Harbor freight, here I come!)

I removing the rear strap on the drivers side (I was able to get a wrench into the frame rail from the rear and catch the nut), but removed the other two straps from middle of the truck. It took far too long... Thinking about welding the nuts onto the frame before I put the tank back up to make this process easier in the future.

I've got it out, but I need some advice next. The tank has about 1cm of gas sludge in the bottom (See pictures below). I think I'll waste a ton of acetone trying to get it out that way and I'm not too keen on doing the nuts and bolts and lots of shaking - not even sure it'll work with how much sludge is in there. I'm going to call a radiator shop on Tuesday and see if they have an easy process for cleaning it. Any advice?

Under body after tank removal:

The "hidden" nuts that you can't get to with the tank up:

Tank is out! PB Blaster to get the filler sleeve (rusted!) and the fuel pump out (still not out - might have to use extractors).

continued in next post...

Comment

(continued from previous post)

Sludge... consistency of grease when hot (I put boiling water in there) and more like clay when it's cool.

Inside the tank - see the marks where I scraped sludge up with my screwdriver:

Filler inlet is in bad shape... easy to find a replacement? is this a universal part?

I'll let you know what I hear from the radiator shop about cleaning it for me...I'm open to all suggestions.

In other news, I got new door seals and window wiper seals in to keep the rain out. There is enough rust in the floor at the doorways to do a couple small sheetmetal patches. Bad rust is less than 3" by 5" on both sides though.

Thanks again for all the support and advice!

Comment

Working...
                              X