No announcement yet.

New Project - 1957 PW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know that they are not stock brackets. Don't know why they were added.

Frank

Comment

The wing vent windows came with the "Deluxe cab option" on several years of the trucks, like my '52.
      As part of that, included was a driver arm rest on the door and I believe a passenger windshield wiper.
      So, it depends on whether you want to stay original or not. If the passenger door is thought to be original, then you probably had a Deluxe cab.
      I ordered a copy of my truck's build card from the Chrysler archives, and so could verify what was the original build specs for my truck.
      Unfortunately, they had a fire and some years were lost and not available. You should be able to get this info if interested by looking in the archives (as to ordering).

Comment

A few other things:
        The lock on the passenger door but not driver door is correct. What I have been told is that back in the day people usually parallel parked, and so would slide over and get out on the sidewalk (passenger) side.
        Thats the story but don't know if it is true.
        Also, heaters were often added after the truck was delivered. My truck has a Chrysler automobile heater that was added by the dealer I think. IF a heater was ordered from the factory with the truck it would have been one of a couple varieties of Dodge truck heaters. I kept my "car" heater and repainted it. Adds a little individuality and interest, I thought.
        You have a MICO lock which makes it very nice when using the winch. I have one but have not installed it.
        Finally, you might consider getting a vintage Midland or similar vacuum brake booster. This makes a huge difference with these old drum brake trucks.
        Can't recall for sure, but in the late '50's Dodge offered this as an option.
        The booster is mounted on the frame rail behind the cab on the driver side. Usually they are plumbed so that the booster air vent is under the seat, with a little air filter on it.
        I can lock up my brakes with the booster if I wanted to. Makes driving a lot less scary!
        Ironically, I am visiting our daughter now in San Diego, but have to fly out today for a meeting and then home back in Maryland. Would enjoy seeing your truck as you are doing a great job.

Comment

Heater

Originally posted by Doc Dave View Post
          A few other things:
          The lock on the passenger door but not driver door is correct. What I have been told is that back in the day people usually parallel parked, and so would slide over and get out on the sidewalk (passenger) side.
          Thats the story but don't know if it is true.
          Also, heaters were often added after the truck was delivered. My truck has a Chrysler automobile heater that was added by the dealer I think. IF a heater was ordered from the factory with the truck it would have been one of a couple varieties of Dodge truck heaters. I kept my "car" heater and repainted it. Adds a little individuality and interest, I thought.
          You have a MICO lock which makes it very nice when using the winch. I have one but have not installed it.
          Finally, you might consider getting a vintage Midland or similar vacuum brake booster. This makes a huge difference with these old drum brake trucks.
          Can't recall for sure, but in the late '50's Dodge offered this as an option.
          The booster is mounted on the frame rail behind the cab on the driver side. Usually they are plumbed so that the booster air vent is under the seat, with a little air filter on it.
          I can lock up my brakes with the booster if I wanted to. Makes driving a lot less scary!
          Ironically, I am visiting our daughter now in San Diego, but have to fly out today for a meeting and then home back in Maryland. Would enjoy seeing your truck as you are doing a great job.
          Thanks for the info Doc. That is an interesting explanation of the passenger lock. I do have a passenger windshield wiper and drivers armrest so i do think I have the deluxe cab. I took some pictures of myheater today and am posting them here. If anyone can shed some light on it, i would appreciate it. This truck is from the foothills of Northern California and a heater would be a necessity. I think this was added later.
          I would welcome visitors any time. I still have a lot to learn.
          John
          Attached Files

Comment

DPCD Bolts

I originally planned to replace all my rusty bolts until i cleaned one off and noticed DPCD. I thought this was an interesting marking and found out this stands for Dodge, Pontiac, Chrysler, and Desoto. I am now trying to salvage all that I can to reuse. A wire wheel does wonders with years of corrosion and dirt. I will re-tap them as well. These bolts are hard to come by.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by RicherRacing View Post
              I originally planned to replace all my rusty bolts until i cleaned one off and noticed DPCD. I thought this was an interesting marking and found out this stands for Dodge, Pontiac, Chrysler, and Desoto. I am now trying to salvage all that I can to reuse. A wire wheel does wonders with years of corrosion and dirt. I will re-tap them as well. These bolts are hard to come by.
              Here are some other bolts that are old. Four have an X in the center and some have an N with a circle. Anyone have info on these?
              Attached Files

Comment

Rear axle in place, some chassis brackets, and front right spring. I am waiting for the correct shackles on the left from Vintage Power Wagons.
                Attached Files

Comment

Front Axle is positioned, drums and tires installed. I just wanted a preview of what was to come. Still waiting on my front left shackles.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Nice job.
                    Looks like several projects going on there?

FYI
                    Charles Talbert
                    At http://www.mseriesrebuild.com/
                    Facebook https://www.facebook.com/mseriesrebuild1986/

Usually has Buckets of DCPD bolts from rebuilds he will part with.
                    Tom
                    WDX & Misc. Pics.
                    http://www.t137.com/cpg/index.php?cat=10010
                    "47" Dodge WDX WW
                    "52" Dodge M-37 WW
                    "54" Willys M38A1
                    "65" Kaiser M35A1 WW
                    "77" Chev. K-30 400T,205,4.56 "No-Spin"
                    "84" Chev, K-30 Cummins 6-BTA 400,205,3.73Locker
                    "86" Chev, M1028A2 (K30) 6.2,400.205,4.56 Locker
                    "99" Dodge Durango "Limited Slip"
                    "99" Dodge 3500 CTD 4x4"No-Spin"

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Petroff View Post
                      Nice job.
                      Looks like several projects going on there?

FYI
                      Charles Talbert
                      At http://www.mseriesrebuild.com/
                      Facebook https://www.facebook.com/mseriesrebuild1986/

Usually has Buckets of DCPD bolts from rebuilds he will part with.
                      Tom
                      Yes, we build off road trucks. In the pictures we have a '69 3 door suburban and a 94 Bronco. Full roll cage and custom suspensions etc.
                      Also have an FJ, Race Truck, and two more Broncos in progress.

Thanks for the tip on bolts.
                      John

Comment

Axle Parts Available

I have two extra nearly complete axles broken down, as well as some wheels, Rims, shackles (some original flat top), etc. If anyone needs parts let me know. I will send more detailed pics. Cheap!
                        Attached Files

Comment

John, your truck looks great! I love the attention to detail!

Comment

Brakes

Starting to put the brakes back on. I bought new wheel cylinders, brake lines, and master cylinders from Vintage Power Wagons. The powder coating had to be cleaned up a bit inside the holes on the lower backing plate to accept the lower brake pivots. I used a small rounded file which worked great. I had some help from my 10 month old Great Dane Abbie. The right rear is done, just need to do the other three wheels.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Put on drum and wheel. Does anyone know the process for adjusting the brakes. The lower pivots are eccentric to adjust as well as the upper cam adjuster plates. Thanks

Oh yeah, I mounted the transfer case with new rubber bushings.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Looks great, good job!

Comment

Working...
                                X