Started on another 58 today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pieter View Post
    That would have been this truck... I still say this would make a great Mud/Trail truck. We don't need no stinking paint or glass ;o)

What is the status for this particular vehicle that was in the barn during the fire? could it be rebuilt, or does a fire such as what it went through weaken the metal to the point where it is a bad idea to try and put it back together?

Jason

Comment

That is my old truck that I sold. It has had it according to Ron. too much heat damage. Here is a photo of it when I finished the restoration.
      Jeff
      Attached Files

Comment

I'd still go with my original thought to make it a Mud/Trail truck...

As far as a nice truck. Not a chance. Would have to replace the frame! Then all the sheetmetal is too far stretched & shrunk in places to try and even come close to making it smooth...

But, we don't need smooth sheetmetal for a trail truck. HaHa

Comment

I'd still go with my original thought to make it a Mud/Trail truck...

As far as a nice truck. Not a chance. Would have to replace the frame! Then all the sheetmetal is too far stretched & shrunk in places to try and even come close to making it smooth...

But, we don't need smooth sheetmetal for a trail truck. HaHa
          I rather agree.. and frames are easier to come by than sheet metal..
          would any of the running gear be salvageable? as I have more interest in a well worn, example than one that I would be afraid to use, or drive.. Does this truck still exist? as from the pictures I have seen there does not seem to be any rust on the sheet metal.... even if none of it is smooth, or fits..

OR does some one need to tell me to get over it?

Comment

There is rust on the truck... Granted not holy rust, but the entire body is now covered in surface rust. The truck still does exist and I doubt would be up for sale. As far as trying to revive it, the engine is probably toast. The front axle is probably toasted. Actually, most of the drivetrain is toasted beyond salvageable repair. All seals would be melted. Any aluminum is melted and there is distortion to various components. Any heat treated parts are no longer at their proper temper... it would not be cost effective as you would need a complete truck to fix this one and you might as well use the parts truck instead as you would be ahead of the restoration game...

If you are looking for a truck of this era, they are popping out of the woodwork and you can find one if you keep looking and are not in a total rush to buy the first one you see...

Plus, if you let it be known that you are looking for a certain year/style, you will be surprised at what we will find for you to buy ;o)

Pieter

Another pic -

Comment

If you are looking for a truck of this era, they are popping out of the woodwork and you can find one if you keep looking and are not in a total rush to buy the first one you see...

Plus, if you let it be known that you are looking for a certain year/style, you will be surprised at what we will find for you to buy ;o)

Pieter

Another pic -

OK I understand. was not actively looking for, but the idea of starting from scratch, a truck that was not full of holes garnered unexpected interest.. and I am developing an interest in the PG trucks.. Thanks for taking the time to bring me along to reality.

Comment

Jason, It's been two years since we've actually seen that truck but it is still there knowing the owner. As Pieter said it is NOT worth rebuilding due to the heat it sustained in the fire. I would not want to trust the frame and the sheet metal is beyond saving. As for the drivetrain if anything is savagable it will be used on the owners other trucks, he has SEVERAL.

The Power Giants have been gaining in popularity in the past year or so. The best ones as far as sheet metal goes are naturally from the western states where they don't use salt. Even at that they do have common problem areas. The front floor cab mounts and the rear edges of the front fenders are two areas that suffer the most. They can be repaired to save the cabs and fenders. I would do as Pieter suggests and keep an eye out for a truck that is in need of a restoration. My friend who has the PG clooection gets leads on these trucks all the time. If he doesn't buy them perhaps we can pass them along. I know of a 1960 truck that is a solid truck with no engine or tranny that would make a good truck. Email me at 59redtruck@verizon.net I'll be glad to help out. Have you attended the Vermont PW rally in Cavendish in the past?

Comment

Originally posted by Ron in Indiana View Post
                  Have you attended the Vermont PW rally in Cavendish in the past?
                  Thank you for sharing your perspective Ron.

Yes, I made it down there a few years ago.. and would like be able to bring my '46 by next year.. it has been a slow climb to get that truck to where it is close to being on the road.. yes I maybe interested in the '60 truck, and will send you a note.

Comment

After doing my impression of the Maytag repairman on my Mom's washing machine I got some time in on the Crispy Critter truck. I had to get a couple of tires mounted first to take care of one other truck. I ran down to Discount Tire and asked if they could mount two 8x17.5 tires on tubeless rims. Hey I took a shot. The kid at the counter walks out with me and looks at the tires and rims. Of course he's never seen a tire this size and is looking for the DOT number. I told him I only want them mounted so I can roll a truck around since the tires have weather checking in the sidewall. He goes to get the manager who proceeds to tell me they have a company policy of not doing tires over 16". Fine, I wanted to ask how they mount the 18-24" booride tires then. Down the road I go with my tires and rims to the local filling station. Yes there are still a couple of gas stations that will mount tires. So the guy looks at them and it's a go. I give him a hand with the first one and then he has to take care of a gas customer, it's a full service station too. So I finish the first tire and start on the second while he's pumping gas. Ok I get both mounted and he charges me $10 so I'm out the door no problem. I swap tires and decide it's time to take off the bed. With a blue tipped wrench and a chainfall hoist with a little coaxing and the bed is swinging from the rafter. I also unbolted the motor and transmission so I can pull it to clean the frame. I'll paint the motor as well while it's out. Not to bad for 3 hours work I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron in Indiana View Post
                      He goes to get the manager who proceeds to tell me they have a company policy of not doing tires over 16". Fine, I wanted to ask how they mount the 18-24" booride tires then.
                      LOL! I ran into the same issue with a local discount chain. They sold
                      me some 8Rx17.5's but when it came to mounting them on my orginal
                      '68 17.5" steel wheels, they told me they couldn't. As they're telling me
                      all this crap, I'm looking up on the wall at all of their fancy 22" ghetto
                      wheels and wondering the same thing as you were. They gave me a
                      little better price on the tires.... threw in free metal valve stems and
                      covered the cost of me going to the truck/tractor shop down the road
                      to get the job done.
                      John

Comment

The manager said the company stopped mounting these "larger" tires due to some kid employee out west getting hurt while mounting one. He said it's too bad because they get a number of 19.5 RV tires that they aren't allowed to touch. Sounds more like a training problem to me. Most of their employees are younger kids mounting the tires. I took my Townwagon into Discount Tire once for a free tire rotation I had won at a cruise in. I figured it'd be good for a few laughs and I was right. I told the kids up front that one side had left hand lugnuts. They looked at me like I was pulling their leg. So they ask the manager to confirm what I told them. He assured them I was correct so they went to work. Two of them are swappping tires and got them back on when one of them opens my drivers door. He's looking all over the door and jamb with a puzzeled look on his face. I ask what he's looking for. He says he's looking for the sticker that has the tire pressure. I almost started laughing when I told him that this truck was made in 1964 which was way before they had those stickers. I said just put in 45 lbs and we'll call it good. Kids, you buy'em books, you buy'em books and all they do is smoke the pages. I'll go to a real tire store to get new 17.5's for the PG's I'm working on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobcobble View Post
                          a local discount chain. They sold
                          me some 8Rx17.5's
                          John
                          I will be needing some 17.5 tires so what brand of tires did you get or is it a store brand. I have seen some at universal tire but looking for other options
                          Ed

Comment

STA, Specialty Tires of America has bias ply 8x17.5 tires. I've got a dealer south of me about 45 minutes that I was going to use when the time came for this latest 58 to get new tires. http://stausaonline.com/light-truck/super-traxion.html A good tire dealer in your area should be able to get them or maybe buy direct.

Comment

I will put them on the list just collecting information right now. I can not get too involved until I get the title fixed. I have a good title but no year of the truck on the title it was issued in the 60's and I guess back then they knew a serial # that started Mw was a 59 truck. Fast foward 50 years and if they cannot find the data in their computer they are confused.
                              Ed

Comment

Originally posted by oldmopar View Post
                                I will be needing some 17.5 tires so what brand of tires did you get or is it a store brand. I have seen some at universal tire but looking for other options
                                Ed
                                I went with a Yokohama 703B 8R x 17.5. They aren't quite as
                                aggressive as the STA tread.
                                John

Comment

Working...
                                X