Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How I got started ... a long time ago ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How I got started ... a long time ago ...

My Dodge infatuation started in high school. One of my friend's grandfathers had a '42 Dodge ambulance on his farm. I really wanted one of those to drive in high school. Never happened ... unfulfilled dream.

But, it whetted my appetite for a WW2 / m37 / Power Wagon type pickup. Remember, we're talking 1968 - 1978. Not enough money, many hippies, John ...'s "TRUCK" and lack of money conspired against me. My dad had a '57 Chevy PU but wouldn't give it to me. I drove a VW Bus. ARRGH!!!!!!

Part of the problem, too, was that the Dodge dealer in my home town, Athens, OH, was a ... oh, forget it. I'm not supposed to say bad things, right? My boss for a number of years at the Pizza place was a Mopar fanatic ... but that didn't translate into anything driveable ... except for the Simca wagons that we used for delivery. Remember when Chrysler sold those?

So, fast forward to 2007 ... and I need 4wd. I have a nice '80 Toyota that I bought for $250 and have had for 13 years. But, I beat it up every summer on the washed out diriveway until the county comes back and grades the road. Crap. I need a truck.

Well, enter this W200 Power Wagon with a 440. 440? The oil companies are going to love me. But, it needs TLC and a title ... and it's full-time 4wd ... and did I mention that it needs work ... I'm hooked!!!

It's pased emissions and inspection .. so I'm just dealing with title issues. I had a call today with (probably) the first owner who was so excited that I was 'fixing it up.' Told me about the 4.11 axles and the type 3 440. Wanted a picture ... said he'd had it for 15 years before he sold it.

Sorry for the ramble ... but I'm hooked. Can't wait until I get the basics up to snuff. Good thing that this forum is here!

Sounds like a dream fulfilled, Rod! Glad you finally acquired a Dodge worthy of your passion and efforts.

Simca!? I confess, I once owned a 1962 Simca Aronde! Amazing little car, and the world's hill climb champion, can't remember what year, Champs du Monde? I tweaked her up underhood, and good tires and new shocks resulted in quite the bomb. The advanced suspension allowed me to lunch on MG's, Triumphs and the occassional Jag as a regular diet [Jag guys were afraid to wreck their pretty haha!] and once beat the wheels off of a hot DKW roadster, with it's twin-cam hemi V8!

Only real problem was the cars weren't supported by Mopar's parts system. Fabricate and improvise....

Comment

Well, I had a couple of Alfa Romeos, an Austin Healy Sprite, MG TD, DKW 3=6 and 750 Jr, Saab 95 Wagon, Fiats 500, 600, 124 coupe, 57 Bug Convertable and 72 Bus.

We lived in a college town and would buy the broken ones cheap and fix them up to drive.

Then there was this 68 Camaro that my grandmother gave me ... should have kept that one, methinks.

Comment

Aaahhh, Alfa, now there was a love affair! Nothing quite like them. The 2800 Sprint Veloce was a favorite but they were all good. Just missed an Alfa Montreal V8 when I was overseas, but it would have been difficult to gray market anyway. Also had to pass up a 1900 Sprint Superlegerra. I have to confess that even today with my love of trucks and already having just what I want, I'd sure find some pleasure in a nice little Alfa roadster every now and then.

Comment

Working...
        X