No announcement yet.

A long time ago, seems like yesterday.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A long time ago, seems like yesterday.

The first M-37 I saw was at a Bluegrass festival in Va. It was around 1972-73. I snapped a picture of it. I had no idea what it was besides tough looking. I still like that pic. Next one I saw was working on a pipeline worksite in 1977. It was bright orange. It looked right at home next to dozers and tractors.

Soon afterward, what I thought was the same truck came up to the farm we were visiting. Mike, a school friend, had bought it. Another friend, Doug, and I asked for a ride in it.

Mike bounced us down a dirt road and back. The noise, smell and feel was addictive. We were hooked! Mike explained that he had bought it from a company that works with dynamite, blasting rock for utility company right-of-ways. He paid $600 for his.

By the way there were 2 more that they were selling. All three were the same orange. Within a month, Doug bought the second one for $800. I bought the best one, with all the spare parts they had bought for the three trucks. I paid $1300.

As I left the place of purchase, one man asked me "what was I going to do with it?" I paused and said, "have fun with it".

We had fun with them together and apart. There was always a place to go 4-wheeling back then. Several years passed, Mike and Doug sold theirs, I haven't yet. Sure am glad.
Working...
X