No announcement yet.

how I got started.. Extended version..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how I got started.. Extended version..

Gordon requested how we got started in Dodges.

Here is my story:

Back around 1992, when I was living in my home state of Massachusetts, I was into flat fender jeeps (I still am, but that?s another story).

I owned a semi-restored 1953 CJ3A. I was happy four wheeling it, and never intended to ever sell it or buy anything else.

I had a friend who was into Military jeeps. He wanted a WW2 model jeep. He finds out about this local chapter of the MVPA meeting not more than a few miles from town.

We arrive, and there is a whole bunch of different military trucks and jeeps. My eyes immediately focus to the back of the field where this WW2 closed cab WC-12 is. Of course at the time I had no idea that it was a stock military truck. I thought it was one of those projects where someone puts an early truck onto a modern 4x4 frame and running gear.

I locate and talk to the owner, he explains the truck to me, and I am getting more and more ?hooked?. He gives me a ride in the truck, and that was it. I just had to own one!

I start looking around, and found a wc-12 in the town next to mine. Very rough condition, but I got it running after sitting for over 7 years in the owners back field.

I buy it, but later find out how much is really wrong with it, including the non-stock dump bed, torched front frame rails, cracked frame, and a host of other problems.

I needed more parts to get this back into shape. I search more, and find two other donor trucks, which I buy and haul home.

I disassembled the trucks and begin a frame off restoration. It took the frame from the second truck, the bed and fenders from the third truck, and the cab and motor from the first truck. That?s why I called it ?Mongrel?.
    Anyway, I eventually finished that truck, and it was very nice.

Incidentally, I wrote an article on this very story I am writing which appeared in Army Motors a few years back, entitled ?Mongrel?.

I ended up selling it
    when I got big into WW2 re-enacting, wanting a wc-51 to haul the squad around in. Also, at the time, WW2 re-enacting was limited to late war events, mostly European front battles where ½ ton Dodges were not used. A ¾ ton was.

Anyway, I owned that 3/4 ton for a few years. It was a very clean California truck, and I bought it from the owner in Northern California. I finished it up, replacing the bed wood, rear axle, added top bows and bought new canvas. Plus a lot of other things I cant remember now.

I moved to Texas, where I had the truck shipped here. Kept it up until last year. It was a little more difficult driving here in Dallas, because of the roads. Not the nice back country 35 mile an hour roads like New England, but faster highways were the Dodge wasn?t quite at home. So I decided to sell it and buy a ww2 jeep to replace it.
    Which I did.

I actually sold the WC-51 to a collector in California. He lives like within 10 miles of the town I bought it from! That Dodge went from Ca to Mass, to Texas then back to its original area again! I got buddies who haven?t traveled that much!

Anyway, after selling it, I bought a 1945 jeep. Still have it too. Its my re-enacting vehicle

But, I had this ?empty? feeling of not owning a Dodge! I had to get another one!
    I purchased a 1941 Dodge WC-12 once again. I am now in the process of a ground of restoration on it. This truck is sweet. Very complete, very little rust.
    So, I hope to have this one up and running before the end of the year.

Anyone live close by the Plano TX? Come on by, have a beer and Ill show you my project!

Dave Austin
    7912 Hazeltine Drive
    Plano, TX 75025

Nice story Dave,
    Especially the beer part! ha!ha!
    MN

Comment

Did Someone say Amber Beverage?

Hey Dave,
      Amber beverage and Dodge in the same sentence, it has a good ring to it. My cooler is only a few steps from the shop!
      Have you met/talked Sid Beck, he's in Victoria,TX?

Comment

Hey Bruce,

Yes, I know Sid... Occassionaly buy parts from him.

Dave

Comment

Fredricksburg,TX

Hey Dave,
          Have you scouted Fredricksburg,TX, I looked, but couldn't find any M-37's. I did have a great time looking. So much iron, to much for a long week-end. I have dealt with Sid a lot, he's always been fare to deal with.

Comment

Bruce,

FYI, the Stonewall VFD (nine miles from F-burg) sold their '68 WM300 a year or two ago in a closed bid. As I recall, the winning number was around 8 grand and there were about 15 bidders. It was in pretty good shape but totally unrestored.

There also used to be a gravel company in Fredericksburg on the east side of town off 290 that had an M37 as a water truck but I have not seen it in a few years. Good hunting to all...H

Comment

Working...
            X