How I got started

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How I got started

When I was about 6 years old in 1952 my dad put me in an old 40 Chevy pickup steering it across the field as they loaded hay bales on it. And that was the beginning of a love for old vehicles. I drove around on the farm and at 16 I bought my first, a 40 Ford pickup for $50. Dad always preferred Chevy but the first Dodge he bought was a 52 Coronet 4 door (one of the best old vehicles he ever owned). For several years I drove different brands, but Chrysler products always seemed to give me better service. I bought a 47 DeSoto in 67 for $65 that I still own and is still a decent car(in the process of restoration). I bought a 56 Dodge in 1976 and drove it for a year when the 6 cylinder broke a ring and ate up the cylinder wall. I put in a 440 automatic and used it as a daily driver for 20 years and still have it.
    I always liked army trucks but never owned one (other than an 880) until about 4 years ago. I bought an M37 in Tenn and brought it home and sold it a month later for a nice profit. But I decided I'd like one to keep, within a month I'd bought 3 more. One from Fl had a lot of rust so I decided to sell it. I sold it at auction for a nice profit, but my yougest son (5 years old) cried when he found out I sold it. I promised him that the rust free 62 I'm working on is his truck. Last Dec I bought a 62 M37 with service body that I'm driving from GSA in good condition.

I also have a 53 with a DeSoto hemi thats a running driver. My middle son (34 years old) is getting another 62 from me with a good body and bad engine that he`s putting a 318 in. Then I have a 62 Studebaker M35A1 that I converted to a dump. The only other vehicles that are not Dodge that I'm keeping is a 1961 Ford Econoline pickup and a 62 Ford Ranchero. I also have a 96 3500 diesel dually and a 97 3500 diesel dually.

Old trucks are habit forming and I'm completely addicted. I have probably 10 or 15 more old Dodge trucks, I haven't counted lately.
Working...
X