New project 57 short box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New project 57 short box

With two trucks done and delivered it's time to start the next one. A 1957 W100 short box belonging to Terry Johnson that started life as a railroad truck. Originally Omaha Orange then painted green the truck had a hard life like so many do. The body is in good shape over all except the rear bed valance and first crossmember. Both are bent in an arch from to much weight. I have parts to replace them from another bed. The chassis is much worse. Right front rear U shackle is broken and the spring was wedged to the frame. The rear axle on the left side it forward of it's perch 3 inches and had the U bolts cut then welded together. On top of the axle were three steel plates to take up the slack I guess. The right side is almost as bad so this truck ran down the road wanting to pass itself I would imagine. The front drive shaft almost fell out with the bad U joints. The sheet metal is all off the chassis. The cab was mounted to my rotisserie which we then blasted to remove all paint and applied etching primer. I'm hoping to march right through this project so I can get it to Iowa for Terry's dad who has cancer and is retired from the Union Pacific.

Sounds like an interesting project Ron. I really like the looks
    of the '57s. Even though my main focus thus far has been
    '61-'71 Sweptlines..... I always keep my eyes peeled for the
    Power Giants.... You'll have to let loose with some pics!

I thought about you, as the wife & I were in Indy over Labor
    Day weekend. As usual though.... just not enough time to
    swing up North for a visit. We did manage to demolish a few
    pork tenderloin sandwiches though....
    John

Comment

Thanks for the reply I was beginning to think I was the only one on this section anymore. Yes it's project like all the others except this one was worked like a 1 ton instead of a 1/2 ton. I have the rear axle out and torn apart. The tapered axle shafts need new keyways cut due to wear. I can't do anything until those are done to have the drums turned and shoes fitted. I'm also waiting for spring eye bushings and new center pins.

I still can't believe you can't get tenderloins in your area. Glad you can down our way, maybe next time. We didn't have time to stop on the way to MA for the rally either. So guess we're even haha. Bill Brandon is working on his 69 W300 and has questions on were the best place is for supplying weatherstriping for his doors. I thought Clester's your thoughts?

Comment

We have some good tenderloins here....
        Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Originally posted by Ron in Indiana View Post
          Thanks for the reply I was beginning to think I was the only one on this section anymore. Yes it's project like all the others except this one was worked like a 1 ton instead of a 1/2 ton. I have the rear axle out and torn apart. The tapered axle shafts need new keyways cut due to wear. I can't do anything until those are done to have the drums turned and shoes fitted. I'm also waiting for spring eye bushings and new center pins.

I still can't believe you can't get tenderloins in your area. Glad you can down our way, maybe next time. We didn't have time to stop on the way to MA for the rally either. So guess we're even haha. Bill Brandon is working on his 69 W300 and has questions on were the best place is for supplying weatherstriping for his doors. I thought Clester's your thoughts?
          Ron,
          I'd go Clester's or Restoration Specialties. There's an outfit by the name
          of DanO Enterprises [sp?] that might have something too.
          John

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
            We have some good tenderloins here....
            Gordon,
            Every time I'm in Iowa visiting relatives [Jewell, Kamrar, Webster City and Kingsley].... I indulge as well....
            John

Comment

Working...
            X