Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loose Trans & Tire Balance

I got a 1948 (I think) powerwagon.
    Got it from my great uncle's son for helping with things around their farm.

Anyway, besides the fact that it was driven by brail at times, it has a couple issues I'd like to fix short term. Long term will be a full resto.

First, the trans is very loose. I have to pay very close attention to tell if i am in gear or not. The shifter moves left / right that far. Is it possible to pop off the top of the trans without dropping it? I have yet to look close enough. Also, what should I expect once I get in there? I would expect to see a very worn fork. Anybody have any experience?

Second, something is out of balance or not concentric in the drivetrain. When I get into 4th, or "high speed" third gear, I get a bounce to the whole truck. It has the original military tires. I really (really) don't want to spend the money to put tires on it (already put a couple hundred into brakes and axle seals and am building a house). Would you expect that they are out of balance, or not concentric? Something else? I plan to jack it up and spin the tires and look at the runout. I have no way to check the balance. Can any old tire shop balance those huge heavy things?

My server is being moved this week, so I will post the URL for some pictures later. I love looking at PW pics, so I'm sure you do too.

Thanks,
    Andy

Well, ignoring the fact that I put this thread in the wrong section...........
    http://andy.mr-happy.com/Powerwagon/powerwagon.html
    Last edited by aeblank; 05-04-2004, 04:25 AM.

By removing the 3 floor pans, you may gain access to the top of the tranny. At that point, you will be able to remove the top cover and shift lever for inspection.

If the truck stilll has non-directional "military" tires, they are likely the source of your lumpy ride. They are nylon bias-ply tires and get flat spots from sitting. If you can drive it long enough to warm the tires up, you will likely find the ride will smooth out.
    1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
    1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
    2001 Dodge 2500 (Dish...formerly Maney's Mopar)
    1978 Suzuki GS1000EC (fulfills the need...the need for speed)
    1954 Ford 860 tractor
    1966 Chrysler LS 16 sailboat (as yet un-named)
    UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FITS

Comment

When you expose the top of the tranny, look closely at the ends of the shift rail bores, located on the cover. If any caps are missing, you have probably lost some detent springs and balls. That would cause your tranny to slip out of gear easily.

If thats not it, you may find that the shifting forks are loose on the shift rails. The bolts holding them in position are supposed to be saftey wired, but that is not always the case.

DAB
      Last edited by Cheyenne Dave; 05-04-2004, 09:00 AM.
      1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
      1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
      1954 Ford 860 tractor

Comment

Just to clarify.....
        It doesn't fall out of gear, or anything like that. It is just super hard to find the gears in any sort of time because everything is so loose.

You guys really should look at the most recent set of pics. The thing sure can go through the snow!

Comment

Andy,

Great pics! Thanks for posting the link.
          That looks like a real no nonsense plow!

Phil

Comment

Yeah.
            That plow is hilarious.
            It has a tag on it that says it is made by some boiler company. Weird.

Also, it lifts using the winch.
            What a PAIN to use.

In those pictures we were trying to blast through the heavy snow that falls off the barn. THe angle of the plow just kept pushing the truck around.
            I might try to use it at my new house this winter. We'll see.

Comment

Guess you need to be more discriptive of the term "loose". If you are having a hard time finding a gear and are experiencing grinding, keep in mind the fact that your tranny is not syncro and you need to double-clutch.

The reason your "plow" has a boiler company name on it is because is was home-made from a section of boiler plate.
              1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
              1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
              1954 Ford 860 tractor

Comment

I know it isn't syncro. I'm slowly learning how to deal with that. the issue is the slop.

When in neutral, the stick moves left to right, say 18 inches. When in gear (doesn't matter the gear) the stick moves left to right maybe 14 inches. Obviously i haven't measured this, but the point is that it isn't right and therefore makes it harder to FIND the gear I need before I coast to a stop.

I'll have to ask the old man's son about the plow. I think it used to be a county truck / plow, which makes me doubt the plow is homemade.

Comment

If it was a county truck, and there is a boiler makers tag on it, it wouldn't surprise me to find out it wasn't a manufactured unit. From the picture you posted, it looked home made to me...how about some more detailed pix?

As far as the tranny goes...I can't imagine 18" of play. I doubt you would have any stifting fork left with the kind of play you describe. At any rate, you will need to remove the floor pans and pop the tranny cover to see whats actually going on in there, and keep us posted.

DAB
                  1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
                  1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
                  1954 Ford 860 tractor

Comment

Ok.
                    I went and measured.
                    Apparently, I highly over estimate the cab size in that thing.

8" of play (left to right, obviously) in neutral.
                    5" of play in gear (I think it was 3rd)

I looked and I don't really have any decent pictures of the plow.
                    I'll have to go to the back field and take some pictures. Getting on the dark side tonight to have any turn out.

Don't know when I'll get to that trans.
                    My 7/8 of the way done house eats up most of my time.

Comment

Working...
                    X