No announcement yet.

W500 donor cab options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Postponed projects? I can't relate to that....
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
      Postponed projects? I can't relate to that....
      No I don't suppose you can Gordon. LOL Everyone needs a dream, it's what keeps me going some days. The challenge of putting it back on the road, to have that dream of driving that truck one day, can be a powerful force to get up and keep going. The sad part is not acting on that dream and letting time slip away from you. Sure there are problems we never expect to encounter but that's what makes us stronger. Set a goal, make some little progress it's far better than none at all. Break down a huge job into little ones that can be done in a few hours or less and before you know it the big job is done. How's that go? You can eat an elephant one bite at a time. I have more projects and jobs than I can shake a stick at like a lot of us. But I keep chewing.

Comment

I just ran across this ad!

http://greenville.craigslist.org/pts/2474020664.html

Doc Dave is this what you were after maybe?

Bucky

Comment

Yes,
          The cab/front end is what I am interested in if it has very little rust.
          Is Greenville in Texas? Depending where it is I wonder if there is someone down there close to it that could look at it.
          I am planning, at this time, on coming to the Iowa rally in June 2012. If someone was planning on attending and driving up from Texas, then maybe I could pay to offset their fuel costs if they had room to also bring a cab for example or something. Just thinking out loud.
          Thanks,
          Dave
          p.s. I emailed the craigslist owner who listed it.

Comment

Sorry Dave..... While there IS a Greenville, Tx (within 250 miles of me) This one is in South Carolina :-(

Bucky

Comment

Dave & Bucky,

I am only going off of my gut feeling here, not any hard facts,

But I think that the 1960 W500 on C/L is the one that Dwight Polattie posted about on Joe's forum two weeks ago. Here is the post, you both replied to it

http://www.killdeerisland.com/lastfo...s/3640501.html

I think that truck has been sold, (to Dwight) and the person that wrote the C/L ad just did not pull the ad yet.

Dwight has already entered it into the PG registry,, here,

http://townwagon.com/powergiantregis...ial=2580151419

Please correct me if you think I am misunderstanding something.

Matt

Comment

Yep looks like same truck. I didn't put 2 & 2 together until I saw the registry picture. I just happened to run across the CL ad this weekend.

I'd love to run across an old cab for Dave to get. I recall Ron has a 57 in his stash.

Bucky

Comment

I have a few 1960 cabs,, but I just have not had the time to email Dave any pics of them yet. Between going to TX's and then when I got back had to pack-up for a planned family vacation, then other things since vacation, time has been kind of short, as of late.

If your referring to Ron Langford I am not sure if he has one or not. It was dark:30 by the time I got there, we loaded the parts I wanted talked for a little bit then I left, for OK and got some sleep.

I forgot I took this picture with my camera phone (not the best quality) If I recall right I took it right on the NM/TX border, small town called Texline TX where I got a breakfast burrito (GUT BOMB) some java, and hit the road again.

Was a fun trip and I am very happy, the AC in my truck was ice cold while on that trip ;-)

Matt

Comment

Originally posted by iranch View Post
                    To add to Matt's post. The frames are not the same, the PG frames curve and swoop all over the place and the Sweptline era frames are more or less straight.

The only good substitute for a PG W500 frame is a PG W500 frame.
                    That is correct, and it's why the DTA Headers do not fit the Power Giant trucks with the 318 Poly. = (
                    They do however fit the Town Wagons made in 1961 and later because that model Power Giant was modified at the factory to fit upon the Sweptline frame.

Comment

Nice picture Matt!

Bucky

Comment

Doc Dave,

As you search for an OD transmission something else comes to mind. As I drive my W600 more each day I notice that it isn't engine RPM that limits my pushing her towards top speed, but the Rockwell drivetrain, the Kelly-Springfield snow tires & steering components. She just gets to scarey past a certain speed. At times I anticipate a "death wobble" in the front end. Other times its rather smooth. I am in the process of checking everything out for wear.

In other words, my 318 (no OD) will push it faster than I feel comfortable driving it.

Bucky

Comment

Bucky, after going through the front end and making sure everything is safe, you should try to find a shop that will true and strobe balance your tires. You may wish to check your wheels with a dial indicator first to make sure you don't have an unacceptable amount of wobble in the wheel itself before spending the money to have the tires trued. Having the tires shaved round and balanced on the truck with the drum/hub assembly makes a bigger difference than you might believe until you experience it for yourself. My 58 W300 went from shaking all over the road to cruising 70 down the freeway without even a rattle, and that was literally the difference between the drive to the shop and the drive home.

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron S View Post
                            Bucky, after going through the front end and making sure everything is safe, you should try to find a shop that will true and strobe balance your tires. You may wish to check your wheels with a dial indicator first to make sure you don't have an unacceptable amount of wobble in the wheel itself before spending the money to have the tires trued. Having the tires shaved round and balanced on the truck with the drum/hub assembly makes a bigger difference than you might believe until you experience it for yourself. My 58 W300 went from shaking all over the road to cruising 70 down the freeway without even a rattle, and that was literally the difference between the drive to the shop and the drive home.
                            Yes I will look into that. First I must verify all the steering components as being tight. Because the wobble isn't constant, I don't think the tires/wheels are the only factor. Sometimes it wobbles, sometimes not, even on the same road surface. I can slow down & it goes away, speed back up & the wobble doesn't immediatley return, but eventually does.

I need to have someone follow me & watch what's going on when this occurs, also to verify my speedometer. Its reading slower than I'm actually travelling.

Thanks,

Bucky

Ultimately I'd like to get those super single wheels/tires that the 5 ton guys run, but at $800 a corner its not happening soon. And yes I'm away that the fronts & rears have different offsets.

Comment

Doc dave

I have the winch handle removed & can ship it to you this week. I emailed you a couple of pictures today.

Looks like the NP540 I have is non OD.

Bucky

Comment

Doc Dave,

Someone on Denver Craigslist has a 1960 D500 cab only f/s for $1000.
                                Ad has pictures, in auto parts section. Just in case you're still looking & are interested.

Bucky

Comment

Working...
                                X