Waited 30 years to get my PW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waited 30 years to get my PW

I have wanted a flat fender Power Wagon since 1973. I graduated from college in 1973 and had little money to spend. A friend of my dad had a nursery and landscape business and decided to sell a 1955 Power Wagon that he had bought new. I thought it was really neat. I remember it having dual wheels, and a steel flatbed that dumped. It had very low miles and looked nearly new. He offered it to me for $1,000.00. Well, having just graduated , I had little money to spend on anything, so I had to pass it up.
    I have wanted a Power Wagon ever since, but, marriage and kids prevented me from seriously considering such a frivilous expenditure.
    About two years ago, I stumbled on to Joe's forum while surfing the net. I was hooked. THe kids were gone and the wife thought they looked neat. I read and watched the photo classifieds and decided that a flat fender might be beyond my mechanical capabilities as a first project. I thought a Power Giant would be a lot "easier" to restore and get parts for. Boy was I mistaken. Anyway, in Aug.,2002, I bought a 58 Power Giant, and less than a month later bought a second one for a parts supply. Work started immediately, but I still wanted to eventually get a flat fender truck.
    In Oct. 2002, an article in our local newspaper told how one of the local vol. fire depts. was closing down. They had a file photo picture that showed a Power Wagon brush truck at a fire. The photo was dated 1985. On a hunch, I drove out to the Fire Dept. garage and sure enough, there sat the 59 W300M in the weeds amongst a bunch of old farm equip. and junk. The farmer who owned the land where the fire dept. was located had loaned the truck to them. They had given it back to him 12 years ago and it had sat there since. I contacted him, and after two weeks of indecision, he finally sold it to me for $1000.00. The winch is in the bed and the motor is stuck, but overall it is in good shape with almost no rot. I hope to start restoring it by Dec. of this year. Can not wait to drive it for the first time.
    Attached Files

I Guess i would be considered lucky then. I have had my 47PW in my backyard for aslong as i can remember. It was my grandpas scrap truck. It is VERY complete. Some lights missing small stuff like that. I got it for free! I was soo happy. I am only 16 so i can't wait to show it off to my friends after i restore it myself!

Comment

It's smiling at you!

Hey Jeff, I think I see a smile on its face! Thanx Will Liebscher

Comment

Working...
      X