Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1957 With 383ci Overheating?

Hey All,

I have a 383 in my 1957 TWPW with the original 1957 gauges.

I have hooked up the temperature sending unit from the 383 and I really do not know if the reading is correct. Here are the details:

Tried both gauge type and light type sending units for the 383, all make the gauge act the same.

When cold, the gauge shows cold, as soon as I turn the key to "on, engine off," the needle starts moving towards the right (hot) but stops in the middle.

Turning on the engine, the needle keeps moving towards the hot side until it hits the right side completely (supposedly overheating). I know the truck is not overheating as no fluid is coming out of the overflow pipe. (Could it be a stuck thermostat?) I have checked with the radiator cap off and the water does flow with a current so I know the thermostat is opening at least somewhat.

I know all of my grounds are good back to the gauge. From the block to the chassis, to the body and even to the back of the gauge frame.

Here is a solution I am thinking of: Get a new temp sending unit for a 315 (43-51ohms) and put an adapter to fit it into the water pump on the 383 or put a "T-fitting" inline with the heater hose to have the sending unit directly in the path of the water to provide the accurate reading?
    -Does the temp sending unit have to be directly in the path of the water to be accurate?

The only other culprit I can think of is the ammeter fluctuates to the + as I increase rpm, can this have anything to do with the temp gauge?

Thanks for any help guys!
Working...
X