New (to me) 1960 PG W200, some questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New (to me) 1960 PG W200, some questions

I just purchased a 1960 W200 equipped with the Poly 318, 4sp manual tranny.

As far as I know, it is all original.

My questions are:

What trans do I have? (I'm assuming New Process, what model?)

What front axle? Rear Axle? (Dana 40? 60?)

What are the capacities? Crankcase oil, front diff, rear diff, trans, transfer case?

What fluids should I be using in each?

I'd like to change out all of the fluids and would love some advice.

Thanks to all for your input.

Curt

1960 pg w200

Curt, should be a NP420 Trans, NP201 T-case, Dana 44 front axle and a Dana 60 rear axle (or Dodge axle). I added Pro-Long to the engine and trannies and use Marvel Mystery oil in the engine and gas and lead substitute in the gas as well.
    Gar

Engine Oil Valvoline 10w-40 5 qts.
    OIL FILTER Wix 51515 (Best)
    OIL FILTER K&N HP-3001
    OIL FILTER FRAM PH8A
    AIR FILTER FRAM CA3492
    AIR FILTER K&N 14"X 4" E-3750; 14"X 5" E-3760; Foam Wrap 14"X 4" 25-5500
    Transmission Np435 4-spd (Probably the same for the 420) 80W-90w Valvoline 7Pts. / 3.5qts. (up to the fill hole)
    Transfer Case NP201 2spd (Low Range 1.96:1) 10 bolt PTO 80W-90w Valvoline 4.5Pts.+1.5Pts. PTO
    gear oil front Valvoline 80W-90w 4pts. / 2qts.
    gear oil rear Valvoline 80W-90w 5.5pts. / 2.75 qts. (For a Dana 60)
    COOLING SYSTEM Stock 20 qts.
    Thermostat Operating Temp 180º (I use 180º-Sumr 195º-Wint)
    Radiator hose, upper Napa 7364 Trim to fit
    Radiator Cap Stant 328 (7lbs. not 13lbs.)
    Windsheild wipers Anco R/n05325 dead locker 12"
    Wiper Arms Anco 41-02
    Wiper Blades Anco 20-12

My Parts pdf link:
    http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/show...force_expand=y

Comment

Welcome Sparman to the Power Giant series of Dodge trucks. Gary has you well covered on what you are needing. RockAuto.com and Napa have mechanical parts as you need them. The 318 poly is a great motor with tons of torque. I restore these trucks as my line of work now if you need any help. I also reproduce headliners, door panels and recover sunvisors if you're interested. Where are you located? You've got a good plan to change out fluids. Just FYI the brakes are not self adjusting types. Enjoy your truck and the journey you're in for.

Comment

Gary and Ron,

Thank you both for your replies, I can't thank you enough.

I'm really excited about this truck and the fantastic project before me.

I'm in Southern California and the truck was originally in Idaho and came to me via Texas.

Curt

Comment

The NP435 calls for 50wt, and all the modern oils contain additives that are hard on the older soft metals in parts of these trans.

I've switched away from the 85-90 gear oil to Lucas Synthetic 50 wt. Trans Lubricant.

Shifts much better and works very well.
          I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
          Will
          WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
          1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
          1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
          1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
          2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

Originally posted by W_A_Watson_II View Post
            The NP435 calls for 50wt, and all the modern oils contain additives that are hard on the older soft metals in parts of these trans.

I've switched away from the 85-90 gear oil to Lucas Synthetic 50 wt. Trans Lubricant.

Does that apply to the NP540 too?

Bucky

Comment

Welcome Sparman

Sparman,
              Great find. Last year of the Power Giants. Post a picture when you can. I'm in Colorado but I had Ron Reichart in IN help me out and get the truck to a new level. He is great if you need some help. Best of luck on the project.

Justin

Comment

Originally posted by 712edf View Post
                Does that apply to the NP540 too?

Bucky
                Can't say for sure, but my best is yes.

Thanks,
                Will
                WAWII.com

Comment

Originally posted by W_A_Watson_II View Post

Interesting.

Search term: transmission lubricant
                  Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Thanks W_A, this is great information. I'll look for Lucas 50wt and give it a try.

Gary, your exhaustive parts list is marvelous!! Thank you for putting that together and sharing it.

JDD, thanks. I'm really excited about this truck. Also, it's apparently only one of 150 built in 1960 with the 318. I'll definitely be looking to Ron for help, thanks again.

I'm working on getting her running well. The carb that came on it is leaking from just about every possible spot. The vacuum port for the distributor literally fell out and was tension fit in the carb body using painter's tape. I bought a rebuilt Carter from Rockauto and it looks to be great. The problem is that it is lacking the throttle ball for the linkage to connect to. I ordered a set of balls from Summit after going to 4 different auto parts places in town w/o luck.

I also just picked up a OE air cleaner housing on ebay since it was without one.

The truck grinds significantly when I go into second. The carb issues have prevented me from really driving it, so when I get that resolved I hoping to see if double clutching will help. Otherwise, can anyone give me their thoughts on how I should proceed.

The front diff is leaking, but otherwise it appears to be dry everywhere else. Can anyone reccomend a diff cover seal that is best suited for the front axle? Will any front Dana 44 kit work?

I'll start a new thread and post some pictures.

Thanks to you all again and glad to be here,

Curt

Comment

My info comes from research, and I eventually found the best info from Novak, and contacting several of the Synthetic gear oil companies:

• When filling your 435 with gear oil, we recommend that you select a conventional mineral oil or a para-synthetic in lieu of a full synthetic oil. Properly assembled manual gearboxes do not have the thermal strains seen by combustion engines or hypoid gears. Synthetic fluid in these gearboxes, while not harmful, is probably an economic waste.
                      • Hypoid gear oil is sulphurized higher than transmission oil and can be mildly corrosive to the non-ferrous alloys used for synchros, bushings and thrust washers in these transmissions.
                      • An 80W-90, API-GL5 or MT-1 rated fluid is very good. Some claim faster shifts from using a 50W engine oil in their transmission and we do not consider this to be contraindicated unless you operate your vehicle in a very warm environment.

From the Lucas Synthetic SAE 50 Heavy Duty Transmission Fluid product info:

• Lucas Synthetic 50 wt. Trans Oil is designed especially for heavy duty truck transmissions but can be used in many other applications.
                      • Common gear oils are mostly base stocks with little more than an addition of sulphur and phosphorus as a total anti-wear package. We at Lucas Oil Products consider this inadequate. Most heavy duty truck transmission manufacturers now consider sulphur and phosphorus to be potentially corrosive to copper and brass and consequently recommend against common gear oils for this reason. The other 50 wt. we have tested, synthetic or otherwise, are pure base stock, we consider this also inadequate.
                      • Lucas Synthetic 50 wt. contains an exclusive additive concentrate derived from synthetic oil that ensures lower operating temperatures and better lubrication, especially to upper bearings and gears. This is a long lasting fluid that is far superior to conventional synthetic fluids and contains nothing that could be harmful.
                      • Meets or exceeds API MT-1, Eaton Transmission Div., 164 rev 7, Mack Truck TO-A Plus, International Truck TMS 6816 and other applications requiring non-EP Lubricants.

Hope this helps everyone understand why I switched and enjoy better shifts, and hopefully a longer less wear life in my trans.

Thanks,
                      Will
                      WAWII.com

Comment

Can you mix synthetic W50 with sure grip additive?

on an 8 3/4?

Comment

Based on some posts by Charles Talbert several years ago, I filled my "after" type non-synchro tranny with 50 weight (conventional) motor oil. I have put many miles on the truck and the transmission shifts very nicely. ALso not prone to leak...I would wonder a bit about synthetic working its way out?

I wish I could say that my transfer case does not leak. It has gotten to be enough that I have to do something. I am going to pull it this winter and put some new seals in. I already have speedy sleeves on it and will try to use double lip seals if I can find them.

Comment

Working...
                          X