Ideas for activites for the 30th rally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ideas for activites for the 30th rally

As we were on our way home from this years great rally I thought of some activities for next year. Just throwing these out asking for your thoughts. I think it would be cool to line up all the series of trucks for the parade ie; all civilian Power Wagons, then WC's , M-37's and variants, Power Giants etc. Just the line up of the PW's and the military trucks would be something to see like a military convoy. It wouldn't be hard to line up like this for the parade.

For something to do during the day a blind slalom course. The drivers are blindfolded and have a navigator to guide them through a short course of cones say out on the west end of the fairgrounds or the field on Thursday night. Another would be a timed slalom, through a course then backing up to a 2x2 pole without knocking it over but touching it. We did this under the open air building at one of the first rallies I attended.

Would it be easier/better to grill the hot dogs ahead vs the wood fire and hot dog sticks? A charcoal grill would still give you the same flavor and speed things up a bit. Just a thought.

As for the parade with every series lined up voting would take less time and leave more time for the Kiwanis to do their pancake breakfast unless they can't do it anymore due to manpower?

Speaking of manpower the crew at VPW work their tails off to cover everything so would anyone volunteer to help out for the some of the events to keep things moving and lighten their load? Just asking.

If anyone else has ideas lets hear them so the 30th will be something special for everyone.

I agree I'd love to see the trucks go down the parade route and line up by class/series.

Everyone grilling their own dogs is fine by me, makes it more of an event rather than a feeding. I would like to see the "fixn's" libe better able to accomidate the speed of cookers.

I'd love to see a Chassie Dyno even set up for the entered trucks, I know there will lily be a cost issue, but if there was say a $20 per session fee for entered trucks it might be doable.
    I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
    Will
    WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
    1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
    1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
    1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
    2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

I have not been to a banquet in years. The last few I went to, the attendance was really dropping off. I, like many others, have been leaving Fairfield shortly after the parade on Saturday. I don't have far to drive, but it seems that many people absolutely have to leave early Saturday in order to make the drive home so they can be back at work on Monday.

I remember the first Rally when the Banquet was on Sunday night. We left right afterwards, got home late, and still got to work the next morning. That was a killer. Moving it to Saturday helped way back then. I feel it would help keep more people involved if it were moved to Friday evening. I think the parade, town square showing, and last minute shopping at VPW is enough of a schedule for Saturday and would still give people time to get back home to the grind.

Also, how about we give all those great people at VPW a much deserved break? Let them stay closed on Sunday. A Friday night banquet and a light Saturday schedule of activities would allow for this. If it takes moving the first official day of the Rally from Wednesday to Tuesday - so be it.

Just my observations/opinions.

Comment

All good ideas. I know the crew is pretty much toast by Saturday afternoon.
        I think the ballots could be counted quick enough after the parade to hand out awards.
        I have wondered in the past about a competition like the Camel trophy race; a different contest each night with a winner decided by total points and then an overall winner declared before the parade..

Comment

Originally posted by chewie View Post
          All good ideas. I know the crew is pretty much toast by Saturday afternoon.
          I think the ballots could be counted quick enough after the parade to hand out awards.
          I have wondered in the past about a competition like the Camel trophy race; a different contest each night with a winner decided by total points and then an overall winner declared before the parade..
          For several years early on I helped count ballots. It does not take long once you get a system down. Put a time limit by when the ballots have to be in - say 9:30. By 10:00 or 10:30 awards could be handed out.

Comment

I think there all valid suggestions with the best being parade lineup
            By model.

I will also say that I noticed no sheriff or city patrol cars blocking the
            East bound highway at the fairgrounds or any of the intersections like in
            Most years.

Watch a video of the parade and it shows how busted up the convoy was.
            Great Job VPW and Crew.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POEgwD9vaoo

TGP
            WDX & Misc. Pics.
            http://www.t137.com/cpg/index.php?cat=10010
            "47" Dodge WDX WW
            "52" Dodge M-37 WW
            "54" Willys M38A1
            "65" Kaiser M35A1 WW
            "77" Chev. K-30 400T,205,4.56 "No-Spin"
            "84" Chev, K-30 Cummins 6-BTA 400,205,3.73Locker
            "86" Chev, M1028A2 (K30) 6.2,400.205,4.56 Locker
            "99" Dodge Durango "Limited Slip"
            "99" Dodge 3500 CTD 4x4"No-Spin"

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Petroff View Post
              I think there all valid suggestions with the best being parade lineup
              By model.

I will also say that I noticed no sheriff or city patrol cars blocking the
              East bound highway at the fairgrounds or any of the intersections like in
              Most years.

Watch a video of the parade and it shows how busted up the convoy was.
              Great Job VPW and Crew.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POEgwD9vaoo

TGP
              I counted 83 trucks. Sure seemed like there was more. I know I talked to a guy from Jesup Iowa who had the 94th truck registered. You are right, the convoy was really busted up. I was close to the front. We all convoyed through the red lights.

Comment

The count I got was 96 trucks since I had a late entry and was # 95. I mentioned that too about blocking the intersections. Being close to the front we didn't waste anytime getting to the square this year.

Comment

The line up of trucks is a go for this year broke down in classified groups, I believe Ron in Indiana is going to be helping with this. So pass the word on needing to get started on the line up earlier.
                  Events will be a full week long this year starting with the Sunday before, an early arivers Trail ride and social event at the PWA Ranch in the early afternoon.

Monday night will be a meet and great at The PWA ranch. We will have food and a full trail ride around the Farm. Parking is not a problem and I will have spare room for trucks and or trailers as needed. It is roughly a 40 minute trail ride around the property and will be easily done in about any truck.

Tuesday night will be at the Jefferson County Cider works about 3 miles outside of town. We will have music playing and an all new menu, Taco bar that I have sampled and is very good.

Wednesday night we will be having a Truck endurance competition on the fairgrounds track, water/mud pit, hill climb, logs to drive over and such. I think this will give a chance for the Heavy off roaders a chance to show what there trucks are capable of without having to get a ride to the Kerr farm to watch.

Thursday evening will be trail rides to Phillips farm where we will be having the Weiner roast and Teeter board contest, in case of bad weather it will be held either at the PWA Ranch or the Fairgrounds.

Friday night will be the same with Camp Raffle Porkchop feed and Truck Pull.

Saturday will be the Parade and Banquet. With a Banquet location that is new and very much unique and friendly.

With this being the 30th I would really like to see 200 trucks?
                  Can we all work together and make this happen?

I am open to any other ideas to throw out, Once daily trail rides will be held out at the Phillips Farm leaving in the Morning to avoid the heat and get everyone back in town before lunch.

Any other thoughts and ideas please keep in touch.
                  1967 W200.aka.Hank
                  1946 WDX.aka.Shorty
                  2012 Ram 2500 PowerWagon.aka Ollie

Life is easier in a lower gear.

Comment

Matt, where is this PWA ranch at?

Sounds like a good plan so far. I hope to have my M37 running in time for it. My plate rusted to the flywheel and blew my master cylinder up.. if not one thing, it's another sometimes..

Comment

The PWA Ranch is 5 Miles South of Fairfield on HWY 1.

2587 Hwy 1 South.
                      1967 W200.aka.Hank
                      1946 WDX.aka.Shorty

Comment

Hi Matt,
                        Sounds like a Fun line up this year!
                        You/all, have been busy,
                        Tom
                        WDX & Misc. Pics.
                        http://www.t137.com/cpg/index.php?cat=10010
                        "47" Dodge WDX WW
                        "52" Dodge M-37 WW
                        "54" Willys M38A1
                        "65" Kaiser M35A1 WW
                        "77" Chev. K-30 400T,205,4.56 "No-Spin"
                        "84" Chev, K-30 Cummins 6-BTA 400,205,3.73Locker
                        "86" Chev, M1028A2 (K30) 6.2,400.205,4.56 Locker
                        "99" Dodge Durango "Limited Slip"
                        "99" Dodge 3500 CTD 4x4"No-Spin"

Comment

With a week long Rally, will the fairgrounds have extended hours also?

Comment

Clint the Fairgrounds will be open the Saturday before, Shower houses and such will be available. Camp Courageous will also be on sight grilling sandwiches through the week. As far as registration I am working on that to see if we can start that earlier.
                            I will keep all posted as I get more planned and finalized.
                            1967 W200.aka.Hank
                            1946 WDX.aka.Shorty

Comment

Working...
                            X