steering column "clunk", 2001 Ram

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• steering column "clunk", 2001 Ram

This is a problem in the 2nd generation trucks with the steering column lower bushing wearing out, and I have found what appears to be a fix for it. It is the Rock Solid column bushing.

http://www.rocksolidramtrucksteering.com/

If you look at the TDR registry site there is a lot written about this problem. The repair is not too hard unless you have a truck with ABS like mine, then it is very difficult to repair it without pulling the column.
    I am halfway into it, I wonder if anyone else has done this?

Lead the way.

Mine is not running right, or barely running, I am not sure which way to say it. It set nine codes. My fear is it's the computer again. I am scheduled for the dealer Thursday.

I have that noise you mention. Take photos, you can write an article about this procedure. :-)
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

I will let you know how it goes.
      I am pulling the column this week to ensure that I get the new bearing in properly.
      Some people are able to put it in with the column in place, but in my case the cup for the new bearing is a little tight of fit so I want to make sure it is right.
      The guy that sells them is very helpful.
      To replace the column is $900 plus, so this is not only a much cheaper alternative but is a better design, it appears.
      Many on the TDR forum are very pleased with it.

Comment

I just finished the job with installing the bushing, and during a test drive did not sense any "clunk". I will be taking a 400 mile trip at the end of this month so will report back if it eliminated it.
        My gut feeling is that it worked. Certainly the design of the Delrin bushing seems more robust than the factory bearing set-up. And, based on what I have read on the TDR forum, it looks favorable that this helped the steering security.
        On a different note, I just replaced all the brake lines with stainless steel lines. I had two rust outs in the last year involving my OEM lines (10 years old), and I do not want any more such "surprises"!

Comment

I just finished a 600 mile trip, and no "clunk".
          I believe the rocksolid bushing is the ticket for this problem.
          I will be sending in an article to PWA on this, by "third" CTD upgrade.

Comment

Great!
            Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Dave View Post
              I just finished the job with installing the bushing, and during a test drive did not sense any "clunk". I will be taking a 400 mile trip at the end of this month so will report back if it eliminated it.
              My gut feeling is that it worked. Certainly the design of the Delrin bushing seems more robust than the factory bearing set-up. And, based on what I have read on the TDR forum, it looks favorable that this helped the steering security.
              On a different note, I just replaced all the brake lines with stainless steel lines. I had two rust outs in the last year involving my OEM lines (10 years old), and I do not want any more such "surprises"!
              You are making me wish I did stainless lines on mine.Are they pre-bent? I think an upgrade list for these trucks is in order.

Comment

Yes, they are prebent. Very nice quality.
                When they came in though, there were a few extra pieces which made things a little confusing. My neighbor the mechanic figured out that the extra pieces were bent lines for a non ABS truck that was thrown in with my ABS SS lines.
                So, if you get the set up look things over carefully and if something does not seem to fit it might be for another truck.
                I am very glad that I made the change, as now, I should never have to worry about these lines rusting out for as long as I have this truck.

Comment

Working...
                X