New to M43/M37

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to M43/M37

Hello, I am New to Dodge M37, I have a M43 Ambulance. I intend to use this as a Wheelchair van for my son. I want to keep it looking as stock as possible But be able to drive it daily, as I will be installing a wheelchair lift. I want to know Were I can get a new 4.89 to 1 ring and pinion set and if I change to disc brakes will I have to change the military split rims? I will also be changing the engine as mine does NOT have one, just a transfer case. Any help would be great!

Welcome to the site and the fun and enjoyment of these great old Dodge Trucks.

4.89 gears are out there, several here will point you in the right direction, sorry, I can't. As for a daily driver, these old trucks are great to drive and a lot of fun to wheel, but they arn't exactly highway vehicles, or the best in road dynamics.

Switching to Disc Brakes won't require you to change rims, but if you do indeed intend to drive it as a daily driver a new 17" tubeless wheel would be an improvement. By the way, Ray who builds and sells the Disc Brake conversion is just now back in the US, but only for the next month.

Engine swaps abound, I went with a '68 small block MoPar (318) out of a W200. Vintage Power Wagons has taken my hydraulic clutch design and selling the mounts, Ray also has his design and kits for a MoPar with a mechanical linkage clutch. Others have gone to Cummins 4BT's, but for a daily driver a good MoPar Magnum out of a '76 Pickup might be the best bet. You can swap in the fuel injection and electronics as others have done and have a great power plant.
    I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
    Will
    WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
    1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
    1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
    1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
    2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

You might want to look at?

I did a post on this site about the M-43 trying to see if i can make it faster.
      I got a lot of help from other so look at (M-43 What it's top speed?) it might help you out.

Comment

http://www.powerwagonadvertiser.com/...ad.php?t=14384
        Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Trying to get the M37 to go faster is not a real good idea. They were built for low end use. Changing the ring and pinion in the axles will get you a few more MPH but it will kill any hill climbing ability. If you are keeping the same donkey engine keep in mind it may on a good day squeeze out 90 HP and the truck weighs about 6000 pounds.

You need to figure the cost of a few more MPH in dollars and cents and the loss of what power there is. You are likely to spend $600 or $700 bucks and get 8 or 9 more MPH on flat ground. Stuffing a bigger motor and different gears in it and brakes is a tremendous amount of work. It would be much cheaper and easier to get a van.

I always say these trucks were meant to have a lot of GRUNT but not much ZIP. Forcing it to do stuff it was never meant to do can cause problems.

Comment

XM1 152 Serial #2

I was planning on running a newer 1 ton suspension and drive train, I just want a daily driver for him. ALSO I have been trying to identify the data plate, It shows XM1 152 serial # 2. It is not an ambulance but more of a tool truck with side doors. Any help identifying it would be great

Comment

emails have been going around saying the ring and pinions are getting made at around $500/set
              http://www.g741.org/PHPBB/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6187

Make sure to hop on there as there is generally more regular activity over there and is specific to the m37 series.

You're going to have to make the truck power brakes if you want a daily driver for him and possibly an auto trans which means engine swap. Lots of engine swaps documented over there, and more importantly for you there are a few documented build threads where they put the M37 body on a 1ton frame

Comment

M43 Update

Well it's been about ten months and this is what I have. I removed the frame from the M43, removed the engine and transfer case cross members. Removed a M880 engine cross member then trial fit it in the M43 frame. I had to use the M43 frame, it is almost flat. I am going to make this a wheelchair Military off road truck. Still have to fab up the engine and transfer case cross members.

Comment

Thanks for being an Honorable Father

I think what you are doing is an honorable deed for you and your son to be able to enjoy the HMV hobbie. Remember it is not just a hobby but Military History 101 to boot. These vehicles is getting 40 + years old and when one tries to make them young and vibrante like we used to be they will tend to show their age if exceeded the original limits like we are now. Good luck on your restoration.

Later Joe

Comment

Working...
                  X