Socket storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Socket storage

How are you storing your sockets? My system is rooted in a history that was lacking in metric. I now have metric sockets in 3/8 and 1/2 drive, but standard and deep. The top of my upper cabinet can't hold all that, so I am considering some other approach.

When I was an automotive instructor, most of our hand tools were on panels you would walk up to and retrieve items. I find myself thinking about that, somewhat to my surprise. I see security issues in it, but I also see convenience.

Talk to me....
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Related.... it is handy to have a cart, or barrel, or some sort of stand to place tools on next to the vehicle.

What are you using for that?

Comment

One version of socket holding hardware. The stuff I have now came from Snap-on in the 70's.

www.ernstmfg.com

Comment

I prefer that style of socket storage, though the ones I have use a spring-loaded ball. That way I can just grab the whole stick of sockets and take them to the work site.

I have similar for wrenches and screwdrivers. When not in use the all stay in a large toolbox. Keeps them organized and protected both from theft and problems.

I do have a little rolling cart, a simple two shelf thing that I try to keep the tools I'm using on. Biggest problem with them is that right now there's truck parts all over the garage so I can barely roll it around, and the fact that any flat surface will collect junk, and the cart is no different.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
          One version of socket holding hardware. The stuff I have now came from Snap-on in the 70's.

www.ernstmfg.com
          I have a similar one for some of my 1/2" drives. I also have a complete Craftsman set (1/4,3/8,1/2 drive, both SAE & Metric) that is enclosed in plastic carrying case.

Just bought a 3/4" female to 1/2" male adaptor so I can use all my 1/2" drive sockets on my big boy 3/4" drive ratchet.

Bucky

Comment

One drawer is for metric....

all the wrenches and sockets go in the same drawer with the 1/4" & 3/8" sockets on plastic organizers. The 1/2" sockets go in a tray and deep sockets fight with the wrenches for a spot to hide. The 3/4" set is in the bottom drawer and only comes out when I have to scare a bolt out.

I use a "Kick-Step", it's old and metal and rolls untill you sit or stand on it, the casters are on springs. I think they are still sold, it's been repainted and repaired and a wonderful tool. It is almost never the right height but works pretty good for brakes. I also use a rolling workbench 2' x 5' top. shelf 8" above the floor, on an old machine frame. That get's the majority of tols and "stuff" close on a big project. The rest goes on the floor...LOL
            DrPepper

Comment

I like the portable plastic holders that have magnetic strips in them. One half holds the regular sized, the other for deep sockets. I had the metal holders with metal clips for a long time, but I found it sometimes difficult to remove a socket if my fingers got a little greasy, so I went with the magnets.

I have the drawer organizers for the roll away box, but I have too much stuff piled here and there to move that thing around! It stays put against the wall.
              If I have to haul more items than I can get with two hands, I use a tackle box. Even take advantage of all the compartments to keep track of nuts and bolts that have been removed..
              On a side note, medium sized tackle boxes make great fuse and wiring organizers. Handbooks, testing equipment, bales of wire all fit nicely in my Plano...

Comment

For the rollaround I prefer the bolted down clip style. That way you know for sure that you "missed" one when cleaning up from a project. The plastic saw tooth style are nice for the ratchets and wrenches too. Makes grabbing wrenches easier to me, size wise.

I Have separate drawers for metric sockets, metric wrenches, air tool stuff and 3/4" and up stuff. Just keeps the searching to a minimum.

Here is a couple "untidied" examples

A single magnetic rail works good for screwdrivers as well. flats on one side and phillips on the other

Comment

I have two roller cabinets. One has a top chest and one does not. The one with is an old Craftsman manufactured in the late 60's and mid 70's. Meaning, the top chest I bought new in 1967 and the bottom I bought in 1974. The other roller cabinet is nicer, a Mac, and I got it used. It is more substantial than the pieces from Sears, though none of them have roller drawer slides, something I would like to have in a next unit.

I have been collecting tools for now 46 years. They don't all fit in these two assemblies. Necessarily, we all end up with duplicates of things by choice. There are times we need two 9/16 wrenches or sockets. This means we have entire sets of things duplicated. Add to that the metric world. Add to your screwdriver group things like Torx and hex keys.

Just for sockets and wrenches it takes quite a bit of space. This is why I consider some sort of out of cabinet storage system. That idea has a lot of drawbacks, I admit, but it has its virtues, too.

Comment

I prefer the cheap rails with a spring clip to hold my sockets. They allow a lot of flexability for storage. Like mentioned earlier it is easy to grab the entire strip and go. I keep all standard in one drawer and metric in another, 6 point on one strip, and 12 on another, same with the wrenches. I don't like the pre-marked fancy trays or clips, they don't allow you to have more than one of any size. I find it nice to have 2 or 3 of the common sizes like 7/16, 1/2, 9/16, etc. The "organizer" style do not account for that. I have a tote style tool box that I keep empty and use it for off site work. I can load plumbing tools in if I'm helping with a water heater, grab sockets and wrenches if working on brakes for a friend, roadside repair when I go to a show, the uses go on. Then when done I can put them back in the mother ship and quick look to see if inventory is missing.

Comment

Montazoma Chest

Gordon, have you checked out the Montazuma Chest? A host of various sizes are available. Fits well on top of roller cabinets and is the best walk-up access to sockets and other tools I've seen in a chest format. I like it much better than a drawer set up. There are some really nice late model additions to their line that are even better than the one we have. Several distributors offer them, that is constantly growing, as these chest have become very popular. I'd highly recommend checking these out before making a new purchase if you are thinking of that.

Comment

Interesting, thank you, I will check it out!

Comment

They do have a really interesting concept called the Crossover.

Their website is here: http://www.montezumamfg.com

The Crossover is here: http://www.montezumamfg.com/store/ca...over-toolboxes

Comment

the sloped topped units are run on many farm trucks as the tools are secure with all the bouncing/etc...

I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
                            Will
                            WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
                            1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
                            1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
                            1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
                            2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

I like the concept. A local farm supply store is listed as a dealer.

Comment

Working...
                              X