No announcement yet.

Socket storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great thread Gordon, and a continual challenge for any serious mechanic! That being the case I post even to this vintage thread.

Something to consider: a strip of 1" to 3" x 1/8" metal, either mild steel, stainless or aluminum diamond plate, whatever you grab. Cut to chosen length, round off the corners. Attach the proper round rod stock spaced about every 1" or so down the center over the full length of metal strip. This rod stock can be spot welded to metal strip. Over outside of rod stock press on a section of rubber or vinyl fuel line to cover rod, vinyl being preferred. The diameter of rod and fuel line when together should be of a proper O.D. size to fit snugly in the square hole of sockets and hold them by friction. Some experimentation will show what works best per socket drive size.

These strips may either be left portable or set side by side in your tool tray as needed. The wider width being preferred for a tray storage and narrower being best for portable. You want the vinyl fuel line to be tight enough I.D. to be stuck very tightly to the rod, so they don't pull off when removing socket.

Second method for a roll away: Use 2" x 3" angle iron with 3" side laying flat as the foot, and narrower side vertical. Weld short lengths of rod stock spaced about every 1" down length of vertical side, on the same side as the foot section on bottom, with rod stock at a 45* angle to vertical. That is with 3" foot on bottom and 2" side vertical, the rods are angled like the pitch of a roof, anywhere from 30* to 45* off of the vertical side, and on the same side as wider foot. Sockets simply slip over pegs and just the angle keeps sockets in place by gravity. For a tool tray or roll away you can screw down or spot weld the angle to floor of tray to better prevent tipping.

Comment

http://www.craftsman.com/craftsman-2...&blockType=G12

This is similar to the set that I have. I don't have a massive rolling chest, but I actually prefer this setup because if I will generally need a couple of sockets at once and it's nice to be able to pull the whole 1/4, 3/8, or 1/2 drive set and go from there.

Comment

I use foam.. Same stuff the military uses to prevent FOD . and you will also notice immediately when a tool of any type is out of place

Comment

Working...
        X