Online version of PWA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Online version of PWA

For quite some time I have been considering the possibility of an online version of the monthly Power Wagon Advertiser magazine. I would like to hear from all of you on your thoughts and opinions on this.

As of yet it is still in the thinking and planning process. I myself love the smell, the touch and the feel of paper. At the same time I am posting this from my tablet.

Please give it some thought and let me know both positive and negative thoughts on this.

Matthew
    1967 W200.aka.Hank
    1946 WDX.aka.Shorty
    2012 Ram 2500 PowerWagon.aka Ollie

Life is easier in a lower gear.

I hope this does not lead to any increase in bathroom injuries...

Reading a paper magazine is strangely satisfying, and much safer.

CD
    1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
    1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
    2001 Dodge 2500 (Dish...formerly Maney's Mopar)
    1978 Suzuki GS1000EC (fulfills the need...the need for speed)
    1954 Ford 860 tractor
    1966 Chrysler LS 16 sailboat (as yet un-named)
    UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FITS

Comment

I vote for paper. I really dislike reading magazines online. I guess I am just old fashioned like that.
      Jeff

Comment

Digital PWA

Maybe an option to subscribe to both? I switched my newspaper subscription to digital several years ago. Wouldn't ever go back to paper now.

For the magazine, I also use it as a reference and appreciate having a "hard copy" on my shelf. Would be nice to electronically search the archives to find articles that discuss whatever I am looking for.....
        Tim Ellis

1953 B4 PW
        2013 Dodge 2500 Diesel

Clean fingernails, free weekends, intact knuckles and financial stability are totally overrated.

Comment

I vote paper for me but if others prefer it that is fine. My only concern would be if it was a forced, online only option or that it would lead to the demise of the current paper copy. I'm old school in that aspect I guess but do frequent the online sites when I can. When the electric goes out I can read. Without a generator, computer only stuff is a no go. No cell phone for me yet either so don't go there! ;)

Comment

You should go full bore into the digital realm. Look at the magazine publishers around for popular items like Source Interlink. Great mags like Popular Hotrodding,Pontiac Magazine etc are dead.

When I was a kid newspaper vending machines were on every corner and got pumped full of quarters. And I had a paper route. Now find me the legion of kids doing paper routes now? They stopped existing in concert with the decline in popularity of print media.

Now they give away papers all over the place. Sorry for the long post. But I would really like your publication to survive going forward and thrive.

Comment

I personally enjoy the old looking brown magazine that I receive in the mailbox. In fact if it wasn't for the PWA I would just get rid of my mailbox.

Comment

Offer both? I would love to see the mag in COLOR online!

Comment

Online version of PWA

Call me old school or just getting old but I prefer the printed version.

I can read them anywhere anytime, save them, mark up the cover with something of interest, don't need internet access to read them, and the back issues I got would not be available online.

I can see the benefits of an online version for many.

just my 2 cents

Thanks

daveyk

Comment

I think an online version would be great as an adjunct to the printed version. I subscribe to Turbo Diesel Registry and not only do they publish a big pertinent magazine on a quarterly basis, the magazine is also available in digital form. Also they have several years of back issues online so that a reader can refer to an article that was published before he or she subscribed.
                    That's something I would love to see with the PWA as many of Gordon's best "Tailgate" pieces were printed before I subscribed.
                    And that is my considered opinion. I know it would be onerous for the current editor and his "Staff" ;-) .
                    One drawback might be that it would scuttle the market for old issues of PWA. Well it's a drawback if a person has been sitting on a mountain of old issues waiting for the market to be just right but really, that's their problem.
                    Whatever you decide will most likely be okay with most folks. I should however point out that the TDR is considerably more expensive than the PWA. So basically if we want more features we're going to have to be willing to support them financially. I am willing, how about the rest of you guys?
                    Power wagons are a dwindling resource, so fewer people are likely to subscribe compared to the Cummins powered trucks in the TDR. Sure younger guys are coming along and contracting our mutual affliction but many restorable trucks are rusting to nothing in fields and driveways. I have parted with many of my old PWA's , giving them to truck owners who never heard the magazine or the website.
                    The tiered access we have now could be expanded with greater access to archives being assessed a higher rate than print only.
                    I look forward to seeing what comes of this idea of yours.

Comment

I would not do away with the printed copy, and there are some very good points across the board. I would like to keep this conversation going with as much input as possible. Having digital copies of all the magazines, tailgate chains and service manuals is another thought I have been pondering.

Also I am looking for any input from you all on what you would like to see in upcoming magazines, topics of interest. Feel free to throw any ideas my way I am open to hearing and considering any ideas.

Thanks again to all of you, Matthew
                      1967 W200.aka.Hank
                      1946 WDX.aka.Shorty
                      2012 Ram 2500 PowerWagon.aka Ollie

Life is easier in a lower gear.

Comment

I would support a digital copy of the magazine as long as the Paper copy
                        Didn't go away.
                        Also copies of back issues would be great.
                        I think that would be a daunting task to locate and upload the copies.

Thanks for your work in improving and keeping everything running as intended.

TGP
                        WDX & Misc. Pics.
                        http://www.t137.com/cpg/index.php?cat=10010
                        "47" Dodge WDX WW
                        "52" Dodge M-37 WW
                        "54" Willys M38A1
                        "65" Kaiser M35A1 WW
                        "77" Chev. K-30 400T,205,4.56 "No-Spin"
                        "84" Chev, K-30 Cummins 6-BTA 400,205,3.73Locker
                        "86" Chev, M1028A2 (K30) 6.2,400.205,4.56 Locker
                        "99" Dodge Durango "Limited Slip"
                        "99" Dodge 3500 CTD 4x4"No-Spin"

Comment

One thing that I had suggested privately to Matt some time ago is to retain the printed version, if a digital one was added like the TDR does, but go from a published monthly printed version to every 2 months or 3 months, in order to get more "meat" into each issue.
                          I enjoy the paper version, but I wish there were more articles in them. I have heard this from other subscribers too.
                          The digital version would be more "real time" for the people who are advertising their trucks, etc., so that the advertising aspect would not take a hit from being published less often in printed form.
                          The TDR seems to be doing well with 4 printed versions a year that are full of articles, and yet a digital version and Forum for day to day "stuff".

Comment

The tech guy in me likes the digital idea, but honestly I don't tend to use them in practice. I keep the paper one in a "handy reading area" and like most save the back copies for reference, though I'm not great at referencing them, for that the digital versions would probably be better.

I do tend to agree that it might be nice to drop to 6-issues and get some more material in each issue. Of course I should probably help with that myself. Gordon had asked for some articles based off my build thread, and started a second but it's been back-seat to actually finishing the truck.

Comment

I like others have not found Digital Magazines that rewarding or as user friendly. I can see how a every two month (6 issues a year) could help keep cost down and bulk up the volume, that is providing the number of contributors doesn't drop off.

In moving to 6 issue a year the movement of the adds to the PWA WEB site is a good move, but there are several people who get the magazine who aren't accessing the WEB site, so continuing to print the adds will still be beneficial.

I believe Gordon's idea of the paid access portions of the PWA WEB site (with your subscription) was to promote on-line technical sharing among users in "real time". Re-publishing not moving (or dual publishing) some of the printed Technical Articles on the paid access portion of the PWA WEB site would be similar in effect.
                              I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
                              Will
                              WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
                              1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
                              1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
                              1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
                              2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

Working...
                              X