Best Pressure Washer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Pressure Washer?

In a continuing effort to fight the deadly rust devil I've decided I need the aid of a pressure washer.

I can't afford a gas/diesel model. I like the idea of a heated or steam unit which may not be possible in an electric model.

Do you all have preferences or suggestions? Other than cleaning frames, axles, springs etc I'd probably like to use it on the house siding, boat, tractors & equipment etc.

thanks,
    1951 B-3 Delux Cab, Braden Winch, 9.00 Power Kings
    1976 M880, power steering, 7.50x16's, flat bed, lots of rust & dents
    1992 W250 CTD, too many mods to list...
    2005 Jeep KJ CRD

I think, given your likely applications, an electric would be a best value. Spray can or spray bottle degreasers can do a good job of prewash prep.
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

I have a K.E.W. pressure washer that is electric with a boiler and burns diesel fuel. The temperature can be regulated and will take off all but the most baked on grease. I can also add soap to the water to help clean. Karcher is a name brand washer too.

Comment

Watch out for the electrics...

They tend to be pretty weak, you have to plug them in and since pressure needs horsepower you have a 120Volt limit of ~3/4 HP. I finally found a good deal ($150 garage sale) on a 3000psi Karcher (~3+ HP gas?) cold water gas unit. It is only as big as a lawnmower but does a really nice job. If you buy used, only buy something that has a local dealer and parts available. There are lots of Craigs list, off brand - Harbor freight P/W's "that just need a little work"...but parts are not available. Save up for a good one. IMHO
        DP

Comment

Good advice on getting a unit that can be serviced. Stay away from the box store name brands too. They have them built to THEIR cheaper specs. I have a friend who bought what he thought was a good unit but only lasted 80 hours on the farm. He called a service dealer for parts and was told they put plastic parts in the pump for Home Depot to cut the price and only have a life he got out of his unit. The replacement pump was the price of his unit when he bought it.
          As for an electric, no a cold water unit won't put out the pressure of a gas unit. Adding hot water makes all the difference and it cleans well. Another thing to look for is the gallons per minute output also.

Comment

Unless you plan on using it ALOT & on many projects over a long period of time, you may be better off renting a large & capable gasoline powered version from a paint store or equipment rental place.

Bucky

Comment

Hmm. Hadn't thought about renting...

Was just thinking if I had one on hand things would get cleaned more often.
              1951 B-3 Delux Cab, Braden Winch, 9.00 Power Kings
              1976 M880, power steering, 7.50x16's, flat bed, lots of rust & dents
              1992 W250 CTD, too many mods to list...
              2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

Renting can be a good idea.
                Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Originally posted by Ron in Indiana View Post
                  Adding hot water makes all the difference and it cleans well. Another thing to look for is the gallons per minute output also.
                  I gave up on the local rental company, as the only one who had a steam cleaner was 25 miles away, and twice the thing was all but in disrepair. I did manage to get it to work, but it was a bull and jam session, stressful, and ultimately it pushed me over the edge of buying a gas powered pressure washer which I do not use often... but it is always ready, on my schedule, and stress free.

Since then I have been thinking that a used 30 gallon electric hot water heater from craigslist could be plumbed with a hose, plugged in and used on occasions that I need HOT water out the end of the pressure washer.

Comment

Working...
                  X