68 1/2 ton Power wagon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 68 1/2 ton Power wagon

I am looking at buying a great condition 68 1/2 ton Powerwagon in great shape. Is there an alternative fuel tank option ? Is it dangerous having it behind the back seat ? Is there an aftermarket tai and placement that I should consider ?

There are various things that can be done if you're really that worried about it, such as mounting an aftermarket tank in the bed. I have driven trucks with tanks in the cab for thirty years and never had a problem or even worried about having a problem with one... at least as far as them being dangerous. Danger is a subjective idea, all in all it comes down to what you, personally, are comfortable with or not. Consider that the truck was built in 1968, and assuming that it is running and driving, it has carried people and good for almost fifty years without air bags, crumple zones, seat belts (ok, maybe lap belts), anti lock brakes, and with the gas tank in the cab behind the seat. If you are worried about a vehicle being "dangerous" to drive, there may be bigger concerns than where the fuel tank is located.

Comment

Tank

I was not that worried about it. Just trying to find out if most people leave it as is or not.

Comment

Sorry if I came off as a little bit harsh, that was not my intention. Most folks do not bother replacing them unless they are ruined. I have seen many cases where people have added additional tanks to extend the available range between fill ups. Because the frame of these trucks was never designed for a fuel tank between the frame rails underneath, that can be a complicated thing to accomplish. There are many in-bed fuel tanks that can be adapted if you don't mind giving up the cargo space, but most of the commercially available ones are rated for "diesel only" for liability reasons. There is space outside the frame that can be utilized (saddle tanks), but that is generally more of a fire hazard than the in cab tank, because of the higher risk of low, side impacts. I have saddle tanks on one of my trucks, and I have sacrificial "crash cages" built around them for the occasion that a small car tries to drive up under me. The cage will take the hit and likely be destroyed, but damage to the tank should be minimal.

There are a few, reputable tank builders that will build you whatever you want, for a price. In some instances this is entirely worth it. Unless you start rebuilding the truck with specific performance goals in mind, I shall withhold any advice in that area, though I do have some experience.

Comment

I have identified a 68 1/2 4x4 ton that I am going to buy on Monday of it is exactly what the current owner says it is. I can't post photos however I will update. Anything in particular that I should look at ? Has a new power train with receipts from Mopar Madness. Body is 98% perfect. 2 owners. Garage kept. I was told to make sure and jack up the front end and check up and down wheel play related to the knuckle and bearing race.

Comment

Originally posted by 1surfer View Post
            I was not that worried about it. Just trying to find out if most people leave it as is or not.
            I have never had any reason to change the location of the gas tank
            on any of my Sweptlines.

As for what to look for on the truck you're interested in.... I'd suggest
            giving it a thorough going over for body, engine/drive train. brake
            system, cooling and electrical issues. Can you test drive it? If so, I'd
            suggest doing so. You're buying a 48 year old truck.... there will definitely
            be things that need attention.
            John

Comment

Radiator

I have a question about the radiator in My 68 12/ton that I purchased yesterday.

It has a drivetrain that we build by Mopar Madness and replaced less than 10k miles ago. That was about 10 years ago. Garage kept.

The radiator was also replaced. It seems to work well.

We topped off the radiator fluid and after some test driving the overflow ****ed out a little liquid. Less than a cup. The it stopped.

I drove it from Denver to Summit county up one of the biggest hills in the country.
              None bigger unless you live in the rockies. Its a big *** long hill ... Then home to Breckenridge.

It did very well, engine did not seem to heat up according to the gauge and smell.
              When I got home no radiator fluid came out.

Then after a short drive of abut 5 miles around town, I came home and it pushed out some radiator fluid. Not much, less than 1/2 cup or so.

Why would this be happening ?

Comment

The original cooling system used a 7psi radiator cap.
                I'm not sure what was put in its place on your truck.
                John

Comment

Working...
                X