Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1953 Air Force M43, running with tons of parts!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1953 Air Force M43, running with tons of parts!

Hello everyone,
    I am helping to sell an M43 on behalf of my neighbor. The truck was owned by her late husband for the past 30 years; I believe he was the first purchaser from the military. I will do my absolute best to describe the truck as accurately as possible, answer any questions, take any desired photos, and help to the best of my ability, but this is a new truck to me, and I don't know all of its quirks.
    The owner was preparing to start a restoration of the truck at the time of his passing and had amassed quite a lot of new parts that the truck needs. I have managed to start the truck, and it starts consistently but with the aid of starter fluid. It will need to be tuned by someone who knows what they are doing, as I do not.

List of new parts included with the truck:
    New set of 5 mounted Super Swampers
    New exhaust system: everything except the manifold (which is fine), including a NOS exhaust tip and new hangers
    New brake system: 4 new wheel cylinders, new brake shoes and springs, new hoses, and a new master cylinder (I already installed the new master cylinder)
    New Fender cowling
    New mirrors and mirror arms
    New window / door seals
    Various new small bulbs
    New taillight covers (maybe new housings, I need to dig around more)
    New seals to go around steering column and various pedals? Lots of little rubber grommets that I haven't seen before, but are definitely related.
    NOS Tie rod ends/sockets
    Lots of axle seals- Inner and outer, I think.
    New pair of O.D. shocks
    New pair of black shocks
    New pair of mirrors
    New set of wiper blades
    New Oil hose set
    New headlight bulb (just one? - so far)
    Spare axle - surface rust... Not sure if just used, or NOS
    Kits to rebuild the wheel cylinders (as well as the new wheel cylinders...You'll be set on brakes for a while!)
    New military distributor wires

This truck definitely needs some work but would make a great project.
    Cons:
    Broken spotlight
    Cracked passenger windshield
    Broken passenger side door glass.
    Exhaust rusted out (Comes with replacement!)
    Wheel cylinders leak
    Short steel tube that connects to master cylinder is broken (it snapped when I replaced the master cylinder - I cut the middle and replaced with a thick rubber hose- good enough for moving around, but not safe to drive on)
    Non-original paint job, inside and out
    Rust! :Runs along box roof line, patch of rust on side of box, in front of cab doors, corner of passenger door, and bad rust to the top corner of the windshield frame on the passenger side... Should all be very fixable with a decent mig or tig and some replacement parts.
    Dents here and there - Passenger rear corner looks like it went up too steep of a slope at one point, and the running boards have had a hard life

Pros:
    All of those new parts
    New tires
    Runs strong, no smoke
    Batteries from 09, but very strong. Started truck after sitting for 18 months with no charging.
    Engine compartment looks all original - Mechanical pump, military distributer, etc.
    Shifts great
    Dualmatic Lockout Hubs (Not sure what they are really worth, but there is a NOS set on ebay for $700)
    Original racks and straps in the rear
    Working blue medical light in rear
    Not robbed of any parts- believe it still has the heater under the racks (I need to remove a tank from the bank to check)
    Titled

Located in Durham, North Carolina. Asking $3500, but don't be shy to make an offer.

Send me an ad for the magazine. It's free, use contact us link below.
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Did this truck ever sell?

Comment

Working...
      X