1st Power Wagon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st Power Wagon

First of all, hello all. I have just acquired my 1st Power Wagon. It is a 1949 B-1-PW-126 that I am going to do a frame-off restoration. I just finished a 1972 Landcruiser conversion with V8, auto trans, power steering, disc brakes and so much more and decided it was time to go with a piece of american history.

The truck is very straight with a rust free and freshly painted frame. It was mostly disassembled wen I got it and does not have the bed for it. Below are a couple of pics. It came with a new wiring harness, new rebuilt radiator and heater core, locking front hubs, and other accessories.

Before I begin, I need to decide if I should just make it a very clean truck or an exact factory rebuild. My concerns are costs such as for the bed. I can build a aftermarket bed for much less than finding and rebuilding an original bed, any advise?

Although the serial number and pink slip puts the truck as a 1949, the cab dash has 4 round holes for instruments in center along with the spedo and two instrument clusters in front of steering wheel, see pic below. Is this the original cab or a later model? again this helps to determine if I do an original rebuild or just a clean truck.

I am going to start on the frame and running gear first, engine, trans, transfer and PTO next, and sheet metal last.

I look forward to not only gaining valuable information from many of you who have rebuilt these trucks but also helping others as I move forward on this build.

Thanks for reading my first thread and hope to get some advise on what I have to start with and what direction I should go.
    Attached Files

Ist Power Wagon

Forgot to attach a picture of cab interior to help identify year and what gauges go in the four holes at center of dash.
    Attached Files

Comment

Congratulations on the new truck! Looks to be a great resto candidate. As far as the four gauges in the middle of the dash, those were added, not original.

Keep posting your progress!

Comment

Thats what I thought and why I may just make this a very clean running truck that may not be an exact resto with all matching numbers ect. Since I plan on converting it to a 12v system anyways, I can use these holes for updated gauges.

Comment

good looking truck!
          You have an advantage with the western climate. I had to weld in a lot of metal with my truck (eastern) when I got it.

Comment

very nice

Judging from the paint on the inner doors, winch and missing bed, that looks like an old phone company truck. wish my m37 was that clean when I got it

Comment

Very nice! Glad to see another truck being restored. Tons of experience around here, don't be shy. The transfer case and transmission are not as hard as you would think. Lots of parts available.

Regarding the gauges... The gauges in my '56 I think are only one step better than an idiot light... I've kept an aftermarket temperature gauge on mine to know the real temp, even though I have "sort of" calibrated my gauge.

Wayne

Comment

Welcome, you have a great start!
                Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Thanks for all the welcomes and am glad I found the forum with those that have the same interests as I.

Not to concerned on many of the mechanical issues although I am sure I will have questions as I get into replacing seals, bearings and other things. I have some experience from the total rebuild I did on my 1972 Lancruiser.

The one thing that I am stumped on or have not made a dission on is the truck bed. I was given two side panels (good shape, little surface rust only) that have the 4 stake pockets and look to be right for truck but thats it. I have been texting with Matt Tisdale who manufactures replacement after market bed parts where I can get the front panel, fenders and the six cross members but do not have any diagrams showing how the bed goes together so I do have a couple of questions:

1. has anyone ordered any of Matt Tisdale's parts before and would this save me time and money over locating and restoring an original bed?

2. Does anyone have a diagram showing how the bed and cross members are installed? looks like I would need some brackets for cross members to make them level for the bed floor?

3. Has anyone herd of "Bruce Horkey Wood and Parts" this is the only site I have found for the wood floor and SS guide/keeper strips.

I'm just trying to figure out if I should go this direction or just fabricate a flat bed for it.

Thanks again for the great welcome and I look forward to any advice thats out there.

Comment

Another link to bed wood/parts...

http://www.mar-k.com/

Comment

Thanks for the link. Now all I need is to now how all this goes together and all parts needed for a complete bed. All I have is a truck frame (ref photos at top of thread

Comment

Looks like a great start, as a former FJ55 land cruiser owner I was surprised how much Toyota copied the Dodge (especially the M37), to me a Landcruiser now seems like a Powerwagon that got stuck in a 1950's Japanese secret shrink-ray machine and was powered by a GM stovebolt six...

Comment

Bed

Welcome to the group!
                          If you do a search of the forum, you should find several discussions on our beds and their construction. Here is a link you might find helpful as well.
                          http://www.t137.com/ToddSomers/Bed/index.htm

Tim
                          Tim Ellis

1953 B4 PW
                          2013 Dodge 2500 Diesel

Clean fingernails, free weekends, intact knuckles and financial stability are totally overrated.

Comment

Thanks 53 Crusher, the link you provided did answer many of my questions. I guess I will need to manufacture (unless I can find them) the riser supports that bolt off frame to some of the cross members.

Also thanks Chris Olson, I'm glad to hear that there are similarities between the older FJ's and these trucks. I have totally rebuilt a 72 FJ40 (and still have it) including swapping out the front birts from a FJ60 to get disc brakes and was hoping that this experience would help me when reconditioning the Power Wagon.

Comment

Don't be in a hurry to take apart the trans, transfer case and PTO. Many of these trucks have low mileage and the drive train may be in very good condition.

Usually, the engines have suffered the ravages of time, but you never know.

Comment

Working...
                              X