No announcement yet.

1st Power Wagon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thought about that. Just going to remove any cover to look for pitted/broken gears, ect. If looks good will just seal them up and add some new fluids. Of course a new paint job while I'm at it.

Comment

Originally posted by 53Crusher View Post
      Welcome to the group!
      If you do a search of the forum, you should find several discussions on our beds and their construction. Here is a link you might find helpful as well.
      http://www.t137.com/ToddSomers/Bed/index.htm

Tim
      Here is another link that may be helpful:

http://www.dodgepowerwagon.com/spotter/bed.html

Comment

Thanks Clint, very helpfull

Comment

Down to FRame

I now have it down to the frame, ordered and received all the rolling chassis parts (brakes, bearings, seals, gaskets ect.) and am in the process of blasting all frame parts. Wanted some opinions from others that have done full restorations. Again am blasting all frame and parts, questions opinions for now are:

what is a good primer and paint for fully cleaned metal?

Should I blast and paint original nuts and bolts for frame brackets, transfer case bolts, PTO winch, frame extension and bumper bolts, ect or replace with new maybe even with zinc coated nuts and bolts leaving them unpainted for a different look? JUst looking for opinions and advice.

Thanks all and will keep all updated as I proceed.
          Attached Files

Comment

paint and bed

I researched the topic of paint pretty well and also went down to pur local dupont rep. I ended up going with sand blasting the frame, epoxy primer and two part urethatne gloss black. a lot of guys are using rustoleum professional grade brushable. Im using that on smaller parts as well. a lot of guys swear by POV as the primer, and a lot have had bad experiance.

As far as the bed, I would think you could call several of the fellas that deal in dodge parts and get a complete bed in need of rebuilding prety reasonably. I also think that a aftermarket bed made for carrying tools of some sort would be prety handy.

Comment

Cab Mounting

Hello all, it's been over 6 years since I introduced myself and started this project. It has been in my lower garage where I tinker with it every now and then. now up to date information and a question.

I have completed my fully functional rolling running chassis. Replaced every nut. bolt. washer, shim, gear and the list go's on forever. Have attached a few pics of my completed work.

I am now back at it (after a couple of years off) and working on the sheet metal. I am getting ready to mount cab, have the new front wood blocks and bolts but can not find a source for the springs that mount over 3 of the bolts under frame mounts. Anyone have a source for these or dimensions (spring length, dia, wire dia. spring rate) so that I may find something online that may work? Could really use a couple of pics of the mounting (both front and rear). When I got the truck it just had stacks of rubber used but I want to do it the way it came. Thanks in advance for any help.

I started a new thread titled "Help Mounting Cab" Hope you will respond there. Thanks again
              Attached Files
              Last edited by texcwa; 01-19-2018, 10:51 PM. Reason: Started new thread

Comment

springs

I Know the body mount springs on my m37 pretty hefty. you may try some for an m37 from Memphis equipment or Midwest military. I would imagine world war two wc springs or m37 should interchange,

Comment

I am hoping Wyogus chimes in here, he is I believe using a 3 point cab mount system that works really well, wondering what he used for cab mounting springs. On Gus.
                  1967 W200.aka.Hank
                  1946 WDX.aka.Shorty
                  2012 Ram 2500 PowerWagon.aka Ollie

Life is easier in a lower gear.

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew Ziegler View Post
                    I Know the body mount springs on my m37 pretty hefty. you may try some for an m37 from Memphis equipment or Midwest military. I would imagine world war two wc springs or m37 should interchange,
                    Thanks for the info Matthew. I will be setting the cab tomorrow so will have an idea as to the spring length. I can then check with one or both of your recommended sources and see what length and dia the M37 springs are,

Comment

Looks like you are doing a super nice job there Tex!
                      Greg Coffin
                      Unrepentant Dodge Enthusiast

1951 Dodge M37 - Bone Stock
                      1958 Dodge M37 - Ex-Forest Service Brush Truck
                      1962 M37-B1 - Work in Progress
                      1962 Dodge WM300 Power Wagon - Factory 251, 4.89s
                      1944/1957 Dodge WM500T 6x6 Power Wagon - LA318-3, NP435, 5.83s, Power Steering, Undercab Power Brakes
                      1974 Dodge W200 - 360/727, Factory Sno-Fighter Package

Comment

Thanks Greg, its been a long journey but a fulfilling one. I made a short YouTube vid awhile back when I finally got it running. You can find it on YouTube by searching "1949 B1 PW Comes to Life"

Comment

I love the twin carburetors, thank you for sharing this build with us.
                          1967 W200.aka.Hank
                          1946 WDX.aka.Shorty
                          2012 Ram 2500 PowerWagon.aka Ollie

Life is easier in a lower gear.

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew Welcher PWA View Post
                            I love the twin carburetors, thank you for sharing this build with us.
                            Thanks Matthew

I did do a complete frame off resto replacing everything, blasting and painting complete rebuild of engine, trans, transfer case, PTO, front and rear diff's, brakes, springs, complete plumbing and electrical, ect, ect, ect. Everything to OEM condition except for the twin Weber carbs (using time period correct parts) and switching to 12v. I documented the complete process over the last 6 years with photographs so if any members run into an issue I should have a photo for it "keeping in mind that I am not an expert in anyway on these trucks"

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew Ziegler View Post
                              Matthew, Thanks again for the information, Midwest Military did have some good used springs so have them on the way.

Comment

Hi texcwa, could you describe the paint process you chose for the frame? Wondering what was your final decision.

Comment

Working...
                                X