No announcement yet.

Dual rear output NP205

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would love to get more info on the dual output conversion BrightRanch...
    Not trying to hyjack your thread!
    I have a rather odd and unique Dodge Van that has 2 rear axles in tandem, and only one is driven.
    Having read up every piece of info in the Pirate and other forums, I am still unsure how to do this and welcome ideas, thoughts and comments.

My rig has a 360 Magnum motor, mated to a 727 trans with a NP203 behind it. The 203 has a drivers side drop feeding the Dana 44 front.
    At the moment the rear output feeds the forward rear Dana 70, and the rearward Dana 70 is sitting idle.

The best plan/idea I have so far is to graft a mated NP205 onto the 203 front case using a doubler, then put the second output in as you have described. The second rear output would then feed "Over the shoulder" with a block and bearing to the rearmost axle. I may have to flip the tubes and shafts in one of the D70's to get a better lineup.
    There are a couple of things I am worried about aside from never having opened a Transfer case before...
    Does this plan work in principle?
    Can this be done with a mated 205?
    Will the TC be ok with longer runs on the freeway without overheating?

This is a longer term project, so no hurry, but I am trying to:
    1/ Figure out if this will work!
    2/ Figure out what parts I need.
    3/ Aquire parts as and when i see them.

Oh, here is the beast...

Comment

Hi Key, THe case I modified is a mated 205 The parts I robbed to make it dual output came from the rear end output on a 201.
      I never tried them but I suspect you could take two 205's and do the same thing.
      You will have to put dual shift levers for the transfer case. it won't work with the single shifter.
      I also wonder if you couldn't take a divorced 205 and mount it backwards behind your 203 and simply run the power into the rear output?
      you would have to get creative with the shift linkage but it sure seems like it would work to me.
      I have been running my TC for going on 3 years hauling equipment and trailer's around the ranch.
      Some of the stuff we pull around is pretty big 20,000+ pounds. stack movers, grain carts Etc. And haven't had any foaming or over heating problems yet.
      Am running master pro synthetic 75-90 oil in it.
      As far as your rig goes... That thing is COOL!!!
      All it needs is a car trailer with a Flat Fender Power Wagon on it and you would be the envy of the rally!

Comment

Good info Bright.
        I also read that you could make a 205 part work, and maybe that would be the way to go.
        For now its just figuring out what will work and getting a list of parts to be on the lookout for.

My plan was to dual stick the 205, but it just makes sense to me to leave the mated half of the 203 attached to the 727 transmission and add the doubler between the 203 and 205.

I spoke to ORD and they said it will work fine, but had no knowledge of the dual rear output conversion.

Here is what they say...
        First, the Basics: The Doubler is an all gear, dual transfer case system uniquely suited to full size trucks or other heavy duty, high output/abusive applications because of the durability of its components (all massive helical gears and large input/output shafts). Basically, the Doubler consists of the gearbox section from an NP203 transfer case coupled to a complete 205 transfer case. This gives you an additional low range gear of 2:1 plus your existing NP205 low gear of 2:1 for an overall low gear of 4:1.

Adding lower transfer case gearing gives you huge improvements in off road control and torque without affecting your highway gear ratios (4.10's with 37-38" tires can work well). Adding a gearbox also allows you to run in your normal 2:1 reduction or in super low 4:1 reduction for best performance in any situation. We use a combination of bulletproof and easy to find factory parts with a minimum number of modified components to give you easy bolt together gearing options. Our baseline kit is just the parts to adapt YOUR 203 to YOUR 205, we can also ship complete 203 and 205 units if you like.

ORD have good info here.
        http://www.offroaddesign.com/catalog/doubler.htm

The Van is way crazy cool, and I could not say no to it.
        Glad you agree.
        The basic plan for it was a "Go anywhere back country camper".
        I want to be able to get on and off a beach in Baja, or get up into the moutains in Death Valley, but with the girlfriend now, she wants some basic comforts, and I need to still get places.
        It has a 5kw genset in the tail already which with the rooftop AC works good.
        The plan aside from all 6 wheels being driven would include 35"s a new interior, as well as a a 6BT Cummins.

I looked at your suggestions for stuffing the TC between the axles and turning one around, but I dont think there is space witth to combined nose length of the D70's. Maybe I could use Ford 9" axles as the noses are shorter.

As I said, lets get back to your thread, and not hijack!
        Any more info on what I need to find would be great!

You can find more stuff on my hope to get all 6 wheels driven here...
        http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...0426&highlight=

And all about the whole project here...
        http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...-Dodge-Van-6x4!

Comment

Reading your thread again, and spotted you can disconnect one of the rear outputs.. thats awesome!

Anyone got or know of a NP201... or just the parts I need for a reasonable price?

Comment

This is a great thread. I would love to know how the case has done over the past 7 years.
            Greg Coffin
            Unrepentant Dodge Enthusiast

1951 Dodge M37 - Bone Stock
            1958 Dodge M37 - Ex-Forest Service Brush Truck
            1962 M37-B1 - Work in Progress
            1962 Dodge WM300 Power Wagon - Factory 251, 4.89s
            1944/1957 Dodge WM500T 6x6 Power Wagon - LA318-3, NP435, 5.83s, Power Steering, Undercab Power Brakes
            1974 Dodge W200 - 360/727, Factory Sno-Fighter Package

Comment

I am also needing more information on this if possible, has anyone else done this? if so can we get into the details of how and long term wear and use?
              1967 W200.aka.Hank
              1946 WDX.aka.Shorty
              2012 Ram 2500 PowerWagon.aka Ollie

Life is easier in a lower gear.

Comment

Working...
              X