Tools and condensation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tools and condensation

How do you keep your tools from rusting in an unheated shop? Hand tools and any other tools.

Discuss.....
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Have you noticed how some rust and others don't? It is kinda funny how that happens. My tools are in a shed without heat and I notice that things like saw blades rust quick and wrenches not so much. I have tools stored on the Dodge and my Mack and I keep them coated with WD40. If they get surface rust then I clean up with steel wool or a rust remover. Deeper rust will get the jelly or a pass on the bench grinder with a wire wheel. The nice (expensive) full polish chrome tools often laugh at rust. To sum it up get them a blast of WD40 whenever you see the start of rust.

Comment

If your hand tools rust, either you are not using them enough, or you are too clean when you use them (your hands are not greasy). :-)
      I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
      Will
      WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
      1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
      1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
      1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
      2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

Tools from rusting

Your best bet is to move to new Mexico. No rust here. Dry air. Old cars not rusty either.
        I use boe shield on my table saw,planer etc.
        It would work good on hand tools as well. It was developed for this purpose by Boeing.

Comment

We have real dry air here as well, but I have to heat the shop anyhow. It was -30F the other day...

Comment

Gordon
            Spray WD 40 on them for now until you can get to them.
            Will attract dust but that's better than rust.
            Otherwise heat the area.
            TGP
            WDX & Misc. Pics.
            http://www.t137.com/cpg/index.php?cat=10010
            "47" Dodge WDX WW
            "52" Dodge M-37 WW
            "54" Willys M38A1
            "65" Kaiser M35A1 WW
            "77" Chev. K-30 400T,205,4.56 "No-Spin"
            "84" Chev, K-30 Cummins 6-BTA 400,205,3.73Locker
            "86" Chev, M1028A2 (K30) 6.2,400.205,4.56 Locker
            "99" Dodge Durango "Limited Slip"
            "99" Dodge 3500 CTD 4x4"No-Spin"

Comment

I always took them in the house in the spring when the garage started to warm up. Only took a few days or so.

Explains why I have so many tool boxes.

Comment

I have not had good luck using WD-40 that way. I once carefully cleaned a good sized lathe and then sprayed it with WD-40. The next day it was covered with an orange haze of surface rust. Everywhere.

Comment

I put a light coat of chassis grease on my bench vice, hammer heads, garden tools, and other such things that are prone to rust. I also keep my rarely used tools in wooden boxes with lids. I don't know the science behind it, but the tools that rust in metal boxes stay nice in wooden boxes.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Mienke View Post
                    I put a light coat of chassis grease on my bench vice, hammer heads, garden tools, and other such things that are prone to rust. I also keep my rarely used tools in wooden boxes with lids. I don't know the science behind it, but the tools that rust in metal boxes stay nice in wooden boxes.
                    The wooden box offers better insulation, so it prevents rapid/wild temperature changes.

Comment

Building a wooden rolling chest to replace a metal one would be a worthwhile endeavor I think...the obvious disadvantage being the weight of it.

Comment

Imagine the beauty of it.

Comment

Vaseline works too, easier to clean up than grease.

Baby oil may be better than both.

Bucky

Comment

Working...
                          X