Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Window Motors -what are common?

So,
    In the WC53, I was looking into doing power windows for the back 4 windows since I can't reach those from the driver's seat. Was going to just put the controls up front and then maybe even leave the actual crank system in place for a manual override... if thats a plausible option. I have all the factory cranks and was thinking of a way to try and adapt a drive motor, cut my own gear, etc. For operating the windows. I was actually going to look into the motors that the Jeep JKs use on the 4 door units because the doors are super thin similarly to my window boxes on the Carryall.

This is my brainstorming phase as I am pricing out my controller that I can add to my CAN Bus system. Laying out my wiring system and trying to think ahead / pre-wire.
    1942 WC53 Carryall in progress.

This should be interesting...particularly an over-ride system!

cd
    1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
    1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
    2001 Dodge 2500 (Dish...formerly Maney's Mopar)
    1978 Suzuki GS1000EC (fulfills the need...the need for speed)
    1954 Ford 860 tractor
    1966 Chrysler LS 16 sailboat (as yet un-named)
    UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FITS

Comment

I've seen units online that are supposed to go over the stock window crank shaft and are basically a worm drive attached to a flexible shaft that connects to the motor. Not sure how well they work as they don't look the strongest, but the design is interesting. Biggest problem would be that you can't really "override" a worm gear drive manually, so not sure you're supposed to leave the stock handle.

A lot of the aftermarket units are pretty thin from what I've seen, but I'm not real familiar with the space limitations you have, and they're designed to replace the lower window rails so install is more involved.

Comment

Originally posted by Desoto61 View Post
        Biggest problem would be that you can't really "override" a worm gear drive manually, so not sure you're supposed to leave the stock handle.
        I was just thinking I could put the handle on a slip to where it is not engaged unless you pull it out or press it in or something to make it work and when you move the handle in or out it would slide the drive motor key out of place. Ie a shift collar between the two drive mechanisms that engages one while disengaging the other, vice versa. And since I'd hope to use the factory regulator gears the window won't drop during the driven mechanism change.

Again, this is spit-balling. Actual work and feasibility of project will be determined.
        1942 WC53 Carryall in progress.

Comment

I think I'd convert to electric and use the aftermarket hot-rod adapter switches like I used for my windshield opener for control. It will keep the factory look but make control and design far simpler.

Comment

Working...
          X