1953 FFPW Engine swap ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1953 FFPW Engine swap ideas

I am considering different engine options for my 53 Power wagon and one that I really like is using a late model Dodge 5.9 v-8 gas engine. I am thinking of swapping in the complete powertrain from a late 90's Dodge 3/4 or 1 ton truck. Would like to use the axles from the same truck to match the transfer case drop and also have the more modern brakes that they have. I would also use the 5 speed transmission from the donor.
    My question is is there sufficient firewall clearance with this engine or would swapping the body onto the late model frame make more sense? Thoughts?

I tend to believe in those instances the body swap makes more sense. While the amount of fabrication might not be drastically different, you are fabricating the easier stuff.

All of the complexities of suspension design, drivetrain alignment, and steering geometries are already done on the doner truck and designed as a complete system to do modern speeds on modern roads.

There's still a ton of work in figuring out how to mount all the old sheet metal to the new frame, make it look and fit well, and graft the new systems to the old sheetmetal (radiator, steering, etc), and it won't look as stock as with the original frame, but honestly once you decide to swap axles you've basically lost most of that look anyway.

Plus there is a ton of time in the little things you don't think about that is gone with keeping the doner frame. All the fuel system and brake plumbing is essentially done and already matched to the engine and running gear, much of the wiring will stay in place, and all those little clips and widgets that make everything clean and neat are done. Even if you have to shorten or lengthen the frame modifying the existing lines and wiring is simpler and easier than building all new.

On top of all that almost everything mechanical you would ever need to replace or want to upgrade will be much more readily available from any local parts place or aftermarket supplier now or in the future.

Comment

Working...
    X