No announcement yet.

Engines & possible modifications — a poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am installing a 318 LA in my 6x6 Power Wagon project. The original T223 engine was long gone, and the replacement 230 Plymouth engine had a rod knock in it, so out it came. A 4BT was too expensive to justify for the little driving I will do in the truck, so I opted for the 318. I pulled the engine from a 1971 Dodge D500. It came with the small cast iron water pump, hydraulic bellhousing, 12" clutch, NP435 transmission, and wishbone front engine mount. I fabbed rear motor mounts similar to the Helitool mounts, and the engine is currently in the 6x6 chassis. The 318 will have plenty of power to get around town and up the canyons. We plan to do a lot of off-road work with this truck, so I kept the 5.83 gears.

My 1962 still has the original 251 engine in it, and I plan to keep it that way. It was my first Power Wagon, and 27 years ago it made sense to rebuild the original engine. At the time there was very little information available about engine mods for these trucks, though others had done it. I didn't have that skill set at the time.
    Greg Coffin
    Unrepentant Dodge Enthusiast

1951 Dodge M37 - Bone Stock
    1958 Dodge M37 - Ex-Forest Service Brush Truck
    1962 M37-B1 - Work in Progress
    1962 Dodge WM300 Power Wagon - Factory 251, 4.89s
    1944/1957 Dodge WM500T 6x6 Power Wagon - LA318-3, NP435, 5.83s, Power Steering, Undercab Power Brakes
    1974 Dodge W200 - 360/727, Factory Sno-Fighter Package

Comment

Greg,

Sounds nice, any pictures of the 318 in the 6x6?
      I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
      Will
      WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
      1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
      1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
      1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
      2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

Here's a few pictures of the 6x6 project. This was taken last year, when we dry fit the engine in the chassis. I like the wishbone front engine mount. The three points of support let the frame twist without straining the engine mounts.

I'm going to use the original pedals, so I made a mount for the clutch master cylinder that keeps it parallel to the frame. The top-hung pedals are nice, but I like the look of the original pedals. It took a little time to figure out the mount, but I think it's going to work well. I'm also going to install a dual brake master cylinder under the floor, something based on the 1967-68 WM300 setup. I need to modify the brake pedal clevis ar, and build a mount for the master cylinder. I'm keeping the drum brakes for now, since I still have 5.83s in the axles.

Here's a picture from last weekend, checking the cab fit and measuring for the bed. The cab is off now, getting pulled apart and ready for repairs. Hopefully it will be back on (permanently) in a couple months.

Greg Coffin
        Unrepentant Dodge Enthusiast

1951 Dodge M37 - Bone Stock
        1958 Dodge M37 - Ex-Forest Service Brush Truck
        1962 M37-B1 - Work in Progress
        1962 Dodge WM300 Power Wagon - Factory 251, 4.89s
        1944/1957 Dodge WM500T 6x6 Power Wagon - LA318-3, NP435, 5.83s, Power Steering, Undercab Power Brakes
        1974 Dodge W200 - 360/727, Factory Sno-Fighter Package

Comment

That 6x6 looks very nice

I picked up a 42 wc53 carryall a few years ago. No motor, only frame, axles, t-case, and some very rough body sheetmetal. I searched a bit and found a 1997 Dodge 2500 4x4 for a parts truck. The 5.9 mechanically injected turbo diesel is now installed in the carryall, connected to a G56 six-speed and an np273 t-case. The conversion process as well as the extensive body repair are still ongoing but nearing completion.

I appreciate the debate between original restorations and custom modifications. I was looking for a platform to create a reliable 4x4 truck able to go almost anywhere and have no (minimal) electronics. Once I saw the picture ad for this Carryall that was it. I had to have one and make it into my own.
          The Dodge, in any incarnation, is an incredible and formidable vehicle.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Mills View Post
            I voted for modifications to the Flat head 6 in a WDX... and I had all the basic parts and modification is easier than a transplant at my skill level, usually cheaper too.

That being said, I am in the process of putting a '76 D200 slant 6 in what was an engineless M37.

It is my hope that the slant 6 will combine the flathead's low end grunt, with solid midrange ability and the potential of returning almost acceptable fuel economy (for a 3 ton truck, with 5.83's) hopefully better than the flathead can ever do... if that turns out and the slant 6-M37 becomes the go-to truck because of engine performance, the I may consider putting a slant 6 in my WDX... ether way, once the slant 6 is operational, I look forward to comparing the differences between both 6's.

Jason - did you complete this? If so can you give us some details?

Comment

It is coming along slowly. Thanks for asking. I have been stumped by how to connect the the NP445 transmission to the NP200 transfer case..I think I have that solved, at least in theory.

That has been the biggest hold up, and confidence drain. I was getting to the point of considering a easier transmission use... but if it will work, syncro's and a useable first gear would be really nice. I'll report back when it is in service if you would like. My intention is to have it as a snow plow by next winter..

Comment

Jason - Thanks for the update! Please do keep us posted. I have yet to see a slant 6 in a M37! Looked all over heard folks mention it - but never seen one done. So I was excited to read you are working on one!!!

I will be installing a slant 6 in my M37 too. It took me a year to figure out the engine/transmission combo that in my situation makes the most sense.

The goal for "Sarge" is that I want to keep the the drive train as stock as possible while improving drivability. I really enjoy how smooth the truck is off road.

So to get some highway speed I will use an A833 overdrive transmission from a 84' D100. What this will do is allow me to leave the origonal gears in the diffs and still have some legs with the OD & the RPM range of the engine.

In order to do this I am going to maintain the divorced transfer case by creating a new out put end case for the A833 and possibly using the output flange off of the origonal transmission. I will be modifying the output end of the A833 main shaft too.

So in theory it will basically be an engine/tranny swap.

Comment

Originally posted by old red View Post
                  Jason - Thanks for the update! Please do keep us posted. I have yet to see a slant 6 in a M37! Looked all over heard folks mention it - but never seen one done. So I was excited to read you are working on one!!!

I will be installing a slant 6 in my M37 too. It took me a year to figure out the engine/transmission combo that in my situation makes the most sense.

The goal for "Sarge" is that I want to keep the the drive train as stock as possible while improving drivability. I really enjoy how smooth the truck is off road.

So to get some highway speed I will use an A833 overdrive transmission from a 84' D100. What this will do is allow me to leave the origonal gears in the diffs and still have some legs with the OD & the RPM range of the engine.

In order to do this I am going to maintain the divorced transfer case by creating a new out put end case for the A833 and possibly using the output flange off of the origonal transmission. I will be modifying the output end of the A833 main shaft too.

So in theory it will basically be an engine/tranny swap.
                  A very creative solution. I like that idea, and hope we are both rewarded for our efforts in meeting goals with slightly unconventional means.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Mills View Post
                    A very creative solution. I like that idea, and hope we are both rewarded for our efforts in meeting goals with slightly unconventional means.
                    Thanks! It's good ju-ju to be putting slant 6's in these creatures! If I may ask what is your plan?

Comment

Originally posted by old red View Post
                      Thanks! It's good ju-ju to be putting slant 6's in these creatures! If I may ask what is your plan?
                      It is to be a snow plow/firewood truck for personal use.

Comment

Working...
                      X