Engines & possible modifications — a poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engines & possible modifications — a poll

We all have fun kicking around fantasies, but what do you believe you will actually do when you move forward? ....or what have you already done?
    Leave engine completely stock
    24.62%
    Make improvements/mods to the stock engine
    15.38%
    Repower with Chrysler slant six
    4.62%
    Repower with Chrysler small block V8 [318/360]
    20.00%
    Repower with Chrysler big block V8
    3.08%
    Repower with other brand V8
    4.62%
    Repower with Cummins 4-cylinder
    21.54%
    Repower with other diesel
    6.15%
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Can't vote more than once, but here is my votes:
    Leave engine completely stock Make improvements/mods to the stock engine
    Repower with Chrysler small block V8 [318/360]
    I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
    Will
    WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
    1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
    1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
    1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
    2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

Which is your favorite truck?

Comment

That's a hard question to answer. The '49PW was my first, and is the stock truck, the '53M was my re-power and off-road ride, while the '46PW was the rebuild everything except the engine (will re-power some day). It would all depend on my desired plans for the moment. Right now I'd go with the '46, but that's only because the M needs some repairs, then it would be a toss up again. Now when I restore the '49, well all bets are off.

Thanks,
        Will
        WAWII.com

Comment

I wish we would see some folks use some slant sixes.

Comment

The Leaning Tower of Power is a great engine, but I'd only go that route for one of my trucks if I had it laying around. Now if I was looking to build a commuter with good performance and great mileage, I'd be on one fast.

Thanks,
            Will
            WAWII.com

Comment

Well I put what I've done, we'll see if it's what I would do again. And bang-for-buck the V8 conversion is probably the best one to do, the Cummins is all about character.

Seriously though it depends on what you have the truck for. I'm re-powering because in an urban environment the flat 6 just can't live hapily and be used on a regular basis. Plus mine was all sorts of not original.

If I had a nice example that was not badly molested and could leave it as a garage king, or lived someplace more rural I would definitly argue more for keeping the 6. They are really neat engines compared to anything OHV.

Comment

Repower

Originally posted by Desoto61 View Post
                Well I put what I've done, we'll see if it's what I would do again. And bang-for-buck the V8 conversion is probably the best one to do, the Cummins is all about character.

Seriously though it depends on what you have the truck for. I'm re-powering because in an urban environment the flat 6 just can't live hapily and be used on a regular basis. Plus mine was all sorts of not original.

If I had a nice example that was not badly molested and could leave it as a garage king, or lived someplace more rural I would definitly argue more for keeping the 6. They are really neat engines compared to anything OHV.
                I just delivered my 66 WM300 to Dan M. for a repower and complete overhaul as required to make the truck live in the modern age, I wanted a truck that is dependable with attitude and one my wife could drive (if I let her). I know someone will pipe up and say why, here are four reasons;

1. 251 flathead engine, gear combination is inadequate on modern roads with speed limits above 55-mph.

2. Braking system is inadequate for modern driving.

3. Noise level in cab was / is unbearable, you needed ear plugs at speeds over 15-mph.

4. Its my truck and I can do whatever I want to and, most of all I did not want a trailer queen.

Comment

It is interesting to consider that there are far more gas V8 conversions out there than there are Cummins 4 conversions.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
                    It is interesting to consider that there are far more gas V8 conversions out there than there are Cummins 4 conversions.
                    I have to imagine it's an easier conversion, but the big one is the price difference. I got a great deal on the engine I'm using, but in practice it seems that a decent used 4BT will run between $2-4K. Charles would know best but the newer ISB engines are probably closer to $12-14 new.

For the price of a used 4BT you can rebuild a pretty stout V8 and for maybe half the price of a new ISB you can buy just about any crate engine you would want to use.

Transmission/transfer case options are more plentiful and easier to adapt, and parts more readily available, cheaper, and just about anyone can work on them. The NVH is probably better too unless you use a very loud exhaust.

Plus all the pics I've seen of V8 conversions seem to fit nicer, the 4BT may be smaller in displacement than most V8 conversions but it's not a small engine, and it's tall.

And as legendary as the longevity of a Cummins is, 100-150k miles is easy from any decently built and maintained V8, and it would take most people a long time to put that on any Power Wagon.

That said, the diesel just seems to fit the attitude of the truck, the mileage can be better, and like the original engine all of that low end torque should work better if you are keeping more of the original drivetrain. Plus a 4BT might actually be simpler than the stock engine since it can be setup to run with just two wires and a ground strap.

Comment

What is NVH?

What are the two wires?

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
                        What is NVH?

What are the two wires?
                        NVH is Noise, Vibration, and Harshness. It's kind of the catchall term for the "feel" of a vehicle. Naturally much more time and effort is put into reducing NVH on a Mercedes than a base Chevy, but it's one of the big reasons that you pay more for one vice the other, and always been one of the reasons diesels have been less popular in passenger cars: louder, more vibration, and not as "smooth".

The battery cable to the starter and the solenoid wire from the ignition switch. That assumes you converted the fuel shutoff to a mechanical setup. The normal 4BT/automotive setup is for the shutoff to be on a solenoid so you get three more wires to pull-up/hold/ground the solenoid to let the motor run from the key like a car, but you could just put it on a push/pull cable and do it manually, which would be a great theft deterrent, kind of like having a kill switch on the coil wire.

Comment

It looks like I am the only big block voter. All I had were 440 engines, so that is what I installed. 440 six pack with a NP 435 trans.

Frank
                          Last edited by Frank Irons; 08-01-2017, 07:10 PM.

Comment

I badly want to build a FFPW with a 5.7 Hemi 2005 or Newer with all the bells and whistles. Keeping the exterior and appearance as Factory as possible. Candy Apple Red with flat black Fenders. That would be my dream truck...
                            1967 W200.aka.Hank
                            1946 WDX.aka.Shorty
                            2012 Ram 2500 PowerWagon.aka Ollie

Life is easier in a lower gear.

Comment

my plan right now is to put a Ford/International 6.9l or 7.3l IDI. The v8 should be fairly smooth and relatively quiet with a good exhaust system. I was tempted to put a 318/360 in it, and still might but it will depend on which I can find a good deal on first. I like the idea of the v8 diesel since the big six wont fit.

Comment

Working...
                              X