My Saga

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Saga

I was raised in a predominantly GM family. My Dad has 2 Model A's but stands by his statement that "Ford went to s#%t after the war." We have a lot of rigs (almost all my Dad's). A '70 Charger R/T was the Mopar that got me thinkin... Way back in the '80's when my Dad's cousin fired it up. When I heard that 383 roar to life the gears in my head started turning.

Then when I was stationed at Ft Campbell KY, I bought an '89 1/2 Ton. I really liked that truck. Then I got into diesel, and I bought my '96 Cummins. Still own it. Still LOVE it. License plate says "96 WDX"

In the '80's my Dad got his '41 Ambulance and as a young kid, I thought that was awesome. A friend and I used to sleep in it when we would go to our cabin. I don't know exactly when I layed eyes on my first Civillian Power Wagon pickup, but those are my favorite. I think its the box.

In 2003, I had a chance (a few hours) to buy that '70 Charger R/T for $4000.
    I decided to sell my Cummins and buy it, but it was already sold. I still get a little nauseous thinking about it.

I was given a '70 W200, but had title troubles and ended up giving it to a friend. It is now his daily driver.

I bought a '72 Duster project car, but my heart wasn't into it. It is for sale. Cheap. I'm over the muscle cars. I still like them, but I don't NEED to own one.

I have loved the Power Wagons for over 20 years now, and this summer I finally got one. I found one on Craigslist in Idaho and in a matter of weeks, it became mine. It is a '48. Its rough. It has a flatbed, not a box. But it is mine and I love it!!! I don't think it is far from running, I can't wait.

I made it to the big Rally in Iowa in 2009. I had a great time and I am trying to get my old man to go out for the 25th this next summer. We will see.

I do not know a lot about Power Wagons, but I am very thankful to all the great people on this site for sharing their knowledge. Maybe one day I can ANSWER some questions... rather than just ask them.

My goal is to be the Clint Dixon of Montana. :)

Thanks everybody... I'm happy to be here.

Munsk.

Originally posted by Josh View Post
    I was raised in a predominantly GM family. My Dad has 2 Model A's but stands by his statement that "Ford went to s#%t after the war." We have a lot of rigs (almost all my Dad's). A '70 Charger R/T was the Mopar that got me thinkin... Way back in the '80's when my Dad's cousin fired it up. When I heard that 383 roar to life the gears in my head started turning.

Then when I was stationed at Ft Campbell KY, I bought an '89 1/2 Ton. I really liked that truck. Then I got into diesel, and I bought my '96 Cummins. Still own it. Still LOVE it. License plate says "96 WDX"

In the '80's my Dad got his '41 Ambulance and as a young kid, I thought that was awesome. A friend and I used to sleep in it when we would go to our cabin. I don't know exactly when I layed eyes on my first Civillian Power Wagon pickup, but those are my favorite. I think its the box.

In 2003, I had a chance (a few hours) to buy that '70 Charger R/T for $4000.
    I decided to sell my Cummins and buy it, but it was already sold. I still get a little nauseous thinking about it.

I was given a '70 W200, but had title troubles and ended up giving it to a friend. It is now his daily driver.

I bought a '72 Duster project car, but my heart wasn't into it. It is for sale. Cheap. I'm over the muscle cars. I still like them, but I don't NEED to own one.

I have loved the Power Wagons for over 20 years now, and this summer I finally got one. I found one on Craigslist in Idaho and in a matter of weeks, it became mine. It is a '48. Its rough. It has a flatbed, not a box. But it is mine and I love it!!! I don't think it is far from running, I can't wait.

I made it to the big Rally in Iowa in 2009. I had a great time and I am trying to get my old man to go out for the 25th this next summer. We will see.

I do not know a lot about Power Wagons, but I am very thankful to all the great people on this site for sharing their knowledge. Maybe one day I can ANSWER some questions... rather than just ask them.

My goal is to be the Clint Dixon of Montana. :)

Thanks everybody... I'm happy to be here.

Munsk.
    The license plate saying 96 WDX tells us of your connection. Welcome home. Come next year and bring your father. It will be a great time. ...and if you can't get him to come, you be sure to come.

Clint Dixon will be honored.
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
      The license plate saying 96 WDX tells us of your connection. Welcome home. Come next year and bring your father. It will be a great time. ...and if you can't get him to come, you be sure to come.

Clint Dixon will be honored.
      Josh, I don't know what to say. I am certainly am honored, and humbled. Great story.

There were a few established collectors of Power-Wagons around when I got started 30 years ago. I looked up to them, tried to learn as much as I could from them, and did my best to follow their examples. I still do to this day, and I try to return the favor by helping those who continue to join us. I still feel that I am an apprentice serving under those guys, one in particular, and hope that I may someday graduate to a "journeyman Power-Wagon owner." His name - Gordon Maney.

Comment

Thanks so much Clint.
        I remember speaking with you briefly at the Rally, you had both of your PWs there and I thought that was great. I didn't really know who you were or how much you knew at the time, just that you had two fine specimines there. I have learned much since then. I also happened to pick up a copy of Vintage Truck last week, I look for articles on PWs and if there is anything, I buy it. I really liked the article on your trucks.

I also got an invite to go on a ride from a guy that is from Chicago. I rode in the back with him and the land owner drove his truck. That was one of the best parts... invited to be a part of it rather than just a guy off the street. I do not recall the gentleman's name, just that he was a carpenter from Chi, I think he worked at a University in Chi. I remember he had made some nice side boards / seats for his red PW, a '53 I think. (at the '09 Rally).

Anyways, I plan on attending if I can. I would like to bring my Dad's '51 B-3 if we can work that out. Seems like more fun the more involved you get.

(When Dave lines everybody up arround the square, that is quite a site also!)

Thanks for reading my post...

Again, I am Happy to be here.

Munsk.

Comment

Carpenter, red Power Wagon, seats and side boards, Chicago - That would be John Torpy.

I think everyone that has ever attended a VPW Rally has enjoyed a ride in the back of John's truck - at least once. He is one great guy and always quick with an offer of a ride.

But I hear what you are saying. The Rallies are just that kind of event. No one should go away feeling left out. Hope to see you again at "Rally25"!

Comment

Working...
          X