engine swap 97 to 73

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• engine swap 97 to 73

I have got a hlod of a tolded out 97 1500 dodge 4x4 with 5.9 magnum and I am going to put the engine and trans in my 73 dodge 4x4. My question is will my 208 (out of and 82 dodge RAM) have the same bolt pattern as the 231 that is on the tranny of the 97. The problem is the 97 has left side drop transfer case and my 73 is a right hand drop. If anyone has any tips or ideas please let me know Thanks

While I believe the 208 should bolt right up, I am sure someone with some more knowledge about them will chime in here pretty soon.
    Are you going to keep the 5.9 fuel injected or are you going to convert it to carb? The 94+ engines are Magnum engines vs the LA style that is probably in your truck now (if its a small block). The heads are different, which means the intake manifolds are completely different from each other.
    I swapped a fuel injected 5.2 into my 90 Wrangler and it is running great. If you want some info/help as far as getting the wiring together to make it fuel injected let me know and I will see what I can come up with. While not as simple as carburetion, fuel injection is such a nice thing to have.

Comment

The 97's are a great find for the swap. Pull the entire wiring harness, and use it's fuel injection. One of the M37 guys did this for his M, and it runs great. He's not on line much, but can be contacted by phone if needed. He's in the St. Louis area.
      I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
      Will
      WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
      1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
      1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
      1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
      2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

Thanks for the input. I am going to keep the injection. I will be bugging again when I get ready to drop it in right now I am taking the 97 apart. Thanks again

Comment

engine swap

Originally posted by MoparFreak69 View Post
          While I believe the 208 should bolt right up, I am sure someone with some more knowledge about them will chime in here pretty soon.
          Are you going to keep the 5.9 fuel injected or are you going to convert it to carb? The 94+ engines are Magnum engines vs the LA style that is probably in your truck now (if its a small block). The heads are different, which means the intake manifolds are completely different from each other.
          I swapped a fuel injected 5.2 into my 90 Wrangler and it is running great. If you want some info/help as far as getting the wiring together to make it fuel injected let me know and I will see what I can come up with. While not as simple as carburetion, fuel injection is such a nice thing to have.
          Thanks for the input. I will be keeping the injection. I am taking the 97 apart right now so it will be a bit before I get ready to put it in the 73 but I will be bugging u again for sure I am not to sure how everything work on this site but I hope u got this THANKS again

Comment

No problem. It really is quite easy, but some people can be overwhelmed by the sheer number of wires in the harness. Its pretty much self contained, about all you have to do is provide the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) with a constant power source, a keyed power source, ground, and then wire the fuel pump relay output to power the fuel pump and the Auto Shut Down relay which basically provides the power to all the sensors in the system. Before I put mine into my Jeep people said you cannot do that, put an OBD-II MPFI system into a different vehicle.

Comment

I was wondering what to do with th O2 sensors? Do I have to run them and do I have to run the cat. Too I really didn't want too but will it make a difference if they are not hooked. The other problem is the vss I can't run it and my speedometer cable at the same time. I planned on using the steering column set up to use cruise control but will it work with out the vss? What to what to do?

Comment

You have to wire the front O2 sensor or else it will get poor fuel mileage as it will not be able to monitor fuel ratio. A cat and the second O2 sensor are not required, however I like to offer this info. A good quality, high flow cat will not restrict the exhaust flow one bit. What the cat will do is clean up your exhaust emissions which is better for everybody in the long run. Its really your choice on the matter, I prefer to just run a cat because of the job they do.
                The job of the rear O2 sensor is to monitor the cat's output and make sure it is functioning as it should. It also helps to fine tune fuel ratio a bit in case the front O2 sensor is reading a bit off.

For the VSS, You need it for the engine to run properly when hooked up to use the stock PCM. There are a couple options you can go with.
                First is to ditch the stock speedo and throw an electronic one in its place. Doing this will allow you to use the stock cruise control features as nothing will have changed from the donor truck.
                Another option is to find a rear axle housing out of a slightly later truck that has the VSS there. My 2000 had it in the differential instead of the transfer case. Its a bit more spendy but this will allow you to use the transfer case speedo output with a cable and then wire the PCM to the sensor in the rear axle. This too will allow you to use the stock cruise system the same as if it were in the original truck.
                You can also try to get a VSS that has a speedo cable through configuration, but as far as I am aware they are only available in a 2 wire setup. The PCM does not like the 2 wire signal, it wants the 3 wire VSS signal to work properly.
                Options 1 and 2 are your best bets.

Comment

Thanks a lot that answered my question perfectly.
                  I will run a cat just not the same one it will hit on the frame where it is located. I see auto meter makes an electrical speedo and that will take care of the problems for now anyways

Comment

On the 2nd O2 Sensor, On a 99 Dodge that the PO had removed the CAT, after a while, the engine would go into a limp mode, until you reset it because of thinking the CAT was bad. The fix was either get a new CAT, or install an O2 Simulator. On that truck, I went with the O2 simulator, and it's still running great.

Thanks,
                    Will
                    WAWII.com

Comment

Thanks for the info I will check that out

Comment

I got around to getting the motor and trans out of my 73 dodge and found out the 208 in it has a snout with a seal and the 231 doesnt.
                        I was wondering if anybody knows what transfer case will fit on the 97 tranny and have a right handed drop? Thanks

Comment

I finally got the motor in my truck got it all center up and realized that the old motor was not centered they are an inch off to the right side of the truck. My problem is with the drive line off center will I have a ujoint problem or vibration?

Comment

The off center was likely to allow front differential clearance, make sure you have enough.

Thanks,
                            Will
                            WAWII.com

Comment

Run 2!

old ish thread... i would run the stock 231 bolted to the tranny, followed by the original divorced 205 that came in the '73. then you get more gear choices :)= Cant go wrong there. you will have to fab longer linkage, but then you will have the deepest gear reduction in town!

Comment

Working...
                              X