Dual rear output NP205

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

transfer

Brifght Ranch, I was wonndering how the transfer case is working. I need to do what you are doing. I have a 6x6 that has no transfer and I have a complete transfer out of an M37 and a partial one. Both are the NP200. I have access to a np205 and was wondering if this would work. Do you have any steps you did when you put the two together??

My truck is a 6x6 with a 48 ffpw cab.

Comment

I haven't gotten to drive it much just back and forth to the bus stop to get the kids. Got maybe a hundred miles on it. Haven't had any troubles so far everything is doing exactly what it is supposed too.

No big trick to it just pull the lower shaft out of the 201 make sure to keep track of the needle bearings. And the shift rod and fork. Clean it up and pop it in the 205. I think it took about an hour to do. The shift linkage takes a little head scratching but I made a adapter out of a piece of 3/16 plate to be able to hook the 58 levers to the 93 shift rod. I can take some more pics if you want me to.

On the 205 to get the shift rod out there are two tiny freeze plugs on the top of the case you have to drive them into the case with a punch and then drive a roll pin out of the shift fork/Rod to remove it.

Reinstall it in the reverse order, drive the pin in then put the plug back in the hole. Having a helper with little hands sure helps to get the pin started.
      Last edited by Gordon Maney; 04-21-2010, 11:35 PM.

Comment

Thanks

Hey thanks,
        I would really like to have pictures. Did you put a 6BT in your truck? How did you deal with the length of that bad boy? I am contemplating a 4BT with a NV4500, but cost may be prohibitive. Wifey said don't go crazy !! Ideally I would like to have a transfer that would disengage one of the rear out put shafts on the 6X6, an y thoughts on this?

Thanks

Comment

I will have to play with it a bit more. I have to change out the seals now that I know it works, And I will mess with it a bit more, the upper rear output can be disengaged by putting the hi/lo lever in neutral, the only one that cant be disengaged is the lower rear it is in all the time. and if memory serves, it stays in Hi range when the Hi/Lo lever is put in the neutral position. But you can put it in Lo range by moving the lever back to the Lo position.

Yeah I got a 6BT in there, But it was a lot of head scratching, You have to move the firewall back 7 inches and modify the floor pan accordingly. The bigger issue is the width at the front, To make the radiator and inter cooler fit you have to widen the front approx. 6 inches. Now if money were no object you probably can have custom ones made.

You also have to move everything else back too of course, and the easiest thing was to keep the married transfer case and the auto trans. the 93 is the simplest because you can run the overdrive and intake heater with a pair of toggle switches. And you can throw the ECM away, which simplifies things a lot. The weight of the cummins is way more than the original. I had to put airbags on the front to counter act it. The main reason I went the way I did was that I happened to have a wrecked 93 dodge that ran great.

If I was starting from scratch I would do the 4bt. But have to admit when you are pulling a gooseneck with 4 horses and turn into the truck stop for fuel, it is sure fun watching heads turn.
          Last edited by Gordon Maney; 04-21-2010, 11:37 PM.

Comment

shift

Bright,
            Can you send to me what you actually did and what you might think I will need to do to make one output shaft a neutral. I have a NP 200 and a married NP205. A few pics of how you put the thing together would outstanding!! You can PM me or send it to my email if you like.

Comment

Yeah, I can walk you through it. Don't let it buffalo you.

It's way easy no big tricks at all.

Start out by removing both lower shafts and keep track of the needle bearings then remove the shift rods and shift forks, you will need to use the fork & rod from the 201 in the 205 because the collar is smaller.

The 201 collar is held to the shaft with a set screw that has a piece of wire through it and it is then wrapped around the shift rod to keep the screw from backing out. Dont cut the wire like I did because it is a pain finding the same size to put back, it may look like bailing wire but it is smaller.

reassembly is no big deal use some grease to hold the needle bearings in when you put the two halves of the shaft back together.

you will need to fab a different connector for the Hi/Lo shift rod to be able to use the power wagon shifter but thats no big deal I used a piece of 3/16 and drilled a couple holes I can take a pic, But its nothing special.

One question which case is ultimately going to be in the power wagon the 201 or the 205? I dont think it will matter, but better safe than sorry. I have a trashed 201 and 205 so I had the advantage of playing with throw away parts on the bench before I tore into the "good" case's let me know and I will drag the Junk stuff back out and play with it to make sure we are going to be ok.

I attached a couple of pics about the swap, you asked about the length of the 6bt. one shows the firewall mod the other shows the engine in the truck, the last is the width problem at the front I told you about. Dad had a 440 in it and I am not sure I shouldn't just have rebuilt that. But the MPG would have seriously sucked.
              Attached Files

Comment

Wow

Wow

Comment

wow

WOW BR that is a heck of a shoe horn job !! It will be really nice when you finish !! I am going to try and use a NP205, I have heard that the 200 likes to get hot if you run it at highway speed. I do not know if this is so or not. I am looking to find a NV4500 or a Ford ZF five speed, wife said to save my money. With the 6bta did you have any pan clearance problems.

I have read that if you use the ZF you can move the engine to the drivers side more to help have clearence over the front pumpkin. On the ZF the starter is on the passenger side allowing it to move over, where as the NV4500 the starter is on the drivers side. I hope I am not harassing you but my motto is why reinvent the wheel when it has allready been done ! I really do appreciate the help.

I did get the truck cleaned up, it took me 3 and a half hours with a heated pressure washer. I did get most of the last forty years off of it.
                  So far the "plan" is to get rid of the original 6 cylinder and tranny and put in a 4BTA with a five speed.

I have a 96 dodge with the 6BTA that I have put in a #11 plate and governor springs along with an exhaust brake, 60# valve springs, pyro and boost gauges. I have lost fifth gear, so a buddy and me pulled the tranny and put in a whole new main shaft and fith gear. This truck pulls really well I can't imagine what your truck will do with the gearing you have!

Thanks

Comment

noticed

BR I noticed that you have power steering and a compressor for air conditioning!! What unit did you use forthe steering, and steering column? Are you going to have air conditioning? Sorry so many questions !

Comment

LOL It had clearance problems with everything. I dont think there was any part of this that played nice. There was a bunch of time's I nearly hauled it back behind the barn. My youngest daughter is the one that got this deal going she found it when she was riding her pony last summer and decided she needed Grampa's cool old truck. So how do you say no to a 8 year old?

Santa brought her a set of craftsman tools and a tool box for Xmas and that was all she played with Christmas day was putting her tool box together. We had a lot of fun working on it this winter. Dad had air horns on it and she definitely had to keep the "Honkey thingy's" on it. Loves scaring anybody dumb enough to walk in front of it. I think the poor dog is deaf from have those horns blasted at him.

As to the power steering and column, I don't have a clue what Dad got them off of, I just had hoses made to hook it up and it works like a dream. The air conditioner I want to keep. I am thinking of putting the condenser under the seat and building a box for the fan and some duct work but that will be next year for sure.

What you were seeing in the pic was the hydraulic pump for the wet kit. I am going to run the winch off a hydraulic motor and put remotes on the back, it has a PTO shaft already, we always used it to run the grain augers, It will be the trick for moving equipment around the ranch with the wet kit. I hate roading a tractor 10 miles just to get a bailer back to the shop. So the old PW will have a purpose in life again.

Back to your project if you are going to use the 205 you wont have any trouble at all. I would definitely encourage you to go with the 4bt way simpler in the long run. I had a nv4500 that did what yours did. After the second time that nut came off we tack welded the sucker right to the shaft. Got way over 100k on the truck and the gear has stayed on fine. So if you have more trouble might give it a shot.

You probably would want to keep the starter on the drivers side if you can because your exhaust runs on the passenger and (at least with a 6bt) it is terribly tight. You might ask Charles Talbert about what he recommends.

I don't think the 205 will be any cooler than the 201 because you will be running the lower shaft to power you primary rear end so I think you will still have the same issue. I haven't run mine on the highway enough to know yet how it will act. But I am positive it will need a cooler pulling equipment around.

Comment

thanks for the pix of putting a offset output on the 205... I have been searching everywhere for this swap.. please update once you have run this combo some as to the heat on the highway..

Comment

This is the web site where I got the info to try this, http://mobile.pirate4x4.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=34892

I noticed the other day that I had 90 weight dripping out of the vent hose for the transfer case.
                          It was 80 deg and I had the horse trailer hooked up with a bunch of cattle panels in it.
                          So I think I better get some synthetic oil and a cooler coming before I do that again.
                          It has been fine running empty, but we haven't had any warm weather yet either.

Comment

If you don't have new seals and a known good shaft surface for them to ride on, you will want to wait on the synthetic- it won't stay in very long. Are you planning to pump the oil thru the cooler? I don't think you could get it to thermosiphon like the Model T radiators.

Comment

I have new seals and redi sleeves in it all ready.
                              My brother in law has a catalogue for circle track racing that has coolers and pumps in it, I will probably go with one of those setups.
                              You are spot on about the synthetic, We put it in one of the semi's trying to get the gear box heat to come down and it looked like a rain bird sprinkler when it warmed up.

Comment

Hi guys, another year has rolled by and its time to play in the shop.
                                Rayjon wanted to know how this turned out.
                                Put new seals and redi sleeves in, Filled her with Royal Purple, and forgot about it.
                                Never had any problems with it. Didn't go on any hundred mile trips but hauled a lot of heavy stuff.
                                I am sure it got hot enough, some of the stuff we hooked to the old beast would have made a DOT inspectors day if he happened to have a mobile scale setting in the right place.
                                My daughter has a pic of the flat bed trailer with the John Deere on it. Hooked to the Power Wagon. I will see if I can get it off her Cell Phone.
                                We only hauled it about 2 miles to the neighbors, and it was just for fun.
                                But the old girl did awesome.
                                We had a great time visiting with John about the old truck, and hearing him tell stories about Dad and the Power Wagon.
                                My kids never got to meet my Dad, and this has been a great opportunity for them to hear stories, and get to know him at least a little. From people who knew him well.

Comment

Working...
                                X