Help wanted: I have my sights set on a 1955 De Soto 291 HEMI for my M37

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help wanted: I have my sights set on a 1955 De Soto 291 HEMI for my M37

Engine code is S22. Actually, two blocks are included in the deal I'm contemplating. One engine comes with a machined crank with bearings, reground camshaft, rebuilt connecting rods with ARP bolts, stainless valves and bronze guides (not installed). Block has been magnafluxed and sonic tested. Missing: intake, distributor, flywheel, manifold, timing cover, among other things.
    1) Can anyone provide links to parts suppliers for a stock rebuild?
    2) Any idea on rebuild cost?
    3) Transmission recommended? Should I buy an original M37 transmission?

My truck came without engine and transmission. I'm looking for a resto-mod and want to keep the original look, except for the engine. Thanks in advance.

Contact this company for anything Hemi related. http://hothemiheads.com/index.html. They are in the know on any Hemi and have parts. By the way I took your advice and call my business Indiana Truck Restoration. Thanks for the help. Ron

Comment

I would avoid the stock transmission, it is rather abysmal. I'm not 100% sure what bellhousing the 291 has but I think it's similar to the 727/904. I do know that you can get a bell that will put a Tremec T5 up to the 291, which is where I would go. Can probably find a bell adapter that will let you put some other 5speeds behind it, but you're going to want OD on there so you aren't revving the **** out of it, and a syncro'd first and second is never a bad thing.

Comment

I like your idea! I have an early hemi infatuation though so I'm biased. If the motors you're getting are fairly complete and you're looking to do a stock(ish) build you should be ok. The only issue with the DeSoto's is that they have the poorest parts availability, and some of the highest prices, of the three early hemi flavors (Chrysler, DeSoto, and Dodge). They are great engines though, and if you're not looking for a bunch of speed parts you'll be fine. Like Ron said, Hot Heads has everything there is for these motors.

Your transmission choices are pretty much unlimited, considering the vast variety of adapter plates out there for early hemis (they all use the same bell housing, except for the early Chrysler 331s which have the top half of the bellhousing cast onto the back of the block). The bolt pattern is the same as the later 318/360 blocks but a spacer or "adapter" plate is needed to properly index everything. You can also get adapter plates to run GM or Ford bellhousings if you want to. If you are not going to build too much power into the engine, would like an overdrive, and still plan to drive it like a truck, an NV4500 from a small block powered, mid 90's Dodge would be a good choice. They shift easier than the NP420 four speed the truck came with, have decent gear ratios, and are not terribly difficult or expensive to acquire.

If you have your original divorced transfer case, you will need to pay attention to the overall length of the bellhousing/transmission combination. You will have to have your intermediate shaft modified or a new one built... not a big deal. When fabricating the engine and transmission mounts, care must be taken to ensure that the angle of the intermediate shaft is not too steep, or the u-joints will not last. This is a particular issue when using a modern transmission as most are quite a bit longer than what was installed by the factory.

Each one's truck is an individual. We want them for different reasons, we use them for different things, we have different ideas of what satisfactory performance is and what is aesthetically desirable. It is my opinion that when deciding how to build your truck, the most important thing is to have a clear idea of what you expect the truck to be able to accomplish once it is "done". Everything is somewhat of a compromise, imagine the things you want to do with your truck and build the best compromise between those goals.

Comment

Working...
        X