M37 Generator Brush Check

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M37 Generator Brush Check

Howdy gents, new guy here from Virginia. I have an M37 I have pulled from the depths of Hades and am attempting to resuscitate it. It is still nearly all stock with the 24v system and the standard 230 engine. This week the truck is schooling me again. I have it running and driving now, but it is not charging. I tried polarizing the regulator/generator with no luck. I have taken the sealed Prestolite generator off the truck and taken the pulley off and all screws out of both ends. Now I am stuck. I can't get the generator to come apart. I have searched for hours for instructions on how to do this with no success. Does anyone know how it comes apart? Do I have to force it? I hope not. A new one would cost $300.00 and the core, as you probably well know. Maybe you know of a TM? Instructions? Anything?

Most likely scenario based on your description

The cost of an exchange unit should depend on what the problem is with yours, not a turn key exchange price of $300. The older mil. spec generators (most M37 units) have an oil reservoir in the front cover and a gear type oil slinger that lubes the front bearing. The oil fill plug is under the pulley. It is often neglected, because people don't have a clue it's there, runs dry of oil, most often because the inner seal blows allowing oil to dump into the armature and brush areas of the unit. This of course stops charging function immediately. If yours has no fill plug on the front cover, it is a later style military unit which had sealed bearings, front and rear. When the older units fail due to lack of oil (in the right place), the front end seizes up, likely why you can't get into it easily. That is about the extent of it, we can rebuild it for you if you want to send it in. The most likely scenario as I've described above makes it a tough job (because of seizure) to get into unless you have correct tooling and proper service technique required by these units.

Comment

M37 Brush Check

Charles, thanks for the input. It is a newer model military version (no oiler). What was hanging up was the brushes. I finally got it apart with a large screwdriver and much prying. Alas, due to my lack of knowledge; in prying the rear cover off I pulled the wire out of one of the brushes. The sad part is the brushes were fine. Everything looks fine. I could have put it back together if it weren't for that little wire. I wonder can you just drill a hole in the brush and drip solder in the hole with the wire and it would work? Otherwise I have to order two new brushes.

Comment

Working...
      X