Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member/owner, need help

Hello everyone..
    I have recently bought a 1977 Dodge/Fargo W200 Wrecker. It's pretty much a barn find as it's only got 5600 miles on it, I got it for next to nothing from a small town's auction (who happened to be the owners of the truck)..

The truck runs great it just needs a new radiator, the current one is rusted through. I have big plans for it (engine upgrades, suspension work, tighter steering, disk brakes.. etc)
    I want to start by asking about the possibility of lowering it. I've searched here but couldn't find anything about lowering a W-series truck. It's got a 318 but I'm not sure which diff it has up front.
    Please excuse my bad English, it’s not my first language. Thanks in advance.

Front axle is most likely a Dana 44. Other option is Dana 60 (the "hub" will protrude through the hole in the wheel center by about 6", similar as the rear).

The only feasible way to lower is to remove leafs (front), remove lift blocks (rear)...... Or run the leaf springs under the axle tubes, but this requires fab work & will screw up driveline & steering geometry.

It should already have disc brakes on the front.

Welcome!!!

Bucky

Comment

Thanks Bucky.

I've also heard Eaton Detroit Springs make custom leaf springs that would lower the truck up to 4 inches. Not sure about that, I'll contact them once I have time to find out.

Comment

Yes, negative arch springs will lower the truck as well.

Bucky

Comment

Welcome!
          And your English is as good or better than many for whom it is their FIRST language!

If you don't mind my asking, why do you want to lower it? Sounds like a great truck find.
          1951 B-3 Delux Cab, Braden Winch, 9.00 Power Kings
          1976 M880, power steering, 7.50x16's, flat bed, lots of rust & dents
          1992 W250 CTD, too many mods to list...
          2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

Originally posted by KRB64 View Post
            Welcome!
            And your English is as good or better than many for whom it is their FIRST language!

If you don't mind my asking, why do you want to lower it? Sounds like a great truck find.
            Thank you KRB64, I'd like to be able to daily drive it. It's good as it is now, but I'd prefer it if it were slightly lower, but still be high enough to get over curbs, obstacles and so on. So it won't be anything drastic, just a bit lower than it is currently.

Comment

Eaton Springs is great. I had a set of springs made by them for my 1955 C3 Power Wagon. They have the original blue prints to work from for these trucks. They can definitely help you out.

Clark

Comment

Originally posted by CSCameron View Post
                Eaton Springs is great. I had a set of springs made by them for my 1955 C3 Power Wagon. They have the original blue prints to work from for these trucks. They can definitely help you out.

Clark
                Thanks Clark, I've contact them since and decided to buy wheels and tyres first before placing an order on springs. It'll help me get a better idea on how low I'd want to go.

Comment

Working...
                X