Power steering probpems on a 2002,Dodge 3500 diesel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power steering probpems on a 2002,Dodge 3500 diesel

Well, the steering on my 02 Dodge/Cummins 3500 flatbed has been getting more sluggish as the months go by. The recent cold weather has seemed to make the problem worse. Last week, the PS pump started whining and leaking, and at startup in the cold, the steering was totally dead for about a minute.
    Yesterday my son and I went to NAPA, got a new PS pump and installed it.
    Well, no leaks now, and no whining from pump. HOWEVER, the steering is even more sluggish, almost dead at times.
    Could we have gotten a bad pump, or, could the steering gearbox be going bad? It seems the steering is more sluggish turning right than it is turning left.
    How common is it for the PS gearbox to go bad? The truck only has 224,000 miles on it.
    Jeff

Update

Drove truck a lot today. Poqwer steering from time to time becomes sluggish and may now and then lose all power. AT THE SAME TIME it goes dead, the power brakes go "dead" and I get a hard brake pedal.
    Why on earth would the power to both the brakes and steering system, go dead at the same time? I am totally baffled now.
    Jeff

Comment

Jeff, my guess would be that your truck is equipted with hydro-boost for the brake booster, which is supplied by your power steering pump. If I remember correctly, you stated that you replaced your pump, so I would be inclined to say that you have air in your system. I have converted a couple of first gen. trucks to this system, and it was quite difficult to get the system bled. I ultimately used a piece of universal radiator hose clamped to the resevoir filler neck in order to increase the fluid capacity during the bleeding process, so that it couldn't suck air. I can't remember where I found those instructions, but I think they might have been with the kit that I bought from www.vancopbs.com . Good luck! Doug

Comment

doug,
        Thanks for the reply. I believe you have hit the nail on the head. Sat., I topped off the pump with oil, clear to the top of the filler neck. Drove it some, and when I parked it, it spit out oil all over the place. I did this 2 more times, and finally the steering and brakes seemed to be normal again. Drove it on and off yesterday on several errands around tow and had no problems. Keeping my fingers crossed, but I think all the air is out of the system.
        Now, all I have to do is clean up the mess I made on my driveway. PS fluid all over the concrete. (No, I did not go buy a piece of radiator hose).
        Jeff

Comment

Good things learned here!
          Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

The proper way to bleed the system is jackup the front and with the engine running turn the steering wheel from lock to lock 20 to 40 times. If you have a lot of air in the system check the fluid level every 5 to 10 turns.

Comment

Working...
            X