The WC53 Carryall thread .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bruce in BC View Post
    When a roof gets walked on or something heavy pushes the roof down it should be possible to pop the dent up and hammer away. How you pop the dent up may be accomplished in many ways . A big old rubber mallet works on occasion and after that you go bigger if necessary .
    Your roof was smooshed . It had folds and rinkles and structural pieces bent besides just the skin .
    When a large tree gets close and personal with your vehicle the patented Ugg method is the standard way to go . Been there done that .
    Bruce
    BC Bruce:

Ah, so that's how ya define SMOOSHED! HA! Yeah, I see ya know whereas ya speak. Proper way to remove dents is to reverse the impact. Work your way from where impact ended to where it started.

Originally posted by Bruce in BC View Post
    Just got in from a all night search . I need someone else to build my truck. Like Overhaulin .
    NOOOOOOOOOOO, not them! You'll get it back all slammed with rubberband tires on it. Hey Bruce, you guys use dogs on your searches?

Originally posted by Jake View Post
    I used a short 2x4 on top of the twenty ton hydraulic jack and pushed it out wrinkles and all. However the size of hammer and dolly required to finess the metal at this point is'nt available at any supply shops that I'm aware of.
    My final solution was to buy another cab and park the original behind the shop untill my skills catch up to the task or.....
    Jake:

Sure they do. They still sell 3 & 5 lb mini sledges. They work well with the general purpose dolly. However, if ya ain't used to it, your hands do tire FAST, and hurt even faster. HA!

Later
    Ugg

Comment

You're right Ugg,
      With a set of ear plugs in, steel toe'd boots strapped on, safety glasses tied to your head and the phone of the hook the job would get done sooner or later, probably later becouse of operator fatigue. LOL.

Comment

How is this for patina ?

Brush paint your truck , then spray a different colour on top . Let the whole mess set up for a week and then wet sand it down. You could then follow up with a buff or clear coat .

I do like the brush job . There is a fair amount of humour behind brush painting a truck and managing to get the paint to create its own topographical profile . They must have painted straight from the can sans thinner . Either that or mixed some glue into the pot .

There is some history here . At present any ofthis carryalls past life is lost to me . looking at the number of paint jobs this vehicle must have gone through a few transformations and uses over it,s life . Has anyone noticed the number of carryalls that have come out of casper Wyoming ? I have noticed quite a few over the years . Not sure where mine originated from but It was from Wyoming and Casper came up in conversation when i purchased the heap .

searches - yes we use dogs on a rare occasion . They fly them in with handlers . I was on a team with one a year back.

best regards

Bruce
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Jake View Post
          I used a short 2x4 on top of the twenty ton hydraulic jack and pushed it out wrinkles and all. However the size of hammer and dolly required to finess the metal at this point is'nt available at any supply shops that I'm aware of.
          My final solution was to buy another cab and park the original behind the shop untill my skills catch up to the task or.....
          Ha!Ha!
          My first attempt at using conventional body tools on a Dodge almost resulted in me being knocked out! The body hammer flew back off of that 16 ga sheetmetal at quite a velocity! ha!ha!
          MN

Comment

Originally posted by MoparNorm View Post
            Ha!Ha!
            My first attempt at using conventional body tools on a Dodge almost resulted in me being knocked out! The body hammer flew back off of that 16 ga sheetmetal at quite a velocity! ha!ha!
            MN
            Norm:

ALL the old stuff was made like that, not just Dodges. All the old time bodymen I knew all had Popeye arms. I had totally forgotten about that when we started on the Beast. Then I STILL went at it for 30 minutes. HA! Ya really have to be careful when switching from working on an old truck to something modern. HA!

Later
            Ugg

Comment

Body metal thickness on the carryall .

14 guage on the fenders, which is very difficult to straighten.

14 guage on the firewall.

16 on the body.

18 guage on the doors and roof ? I will check and update this later.

14 guage on the floor.

22 guage on the glove box door skin.

I will update later.

Bruce

Comment

BC Bruce:

Ya forgot the runningboards. I think they are #2 gauge. HA!

Later
                Ugg

Comment

Hey Bruce,
                  nice to see you got the posting down. how about those kids, they sure got the computer thing down.
                  Gordon's right, i think u ought to do a feature on this stuff. :)

Comment

Thanks for the kind words Jake

I am going to blast off a couple of articles for Gordon ASAP . Up to my ying yang in marking & report cards but I will make room .
                    I got a few hours in on the Carryall tonight and I got to watch a master at work . I pulled the top of the rad shell off and did some hammer work and very subtle straightening. I even hammerd out a dip that is supposed to be there. Hammered it back in too. The correct term for pounding on metal is "bumped " but why confuse myself with such technical jargon ?

Any ways Mathew , my lost bodyman. turned up and worked for an hour . I only see him on Mondays when he turns up for night school . Mathew attacked my drivers side rear fender . This fender is down right nasty . It is bent . It is twisted and it has been pounded on with a sledge or ballpeen hammer. After about 40 minutes he managed to get the lip almost back to the correct radius and some of the roll is back in the one spot . I would have taken at least 3 hours to get that far and there would be an even chance that I would have screwed up . Nice to see a master at work .

Gotta run .
                    You folks take care.

Bruce

Comment

corner damage

Here are a couple of photos of my Carryalls rear corners. One nasty dent and one rotted out section that was once fixed with a soldered in panel.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Hi Jawgrowth:

Man, dem's some NASTY corners. Is that one chewed out from the drivers side? If so, I can give ya that corner when I replaced the side panel. BTW, ya ever get the wench, er winch done? A guy over in Hawaii added a wich to his Carryall, and it looks real spiffy. He even monted a snatch block on the back side of the bumper. IF I ever get back on my computer (and also IF I remember), I'll post a picture of it.

Later
                        Ugg

Comment

Ugg, the winch is still on the list to do - too many priorities in front off it. In winter the garage is so full I can barely walk in it. BTW - chassis's make good storage benchs. Here are some photos.

I really like this Carryall thread - I wish more Carryall owners would post. I'm sticking with stock body exterior and drivetrain, the interior will be updated on both.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Jawgroth:

A lot DO post here. More stuff in the WW II section, but maybe Gordon will make us a special section. We can call it "All Things Carryall" or sumpthin (remember though, there were ONLY 8400 WC 53's made, EVER). 2 CARRYALL'S! I'm jealous! And a garage you can park em in, I'm even more jealous! Why don't ya have em BOTH running yet? Getting married and having 3 kids is NO excuse. Where are your priorites man! HA!

Later
                            Ugg

Comment

The Carryalls are definitly cool trucks, I am still working on aquiring a 1941 1/2 ton from a guy an hour down the road from me. I think its a WC 11 with civilian rear fenders.
                              He is still using it to spray water on the road for dust control.
                              Hey Jawgroth, maybe you should raise the ceiling on your shop and have room to store thjose Carryalls on the second floor, better yet I can store them for you in my shop for the next 50 years or so.

Comment

Got some new photos I see .

Nice smoosh job on the right rear quarter Jaws. I think the best way to tackle that one would be to weld some tabs on the low spots and pull in the opposite direction that the dent was formed . Have the inner panel removed and hammer to suit .
                                I have a new valance made up for under the rear door. Most seem to be bashed to rats poop and I had one made up as sort of a trial and see what it would cost to do a small run . This is on hold at present . The reason is simple . The valance is very nice, but I have no idea how accurate it is . I have no rear tailgate to check it with . The old valance was straightened and checked for fit but without the tailgate the radius may be off a tad.
                                Please keep us posted of any progress and provide shots as the trucks come apart or go together.
                                These trucks may have been butt ugly at one time but many seem to have won over their owners over the years . I think there is more out there than one would think .

best regards

Bruce

Comment

Working...
                                X